Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

GEOGRAPHIC TONGUE!!

Posted by on Aug. 15, 2013 at 9:49 PM
  • 29 Replies
my dd just got diagnose with a geographic tongue. has anyone heard or seen or have. can you also tell me if its bad will she have speech problems or what? im a little freaked but the doctor said its nothing to be worried about. ive read that there could be something to worry about.
by on Aug. 15, 2013 at 9:49 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Mrs.Pedro
by Silver Member on Aug. 15, 2013 at 9:52 PM
I've heard of it and known a girl who had it. She was just fine. Everything I've read about it says it is harmless.
tiarra7022
by Member on Aug. 15, 2013 at 9:53 PM
1 mom liked this

I have this and was diagnosed as a child. Nothing to worry about. I dont even notice it at all now. My speech is just fine. 

quickbooksworm
by Silver Member on Aug. 15, 2013 at 9:54 PM
1 mom liked this

I used to be a dental assistant.  It's just referring to the color of her tongue.  It's like being diagnosed with freckles. 

katherine50
by on Aug. 15, 2013 at 9:56 PM
Did kids make fun of you? I think its cool I looked at some pics and some designs are cool

Quoting tiarra7022:

I have this and was diagnosed as a child. Nothing to worry about. I dont even notice it at all now. My speech is just fine. 

katherine50
by on Aug. 15, 2013 at 9:57 PM
and thank you all for telling me its nothing it eased my mind alot
tiarra7022
by Member on Aug. 15, 2013 at 9:59 PM

To be honest I dont think anyone every knew. My best friend might of but I never had anyone point it out. As I got older it got harder and harder to see. I used to see pretty neat designs but now I cant even tell. 

Quoting katherine50:

Did kids make fun of you? I think its cool I looked at some pics and some designs are cool

Quoting tiarra7022:

katherine50
by on Aug. 15, 2013 at 10:10 PM
Cool thank you dd tongue just looks like a river and I was worried she would be made fun of. Thank you

Quoting tiarra7022:

To be honest I dont think anyone every knew. My best friend might of but I never had anyone point it out. As I got older it got harder and harder to see. I used to see pretty neat designs but now I cant even tell. 

Quoting katherine50:

Quoting tiarra7022:

Purple_Pixie
by on Aug. 16, 2013 at 5:28 PM
My oldest 17 and my 4 year old both have this. No issues at all from it with either one.
rmfanfgljf
by Gold Member on Aug. 16, 2013 at 5:33 PM
1 mom liked this
My girls have it, the only thing it affects is the food they eat when they have an outbreak. It's doesn't affect there speech and it really isn't anything to worry about.....just watch the reaction when your child eats pizza, spicy food, or acidic foods too. Make a list of what foods bother her and when and avoid those foods during an outbreak. There are times my oldest dd can't eat pizza because it tastes too spicy or Hot to her.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SueUK
by on Aug. 16, 2013 at 5:35 PM
1 mom liked this

I have it and so does my almost 6yr old. Had it all my life I'm 46 now. No problems...sometimes certain foods sting a little, but mine is quite craggy too. Nothing to stress over chill mama.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)