Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Poison Ivy & a 4yr old:

Posted by on May. 7, 2007 at 12:55 PM
  • 9 Replies
Does anyone have any suggestions? My 4yr old has it. Just showed up last night on his arms and legs and I know it takes up to 5 days to totally appear, then a week (at least) to go away. We have the clear calamine, which seems to be working pretty good. Do you think Benedryl would be good at night. I know cool baths help too.
by on May. 7, 2007 at 12:55 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
Mshellface
by on May. 7, 2007 at 12:57 PM
If you have a herbal health store near you, I know the one in out neighborhood sells soap that helpsrelieve the itching, it works really good. Good Luck!!
MaMaCathy
by on May. 7, 2007 at 1:00 PM
Hi, Sorry about the Ivy...My son and I are real suseptible to it.  I do believe Benadryl will help with the itching from the inside out...Also with the reaction to it.  As a reminder, be careful of the eyes.  Spreading is so easy, You'd think it was my son that ended up with that problem, but nooooo...It was me.  If it gets too bad, head to the doctor and they can give medication, pills or shot to try to dry it up.  I hope that you guys do okay and that it eases off fast.  Take care, Cathy
Mammaofthree369
by on May. 7, 2007 at 1:00 PM
Try and find some jewels weed and break it open and rub it where ever it is on the body.It works really well and helps get rid of it quicker!
lynn96
by on May. 7, 2007 at 1:18 PM
here is a good website.  Just went through the same thing with my 9 year old.  Gives lots of hints and ideas.  http://www.cattail.nu/ivy/   here is another site as well.  This one is more a commercial site but he has pictures of what poison ivy looks like.  www.poison-ivy.org/  hope this helps.

Lynn
ARMom3x
by on May. 7, 2007 at 1:22 PM
Ivarest dries it up really fast and eliminates the itching better than calamine lotion.
AlabamaMom2
by on May. 7, 2007 at 1:23 PM
Colloidal oatmeal or baking soda in the bathwater will help, too.
Jessmom
by on May. 7, 2007 at 1:36 PM
Thanks for all the good advice!
erinbills
by on May. 7, 2007 at 1:41 PM

I found that getting into a pool for a while gets rid of it very quickly. There is a lot of it around here and every time I would get some on my feet once I was in the pool for a while the chlorine would dry it up.

luvmyboys2
by on May. 7, 2007 at 1:43 PM
I took my son to the dr last week for that...It must be the season... He told me to just rub Cortaid on it.  I did that & the next day the redness around it was gone & the day after that he wasnt itching (as much) and now its finally gone. 

Good luck!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)