Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

never again will I use urgent care...update

Posted by on Aug. 18, 2013 at 2:02 PM
  • 34 Replies
Mds broke his elbow yesterday. Sil and I took him into urgent care and they didn't even have the right stuff to splint it. I had go out and get my own sling because they didn't have the right size. They just wrapped his arm close to his body. We called around to some othros to try and make an appt. For monday and we were told to children's er for a better exam because the type of break he had might need surgery and couldn't wait till monday.

Good news, we shouldnt have to have surgery and they put a more secure splint on. Unless it worsens or moves, he should be fine with cast. One doc chuckled with get-up they sent us home in.

Ds is doing good. He didn't cry at all. Didn't even tell me right away anything was wrong just that he thinks he hurt his arm. after a couple hours of motrin and ice, I could tell with the amount of swelling something was wrong.

I'm just a little ticked ill have two copays. Urgent care in our town was a joke:/

Update... so he is casted... and we arent out of the woods yet for surgery. We find out Saturday if he'll have to go in for surgery monday. Just in time for the first day of school:/

Good news is, 3/4 weeks he will be good as new. :)

by on Aug. 18, 2013 at 2:02 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Pnukey
by Jennifer on Aug. 18, 2013 at 2:28 PM

Glad he is OK. Our urgent care does not suck like that.

NDADanceMom
by on Aug. 18, 2013 at 2:28 PM
8 moms liked this

Actually that is on you.  Urgent care is not for broken bones.  Around here broken bones go to tria which is an orthopedist with extended hours.  Urgent care is for things like rashes, ear infections and such.  They are not an ER, and do not have the equipment on a hospital.  Getting mad at UC for not having the right stuff for a broken bone is like being mad they didnt have the right stuff to deliver a baby.  

Aslen
by Platinum Member on Aug. 18, 2013 at 2:29 PM
3 moms liked this

I guess my question is, why didn't you take him to the ER to begin with? Most urgent care centers aren't set up to deal with things like that.

Glad he's doing better though :)

Aslen
by Platinum Member on Aug. 18, 2013 at 2:31 PM

Totally agree! The place I worked is a large ortho practice that runs urgent care after hours for breaks and such. I saw soooooooo many people come in more jacked up from a UC than they would have if they'd have waited to see an ortho

Quoting NDADanceMom:

Actually that is on you.  Urgent care is not for broken bones.  Around here broken bones go to tria which is an orthopedist with extended hours.  Urgent care is for things like rashes, ear infections and such.  They are not an ER, and do not have the equipment on a hospital.  Getting mad at UC for not having the right stuff for a broken bone is like being mad they didnt have the right stuff to deliver a baby.  

quickbooksworm
by Silver Member on Aug. 18, 2013 at 2:34 PM

Urgent care often doesn't have the right stuff for breaks, but here they can get you in to the ER more quickly.  If you go straight to the ER, you will be waiting for about 12 hours. 

Bmat
by Platinum Member on Aug. 18, 2013 at 2:49 PM

They surely let you down. I think I'd complain to the management there on the poor quality of care. I hope your little guy heals up well and feels better soon.

Bmat
by Platinum Member on Aug. 18, 2013 at 2:49 PM

12 hours!!!! 

Quoting quickbooksworm:

Urgent care often doesn't have the right stuff for breaks, but here they can get you in to the ER more quickly.  If you go straight to the ER, you will be waiting for about 12 hours. 

Lennyloves
by Member on Aug. 18, 2013 at 2:54 PM
Because we were at family party and everyone was say he was fine. If it was broke he would be crying. I didn't have my own car and dh was at work. So sil drove me to urgent care. They have xray machines and do provide temp care at least that's what they told me... that's not exactly what I got. I had to wait till dh fot off work and we went to children's.

Quoting Aslen:

I guess my question is, why didn't you take him to the ER to begin with? Most urgent care centers aren't set up to deal with things like that.

Glad he's doing better though :)

Bmat
by Platinum Member on Aug. 18, 2013 at 2:55 PM

Our urgent care is pretty good. I think if there was something they couldn't handle they would send the person to ER.  Years ago I was miffed at urgent care because I'd burned my hand badly by spilling boiling water on it (from overheating it in the microwave.) I put ice on it and had my husband drive me to urgent care, and by the time I got there the ice was gone and I was in terrible pain again. I signed in and told the receptionist very politely that I needed ice for my hand from a burn, she was shuffling papers around and said "hold your horses" !!!! Then she moved a few more sheets of paper around and walked into the back and came with a nurse who took me back and put ice on my hand. But I mean "hold your horses" ???   Anyway, that place is no longer open and there are others around now.

Lennyloves
by Member on Aug. 18, 2013 at 3:08 PM
Yeah that's not good for business.

Quoting Bmat:

Our urgent care is pretty good. I think if there was something they couldn't handle they would send the person to ER.  Years ago I was miffed at urgent care because I'd burned my hand badly by spilling boiling water on it (from overheating it in the microwave.) I put ice on it and had my husband drive me to urgent care, and by the time I got there the ice was gone and I was in terrible pain again. I signed in and told the receptionist very politely that I needed ice for my hand from a burn, she was shuffling papers around and said "hold your horses" !!!! Then she moved a few more sheets of paper around and walked into the back and came with a nurse who took me back and put ice on my hand. But I mean "hold your horses" ???   Anyway, that place is no longer open and there are others around now.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)