Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Black & White "culture" what does that even mean?

Posted by on Aug. 17, 2013 at 3:48 AM
  • 15 Replies

Seriously.  I am in no way trying to be sarcastic.
When I read an excerpt from a book that touched upon the subject of "Black culture" and "White culture" creating a seperation or even segregation of students, I was left confused.
 The article referenced the lives of college students being negatively affected by the "integration" of students.  It was written from a black perspective, arguing that the "Black culture" was being lost while trying to fit in in the "White culture" while attending college.

Now, don't get me wrong, I am not referring to a religious or faith-based "culture" or the culture of a foreign student.  This was in reference to American students at an American college.

According to dictionary.com, (yes, I really had to look it up) culture has five definitions, and the first four can easily be appled to "American culture" as a whole, not a seperate group; however the fifth reads "the behaviors and beliefs characteristic of a particular social, ethnic, or age group"

OK, "age group" is easy enough, "ethnic" could relate to a culture from a country or nationality or even religion. "Social" however can get complicated, but still could not be applied to a race, as a whole.  Southern folks have a culture.  New Yorkers and Bostonians and NewJersey-ans?  have a culture and a few sub-cultures, as do East-coasters.  But that's a regional thing, not a race thing.  

Perhaps I have somehow lived a sheltered life, surrounded by a "multi-cultural" community, and I have managed to miss how differently folks of different races live.  I have visited with friends and have never seen a drastic difference in their home lives and my own, other than, maybe, the food we eat.

Religion and family ties to another country is not the "culture" I am having trouble understanding. I'm focused on finding out how the word 'culture' is applied to skin color.

I am not looking for stereo-types to explain the difference between "Black culture" and "White culture".  But, in all honesty, I can only come up with stereo-types to explain how in the world black and white can have their own cultures, which is why I'm putting this out there... I'm hoping someone can actually be able to explain this to me 

I really want to know what makes up "Black culture" and "White culture" (and do you have examples?).  

... and what is it about each that keeps it from being just "American culture"?

by on Aug. 17, 2013 at 3:48 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
frndlyfn
by Emerald Member on Aug. 17, 2013 at 3:56 AM
4 moms liked this

I think it is people just trying to keep the separation alive.  I have had many black friends and we never tried to influence each other to lose our "culture' . Alot of it is stereotypes i think.  This is just my opinion.    I love learning from other lifestyles and cultures as long as it isnt drug oriented or violence oriented.

Jlee4249
by Bronze Member on Aug. 17, 2013 at 3:17 PM

Does the lack of responses mean the entire idea of "Black culture" and "White culture" really is simply an idea of seperation based on stereo-types?

Jlee4249
by Bronze Member on Aug. 17, 2013 at 3:17 PM

BUMP!

Lionpaw
by Member on Aug. 17, 2013 at 3:28 PM
1 mom liked this

I think its because people are afraid to post for fear of crazy people going off on whats said. :(

I kinda get what you are saying, but i have no real answer. I asked something a little similar in reguards to music. Someone wrote to the local news paper here on how they don't feel welcomed at community events because only 'white music' is played. 

I don't see race as anything other than humans. But it is getting a little crazy on some things i have seen lately.

The local fire departments hiring procedures have been on hold for about a year, because of a fear in reguards to a racial lawsuit.  So nice?

KellBell0820
by Silver Member on Aug. 17, 2013 at 4:10 PM
1 mom liked this
I live in the South and as soon as I read "black culture" and "white culture" I knew what you meant. The area I live in is majority African American and there are differences. Ironically, most of the differences are things supported by each race which only contribute to the continuing self segregation of races around here. It's hard to explain because I've just always been aware of it but never really understood it. The differences aren't in homes or types of food eaten, they are more subtle than that. And it's not necessarily limited to black and white, it can be more about the area you are from (at least here). Here there are areas that you know are primarily one race or the other and that's where there really seems to be a different "culture" even though we're all from the same city.
Jlee4249
by Bronze Member on Aug. 18, 2013 at 10:00 AM

where in the south do you live?

Quoting KellBell0820:

I live in the South and as soon as I read "black culture" and "white culture" I knew what you meant. The area I live in is majority African American and there are differences. Ironically, most of the differences are things supported by each race which only contribute to the continuing self segregation of races around here. It's hard to explain because I've just always been aware of it but never really understood it. The differences aren't in homes or types of food eaten, they are more subtle than that. And it's not necessarily limited to black and white, it can be more about the area you are from (at least here). Here there are areas that you know are primarily one race or the other and that's where there really seems to be a different "culture" even though we're all from the same city.
KellBell0820
by Silver Member on Aug. 18, 2013 at 11:26 PM
West Tennessee, Memphis to be more exact.

Quoting Jlee4249:

Quoting KellBell0820:

ditsyjo
by Gold Member on Aug. 18, 2013 at 11:44 PM

I really don't understand this either.

Jlee4249
by Bronze Member on Aug. 19, 2013 at 2:37 AM

Where?  I'm Bartlett.  :)  never met someone on here from my area.  too funny I find someone when posting about racism.  hahaha.

Quoting KellBell0820:

Quoting Jlee4249:

Quoting KellBell0820:

KellBell0820
by Silver Member on Aug. 19, 2013 at 7:03 AM
Haha, that's pretty interesting. I've never met anyone from my area either. I'm in Lakeland.

Quoting Jlee4249:

Where?  I'm Bartlett.  :)  never met someone on here from my area.  too funny I find someone when posting about racism.  hahaha.

Quoting KellBell0820:

Quoting Jlee4249:

Quoting KellBell0820:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)