Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

I hate car seats! PIOG

Posted by on Aug. 16, 2013 at 7:44 AM
  • 21 Replies

My sister is looking for some new car seats. She has a three year old (34 pounds, 40 inches tall), one who will be two in December (29 pounds, 33 inches), and one on the way.

She's looking at the Graco Nautilus 3-in-1 for the two older ones. Is that a good seat for them?

She's also looking at the Graco My Ride 65 for the baby (when it gets here).

Do any of you have these car seats? Are they good sizes for kids of those ages?

Thanks for any help you're willing to provide!

by on Aug. 16, 2013 at 7:44 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Kmary
by Silver Member on Aug. 16, 2013 at 7:52 AM

People love to spout off about which car seats are the "best" or the safest.  But really if a car seat has made it to store shelves, it has gone through rigorous testing and safety standards, so even the cheap ones are doing a more than adequate job.  To say one is safer than another with the way standards are is like saying my head is closer to the sun than my feet are.  I mean, sure, it's technically true, but the difference is practically negligible, know what I mean?  What makes a car seat a good one is whether it's agood fit in one's specific vehicle.  Some work better in some cars than others.  As long as her kids heights and weights fit within the ranges of the seats and fit properly in her vehicle then she's fine!

IncognitoOne
by Angela-Marie on Aug. 16, 2013 at 7:56 AM

Those seats are fine. I'd RF at least the almost two year old, but that's her choice for her kid, not mine ;)

MamaRae85
by Bronze Member on Aug. 16, 2013 at 7:56 AM

I think I should clarify a little bit as to why she has to get a new seat. Her one year old is already too big for the cheapo convertible seat that they have! lol I guess I was just wondering more if the 3-in-1 is an appropriate seat for her even though she's only 1. I was assuming that it was fine because it does have a 5 point harness. Is that correct?

I appreciate the answer. It makes sense. Thanks! =)

Quoting Kmary:

People love to spout off about which car seats are the "best" or the safest.  But really if a car seat has made it to store shelves, it has gone through rigorous testing and safety standards, so even the cheap ones are doing a more than adequate job.  To say one is safer than another with the way standards are is like saying my head is closer to the sun than my feet are.  I mean, sure, it's technically true, but the difference is practically negligible, know what I mean?  What makes a car seat a good one is whether it's agood fit in one's specific vehicle.  Some work better in some cars than others.  As long as her kids heights and weights fit within the ranges of the seats and fit properly in her vehicle then she's fine!

Kmary
by Silver Member on Aug. 16, 2013 at 7:59 AM

Oh I see now :-)  Yes, I believe it would be fine.  Remember it's always important to go by weight, not age.  The impact from a car accident doesn't have anything to do with age, but weight.  I think the 3 in 1 would be fine even if the child is a bit younger than normal for it, provided they fall within the confines of the height/weight restricitons of the seat itself.

Quoting MamaRae85:

I think I should clarify a little bit as to why she has to get a new seat. Her one year old is already too big for the cheapo convertible seat that they have! lol I guess I was just wondering more if the 3-in-1 is an appropriate seat for her even though she's only 1. I was assuming that it was fine because it does have a 5 point harness. Is that correct?

I appreciate the answer. It makes sense. Thanks! =)

Quoting Kmary:

MamaRae85
by Bronze Member on Aug. 16, 2013 at 7:59 AM

lol I didn't even think about getting answers like this. Thanks for the reminder. I'm not being snarky, I'm glad someone said something about it while being nice about it. =)

She'll be forward faced, I guess. I wouldn't either, but it's (as you said) up to her. To be fair, though, I think she intends to rear face the next baby for as long as possible. =)

Quoting IncognitoOne:

Those seats are fine. I'd RF at least the almost two year old, but that's her choice for her kid, not mine ;)

IncognitoOne
by Angela-Marie on Aug. 16, 2013 at 8:04 AM

:)

At least she's thinking about keeping the baby RF longer.

Quoting MamaRae85:

lol I didn't even think about getting answers like this. Thanks for the reminder. I'm not being snarky, I'm glad someone said something about it while being nice about it. =)

She'll be forward faced, I guess. I wouldn't either, but it's (as you said) up to her. To be fair, though, I think she intends to rear face the next baby for as long as possible. =)

Quoting IncognitoOne:

MamaRae85
by Bronze Member on Aug. 16, 2013 at 8:08 AM
1 mom liked this

Yeah. It's one of those things with the middle child where she doesn't feel like fighting about it anymore. Yeah, it's not the best, and she's said as much, but I know she loves her kids and she's a great mom. She just gets so burnt out sometimes (her husband has been deployed a lot since she had her first kid), so I can kind of understand. Lord knows there's plenty of parenting faux pas I make (chocolate cereal in front of the TV ::cough:: today ::cough::)! LOL

Quoting IncognitoOne:

:)

At least she's thinking about keeping the baby RF longer.

Quoting MamaRae85:

Quoting IncognitoOne:

Hello07
by on Aug. 16, 2013 at 8:17 AM

Mobile Photo

I like the grace head wise 70 convertible carseat.

Target has them and right now I believe they are 20% off.

It works great, it fits the 7, 5, 4, and newborn.
Hello07
by on Aug. 16, 2013 at 8:17 AM
We currently have a britax one and just got this one about two months ago for an extra. I really like it.
IncognitoOne
by Angela-Marie on Aug. 16, 2013 at 8:30 AM

I have the MySize70....and I do love it. But I wouldn't buy a seat that rear faces for the older two unless she plans on rear facing them.

Quoting Hello07:

Mobile Photo

I like the grace head wise 70 convertible carseat.

Target has them and right now I believe they are 20% off.

It works great, it fits the 7, 5, 4, and newborn.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)