Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Abdominal binders...what do you think?

Posted by on Aug. 18, 2013 at 3:59 AM
  • 11 Replies

I was thinking of buying an abdominal binder after I have my baby and was just curious what others experiences were with them? Im looking into it not for weight loss or anything like that but because I want to make sure that my abdominal muscles go back to where they were before. Maybe I am just freaking out because I am a first time mom and everyone loves telling me horror stories including ones about how certain peoples abdominal muscles do not go back and how they have to have surgery to correct it. So if anyone wants to share their opinion or experience with me as far as abdominal binders go and how long they wore one for and a good brand let me know :)

by on Aug. 18, 2013 at 3:59 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Momofmenagerie
by on Aug. 18, 2013 at 4:11 AM
Sorry, I've not heard on those, NOR have I ever heard of abdominal muscle not knowing where they " live" . You may have a pooch like the rest of mama's that doesn't go away no matter how much you exercise, but quite frankly, if you just keep water, water , water I'm your head and drink copious amounts of it,
Much less chance of stretch marks,constipation ( your intestines will be around your mid spine eventually), hemmoriods, and perenial tearing.

A post baby figure is beautiful, and all the organ go back where the belong ( although contrary to air brushed, six hr a day workouts with a personal trainer because they have nannies celebs magazines, not in three months)

Worry about the changes, good and bad in your body while pregnant and worry about post pregnancy... Well, post pregnancy.
209mom4you
by Member on Aug. 18, 2013 at 4:17 AM
My hospital gave me one I'd say they work well. I've heard a lot of women's muscles get separated and don't go back without doing a certain exercise but I'd say don't chance that and wear the binder maybe on your tour of the hospital ask if they are provided and if they aren't you could know to buy one.

legobaby
by Member on Aug. 18, 2013 at 4:20 AM
I have diastasis recti, and my OB recommended one to keep things in place and increase the chance of the abs going back together. I doubt they ever will though e cause this is my third, and the muscles have never gone back since my first.
ssten09
by New Member on Aug. 18, 2013 at 4:57 AM

I am having my child within 5weeks...I am asking because if it is a good investment I want to make the purchase so I can wear it within the first week after birth...It is a real condition sometimes the abdominal muscles do not go back depending on the woman. This isnt a vanity issue, I am perfectly ok with my stretchmarks and having a little bit of a gut . hah I drink water like a fish....I guess id be looking for one that stays in place while working..I have an active job..and doesnt roll down etc..I will def ask my dr. and the nurses  if the hospital would provide me with one, I didnt know that hospitals gave them to you.

schultzal
by Bronze Member on Aug. 18, 2013 at 5:36 AM
This. A physiotherapist also taught me some exercises to do to help the abdominal muscles, before I left the hospital.

Quoting 209mom4you:

My hospital gave me one I'd say they work well. I've heard a lot of women's muscles get separated and don't go back without doing a certain exercise but I'd say don't chance that and wear the binder maybe on your tour of the hospital ask if they are provided and if they aren't you could know to buy one.

ScrChk23
by Amanda on Aug. 18, 2013 at 10:54 AM

I have never heard of an abdominal binder.  

littlebugs2113
by on Aug. 18, 2013 at 12:07 PM
i had to use one but i had c-sections with both my kids. it helped immensely. but the second time around, i bought a 'maternity belt' and used that for xtra support towards the end of the pregnancy. if you think you will use it, get it. better than needing it and not having it.
ssten09
by New Member on Aug. 18, 2013 at 1:33 PM

See next time im deff buying some type of belt for support because I didnt know about them untill recently and felt like i needed some type of support. Ill deff look into the abdominal binder. I'm glad to know that people have had a positive experience with it.

romanceparty4u
by Ruby Member on Aug. 19, 2013 at 1:06 AM

abdominal binders aren't proven to help "shrink your abdominal muscles" back into shape, I'd venture to guess they would actually prevent you from exercising them back into shape.

You can do without this expense and trouble. Crunches, sit ups, exercise, etc.

That binder will not "help". They are for post surgical discomfort for people that have a little extra weight on them. Even in that case, I see them as pretty much useless.

mfk3
by Member on Aug. 19, 2013 at 12:26 PM
The hospital gave me one for the c section I had. Worked well and helped me feel tight and be able to move efficiently than when I wasn't wearing it.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)