Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

A great JEWISH Letter

Posted by on Aug. 12, 2013 at 1:20 PM
  • 24 Replies
2 moms liked this

I found this on the internet. I kind love it just a bit. Dr. Laura Schlessinger is a radio personality who dispenses advice to people who call in to her radio show. Recently, she said that, as an observant Orthodox Jew, homosexuality is an abomination according to Leviticus 18:22 and cannot be condoned under any circumstance. The following is an open letter to Dr. Laura penned by a east coast resident, which was posted on the Internet. It's funny, as well as informative: Dear Dr. Laura: Thank you for doing so much to educate people regarding God's Law. I have learned a great deal from your show, and try to share that knowledge with as many people as I can. When someone tries to defend the homosexual lifestyle, for example, I simply remind them that Leviticus 18:22 clearly states it to be an abomination. End of debate. I do need some advice from you, however, regarding some of the other specific laws and how to follow them: When I burn a bull on the altar as a sacrifice, I know it creates a pleasing odor for the Lord - Lev.1:9. The problem is my neighbors. They claim the odor is not pleasing to them. Should I smite them? I would like to sell my daughter into slavery, as sanctioned in Exodus 21:7. In this day and age, what do you think would be a fair price for her? I know that I am allowed no contact with a woman while she is in her period of menstrual uncleanliness - Lev.15:19- 24. The problem is, how do I tell? I have tried asking, but most women take offense. Lev. 25:44 states that I may indeed possess slaves, both male and female, provided they are purchased from neighboring nations. A friend of mine claims that this applies to Mexicans, but not Canadians. Can you clarify? Why can't I own Canadians? I have a neighbor who insists on working on the Sabbath. Exodus 35:2 clearly states he should be put to death. Am I morally obligated to kill him myself? A friend of mine feels that even though eating shellfish is an abomination - Lev. 11:10, it is a lesser abomination than homosexuality. I don't agree. Can you settle this? Lev. 21:20 states that I may not approach the altar of God if I have a defect in my sight. I have to admit that I wear reading glasses. Does my vision have to be 20/20, or is there some wiggle room here? Most of my male friends get their hair trimmed, including the hair around their temples, even though this is expressly forbidden by Lev. 19:27. How should they die? I know from Lev. 11:6-8 that touching the skin of a dead pig makes me unclean, but may I still play football if I wear gloves? My uncle has a farm. He violates Lev. 19:19 by planting two different crops in the same field, as does his wife by wearing garments made of two different kinds of thread (cotton/polyester blend). He also tends to curse and blaspheme a lot. Is it really necessary that we go to all the trouble of getting the whole town together to stone them? - Lev.24:10-16. Couldn't we just burn them to death at a private family affair like we do with people who sleep with their in-laws? (Lev. 20:14) I know you have studied these things extensively, so I am confident you can help. Thank you again for reminding us that God's word is eternal and unchanging. Your devoted fan, Jim

by on Aug. 12, 2013 at 1:20 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
romanceparty4u
by Ruby Member on Aug. 12, 2013 at 1:24 PM

I would suppose you should change the title to a "great Jewish letter" as Jews are not Christians, and most would be highly offended if we refer to them in that manner.

Christians don't follow the old testament, their instructions for life come from Jesus. And the Jews do not believe Jesus is "Christ", therefore--they aren't Christians. They don't read the new testament.

Quoting Schauseil:

I found this on the internet. I kind love it just a bit. Dr. Laura Schlessinger is a radio personality who dispenses advice to people who call in to her radio show. Recently, she said that, as an observant Orthodox Jew, homosexuality is an abomination according to Leviticus 18:22 and cannot be condoned under any circumstance. The following is an open letter to Dr. Laura penned by a east coast resident, which was posted on the Internet. It's funny, as well as informative: Dear Dr. Laura: Thank you for doing so much to educate people regarding God's Law. I have learned a great deal from your show, and try to share that knowledge with as many people as I can. When someone tries to defend the homosexual lifestyle, for example, I simply remind them that Leviticus 18:22 clearly states it to be an abomination. End of debate. I do need some advice from you, however, regarding some of the other specific laws and how to follow them: When I burn a bull on the altar as a sacrifice, I know it creates a pleasing odor for the Lord - Lev.1:9. The problem is my neighbors. They claim the odor is not pleasing to them. Should I smite them? I would like to sell my daughter into slavery, as sanctioned in Exodus 21:7. In this day and age, what do you think would be a fair price for her? I know that I am allowed no contact with a woman while she is in her period of menstrual uncleanliness - Lev.15:19- 24. The problem is, how do I tell? I have tried asking, but most women take offense. Lev. 25:44 states that I may indeed possess slaves, both male and female, provided they are purchased from neighboring nations. A friend of mine claims that this applies to Mexicans, but not Canadians. Can you clarify? Why can't I own Canadians? I have a neighbor who insists on working on the Sabbath. Exodus 35:2 clearly states he should be put to death. Am I morally obligated to kill him myself? A friend of mine feels that even though eating shellfish is an abomination - Lev. 11:10, it is a lesser abomination than homosexuality. I don't agree. Can you settle this? Lev. 21:20 states that I may not approach the altar of God if I have a defect in my sight. I have to admit that I wear reading glasses. Does my vision have to be 20/20, or is there some wiggle room here? Most of my male friends get their hair trimmed, including the hair around their temples, even though this is expressly forbidden by Lev. 19:27. How should they die? I know from Lev. 11:6-8 that touching the skin of a dead pig makes me unclean, but may I still play football if I wear gloves? My uncle has a farm. He violates Lev. 19:19 by planting two different crops in the same field, as does his wife by wearing garments made of two different kinds of thread (cotton/polyester blend). He also tends to curse and blaspheme a lot. Is it really necessary that we go to all the trouble of getting the whole town together to stone them? - Lev.24:10-16. Couldn't we just burn them to death at a private family affair like we do with people who sleep with their in-laws? (Lev. 20:14) I know you have studied these things extensively, so I am confident you can help. Thank you again for reminding us that God's word is eternal and unchanging. Your devoted fan, Jim

Schauseil
by Bronze Member on Aug. 12, 2013 at 1:32 PM

Well I suppose you are right. I just found the whole this funny and didn't pay that much attention to detail. 

Quoting romanceparty4u:

I would suppose you should change the title to a "great Jewish letter" as Jews are not Christians, and most would be highly offended if we refer to them in that manner.

Christians don't follow the old testament, their instructions for life come from Jesus. And the Jews do not believe Jesus is "Christ", therefore--they aren't Christians. They don't read the new testament.

Quoting Schauseil:

supercarp
by on Aug. 12, 2013 at 1:47 PM

a great letter.

supercarp
by on Aug. 12, 2013 at 1:52 PM

To say that Christians don't follow the Old Testament is inaccurate. Jesus was Jewish and followed the old testament. Christians follow Jesus. So, by the transitive property... Anyway, Christianity is an offshoot of Judaism. The title in only because Dr Laura is a Jew. There are a great many Christians who believe as she does on this issue for the same reason.

Quoting romanceparty4u:

collectivecow
by Member on Aug. 14, 2013 at 10:31 PM
2 moms liked this

I was raised as an Orthodox Jew.
Yes, your title IS insulting.

Not because:
- The expressed ignorance about Judaism
- The fact that Orthodox Jews actually do follow the laws in the Jewish Bible (making the response irrelevant)
- The fact that the letter is over 10 years old (I'm in my 30's and remember seeing this in the 90's)
- "Jim" is probably not Jewish to begin with

It's insulting because it implies one woman's opinion speaks for the Jewish community. This is atypical of the type of things seen by people who 'assume' they know all about Judaism.

A baalet teshuvah (a Jew who is returning to Judaism), may not be as familiar with Judaism.
First, she was incorrect in her statement to begin with.

Judaism is divided into branches, the same way that Christianity is divided into denominations.
The main branches are:
Orthodox, Conservative, Reform, Reconstructionist, Humanistic

The percentage of Jewish voters voting for LGBT rights is 78% (higher than liberal democrats), with 19% undecided and 9% against. That's higher than any religious group in the US as well.

What branches of Judaism are for equal marriage rights, ordain LGBTs, and marry LGBT partners?

- Humanistic
- Reconstructionist
- Reform
- Conservative

You can view information from the Human Rights Campaign Website here: http://www.hrc.org/resources/entry/stances-of-faiths-on-lgbt-issues-judaism

I'll subpost the article.

Secondly: We don't follow the Old Testament, we follow the Tanakh.

- The Old Testament is a Christian theological statement.

The statement 'Old Testament' is a definition of how Christianity views the Jewish Bible in comparison to the New Testament. Something "old" is not nearly as valuable as something new. It's an insulting implication, since we don't feel the Tanakh is old at all.

The Jewish Bible is called the Tanakh, which is an acronym for:

Torah (The First Five Books of Moses)
 Nevi'im (Prophets)
 Kethu'vima (Writings)
Orthodox Jews follow Written Law (Tanakh) and Oral Law (Talmud).

- The books seen in the Christian "Old Testament" are there, but arranged differently.
- Certain books are considered 1 book in Tanakh, 2 in the OT (Samuel/Kings/Chronicles/Prophets/Ezra)
- Some Christians use extra books, which are called deuterocanonical (or apocrypha).
- These books are found in early Greek translations but were rejected by the rabbis.
- Jewish publishers use different versification scheme than Christian publishers.
- There are many different translation differences

Important notes about Judaism:
1. Only Jews are required to follow the 613 commandments
2. These laws don't apply to anyone who isn't Jewish

jconney80
by Gold Member on Aug. 14, 2013 at 10:59 PM
1 mom liked this
I don't like that woman. Something is wrong with her
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
collectivecow
by Member on Aug. 15, 2013 at 7:31 PM

Found this out today:

Her mother was Catholic.

She converted to Judaism the year she said this stuff, then renounced Judaism 3 years later.

Citation: http://forward.com/articles/7887/dr-laura-loses-her-religion/

Syndicated nationally since 1994, Schlessinger has won over listeners with her hard-edged advice and razor-sharp tongue.

Yet her brash style, not to mention her espousal of a strict “moral health” code — including controversial condemnations of homosexuality as “a biological error” — put her at odds with wide swaths of the Jewish community.

Many found her moralist, black-and-white, you’re-with-me-or- against-me stance to be more representative of Evangelical Christians than of Jews, who were often among her most outspoken critics.

"Nonetheless, even Schlessinger’s detractors were shocked by the news.

“I can’t tell you how significant this is,” said fellow Jewish media star and “Kosher Sex” author Rabbi Shmuley Boteach, who has sparred with Schlessinger over her comments on homosexuality.

“Dr. Laura always equated her morals and ethics with Jewish morals and ethic
s.
That placed the American Jewish community in a real fix; on the one hand, she made Judaism very popular, on the other, she made it vilified and hated by many people.”

“I think Judaism is better off not being saddled with Dr. Laura’s means,” he said, adding, “although she is still a Jew.”

Schlessinger began her August 5 program by noting that, prior to each broadcast, she spends an hour reading faxes from fans and listeners.
“By and large the faxes from Christians have been very loving, very supportive,” she said. “From my own religion, I have either gotten nothing, which is 99% of it, or two of the nastiest letters I have gotten in a long time. I guess that’s my point — I don’t get much back. Not much warmth coming back.”

Schlessinger even hinted at a possible turn to Christianity — a move that, radio insiders say, would elevate her career far beyond the 300 stations that currently syndicate her show. “I have envied all my Christian friends who really, universally, deeply feel loved by God,” she said. “They use the name Jesus when they refer to God… that was a mystery, being connected to God.”

In her 25 years on radio, Schlessinger said she was moved “time and time again” by listeners who wrote and described that they had “joined a church, felt loved by God and that was my anchor.”

http://www.snopes.com/politics/religion/drlaura.asp

blessedwith
by on Aug. 15, 2013 at 7:42 PM

Much of this is a rewrite of things said on the West Wing TV show as well, first season first episode.

Schauseil
by Bronze Member on Aug. 15, 2013 at 10:19 PM
and I don't care. Most religous beliefs are stupid imo. You can believe however you want, I fine with it and support your right to do so. But the letter is still funny regardless of how accurate or old it may or may not be.

Quoting collectivecow:

Yes, your title IS insulting.

Not because:
- The expressed ignorance about Judaism
- The fact that Orthodox Jews actually do follow the laws in the Jewish Bible (making the response irrelevant)
- The fact that the letter is over 10 years old (I'm in my 30's and remember seeing this in the 90's)
- "Jim" is probably not Jewish to begin with

It's insulting because it implies one woman's opinion speaks for the Jewish community. This is atypical of the type of things seen by people who 'assume' they know all about Judaism.

A baalet teshuvah (a Jew who is returning to Judaism), may not be as familiar with Judaism.
First, she was incorrect in her statement to begin with.

Judaism is divided into branches, the same way that Christianity is divided into denominations.
The main branches are:
Orthodox, Conservative, Reform, Reconstructionist, Humanistic

The percentage of Jewish voters voting for LGBT rights is 78% (higher than liberal democrats), with 19% undecided and 9% against. That's higher than any religious group in the US as well.

What branches of Judaism are for equal marriage rights, ordain LGBTs, and marry LGBT partners?

- Humanistic
- Reconstructionist
- Reform
- Conservative

You can view information from the Human Rights Campaign Website here: http://www.hrc.org/resources/entry/stances-of-faiths-on-lgbt-issues-judaism

I'll subpost the article.

Secondly: We don't follow the Old Testament, we follow the Tanakh.

- The Old Testament is a Christian theological statement.

The statement 'Old Testament' is a definition of how Christianity views the Jewish Bible in comparison to the New Testament. Something "old" is not nearly as valuable as something new. It's an insulting implication, since we don't feel the Tanakh is old at all.

The Jewish Bible is called the Tanakh, which is an acronym for:

Torah (The First Five Books of Moses)
 Nevi'im (Prophets)
 Kethu'vima (Writings)
Orthodox Jews follow Written Law (Tanakh) and Oral Law (Talmud).

- The books seen in the Christian "Old Testament" are there, but arranged differently.
- Certain books are considered 1 book in Tanakh, 2 in the OT (Samuel/Kings/Chronicles/Prophets/Ezra)
- Some Christians use extra books, which are called deuterocanonical (or apocrypha).
- These books are found in early Greek translations but were rejected by the rabbis.
- Jewish publishers use different versification scheme than Christian publishers.
- There are many different translation differences

Important notes about Judaism:
1. Only Jews are required to follow the 613 commandments
2. These laws don't apply to anyone who isn't Jewish

Schauseil
by Bronze Member on Aug. 15, 2013 at 10:23 PM
And this is a bigh problem I have with mainstreaming religion. It is highly misrepresented. I don't think the average jewish person has ever thought the way she did. Most people view their religion in a respectable manor the way you do.

Quoting collectivecow:

Found this out today:

Her mother was Catholic.

She converted to Judaism the year she said this stuff, then renounced Judaism 3 years later.

Citation: http://forward.com/articles/7887/dr-laura-loses-her-religion/

Syndicated nationally since 1994, Schlessinger has won over listeners with her hard-edged advice and razor-sharp tongue.

Yet her brash style, not to mention her espousal of a strict “moral health” code — including controversial condemnations of homosexuality as “a biological error” — put her at odds with wide swaths of the Jewish community.

Many found her moralist, black-and-white, you’re-with-me-or- against-me stance to be more representative of Evangelical Christians than of Jews, who were often among her most outspoken critics.

"Nonetheless, even Schlessinger’s detractors were shocked by the news.

“I can’t tell you how significant this is,” said fellow Jewish media star and “Kosher Sex” author Rabbi Shmuley Boteach, who has sparred with Schlessinger over her comments on homosexuality.

“Dr. Laura always equated her morals and ethics with Jewish morals and ethic
s.
That placed the American Jewish community in a real fix; on the one hand, she made Judaism very popular, on the other, she made it vilified and hated by many people.”

“I think Judaism is better off not being saddled with Dr. Laura’s means,” he said, adding, “although she is still a Jew.”

Schlessinger began her August 5 program by noting that, prior to each broadcast, she spends an hour reading faxes from fans and listeners.
“By and large the faxes from Christians have been very loving, very supportive,” she said. “From my own religion, I have either gotten nothing, which is 99% of it, or two of the nastiest letters I have gotten in a long time. I guess that’s my point — I don’t get much back. Not much warmth coming back.”

Schlessinger even hinted at a possible turn to Christianity — a move that, radio insiders say, would elevate her career far beyond the 300 stations that currently syndicate her show. “I have envied all my Christian friends who really, universally, deeply feel loved by God,” she said. “They use the name Jesus when they refer to God… that was a mystery, being connected to God.”

In her 25 years on radio, Schlessinger said she was moved “time and time again” by listeners who wrote and described that they had “joined a church, felt loved by God and that was my anchor.”

http://www.snopes.com/politics/religion/drlaura.asp

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)