Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Would you be annoyed? (long,sorry)Did I over step my boundaries?

Posted by on Aug. 17, 2013 at 3:57 AM
  • 8 Replies

On the way home,I started thinking.Wondering if maybe we should of asked Sandy permission first?Hopefully,she sees he is so happy it'll be worth it? I know some parents would have a problem with our spending a small chunk on their child,kwim? 

My oldest has 2 best friends.One girl,one boy. Both spend most (if not ALL their time)at my house.Here recently the guy friend has been having "issues".

We are going to "name" this boy "Hunter" for now.Hunter's mom is recently divorced...single mom of 3.And she is STRUGGLING.Doing all she can and still struggling bad....About a week ago it was Hunter's b-day.And until today,my family hasn't had a chance to give him a present(anything else).After the boys got out of school I told Joe(my 17 year old)to call Hunter and to ask his mom if he could come with us out to eat.

At the beginning,that is all that was going to happen.Take him out to eat...etc.On the way home -in car- we are all laughing because my "red-headed step child" (lol,his nickname at my house...) got embarrassed at the table by the waitress (he just turned 17).Everybody at buffet singing happy b-day?Almost killed him,heehee. During all this I hear my oldest say..."that sucks."And,when I turn towards him he sort of shakes his head at me.

Next thing I know my oldest is texting me from the backseat?!Now,I mentioned that Sandy is struggling,right? (Hunter's mom) Hunter and Joe have been mowing yards and stuff all summer....Joe just for extra spending money.Hunter?To help pay for his own school supplies.....Catch the drift?Joe texts me to tell me that Hunter's bicycle is now broken beyond repair and he can NOT afford to fix it.This is relevant because this is how he gets to the houses that he helps mow with Joe. (If my hubby is home he will take them in the car.When hubby is at work?They walk/bike ride.)Joe texts me and it says,"Mom.I think Hunter has been helping with the bills and he doesn't have all his school stuff.Now,his bike is broke.If I give you my "saved stuff" (Money from yardwork) can we get the school stuff?Kids are calling him names."

I had hubby stop at Walmart.And,told Joe to finish picking up his list.Even though Joe has his stuff,I just got extra for Hunter...hubby caught on quick and picked up the extra stuff too.As we are leaving we get to the toy section and Hunter glances at the bikes with SO much longing...I told him to pick one out.Not to go over $95.00.Ever seen a 17 year old boy run around like an excited 4 year old?I have!!big smile mini

P.s We had been meaning to get Hunter a present,but wanted him to pick,like I do with my own kids.I felt sort of bad for him....He didn't really have anything special happen to/for him on his b-day.Sandy didn't have much left after getting her daughters their school stuff (only important,really NEED type things).

by on Aug. 17, 2013 at 3:57 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
brandyblx
by Platinum Member on Aug. 17, 2013 at 4:01 AM

Before anyone asks...we love this kid.He is as much a part of our family as our own kids.He just looks so sad sometimes...

frndlyfn
by Emerald Member on Aug. 17, 2013 at 4:04 AM

I think mom will appreciate it and if anything tell her he could 'work it off"around your house or something.   I always tell people just to pay it forward when i help them out.

lovemylittle1
by Hollywood ♥ Dream on Aug. 17, 2013 at 4:09 AM
I would love to be able to do that for my daughters friends once she gets older.

I would also be extatic if someone did that for me and my daughter, id I hadnt been able to afford them or get her a gift!

brandyblx
by Platinum Member on Aug. 17, 2013 at 4:09 AM

Hey,momma. When we got back,I told her the bike was his b-day present.Joe hasn't given him the school stuff yet.Some moms get real mad if they think you "spent too much" on a present,kwim?

Quoting frndlyfn:

I think mom will appreciate it and if anything tell her he could 'work it off"around your house or something.   I always tell people just to pay it forward when i help them out.

frndlyfn
by Emerald Member on Aug. 17, 2013 at 4:23 AM

yes i know.  you could probably stash the school stuff or if school started take it right away to the school.  i figure they are of the age of near adulthood, they know how to handle this situation.

we spent less than 40 bucks on DD's school supplies but she is still in the "simple"grades where no high tech calculators needed.

Quoting brandyblx:

Hey,momma. When we got back,I told her the bike was his b-day present.Joe hasn't given him the school stuff yet.Some moms get real mad if they think you "spent too much" on a present,kwim?

Quoting frndlyfn:

LizzieAnnesMom
by on Aug. 17, 2013 at 9:24 AM
Honestly, i would be so grateful if i were her. I am sure she will be if your kids are that close. I am sure it will be a huge relief to her.
coolmommy2x
by Ruby Member on Aug. 17, 2013 at 9:44 AM
I would be incredibly grateful that someone cared enough to want to help. Sometimes pride is a luxury people can't afford.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mamas1stbaby
by on Aug. 17, 2013 at 9:49 AM
I would be very grateful If someone was so thoughtful and caring toward my children. Blessings to you and your family for being awesome people!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN