Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Disgusting Hate Sent to a family with an Autistic boy. Edit in blue

Posted by   + Show Post

So I read this very hateful letter yesterday regarding an autistic boy. I found out about it via a FB I follow and I have to say reading it makes my blood boil. It also makes my heart hurt very bad for this family. The reason being is because I have a nephew who is severe autistic and I have a child who is also autistic (low end of the spectrum).

One of the lines in the letter states that they should "euthanize him" (yep you read that right!)  I mean seriously? Who the hell says that kind of stuff about a CHILD!? This person obviously needs some serious help and she didn't do her family or her kids any favors by doing this either.

Anyways, this morning I wake up and find out that there is a news report on it and  I'm happy to see that the family has the support of the rest of the neighbors.

Right now this family needs lots of support and I am confident that they will get that support. However this just makes me so mad and so very sad at the same time. No one deserve this, especially this family.

Video

The Letter (yes you can read it all here, but I'm warning you...its really nasty and bad)

EDIT: The link to see the letter is posted on a blog, written by a woman that I follow on Facebook. The letter was NOT directed at her or her family. She saw the letter on her news feed via the person who it was directed to. That family is interviewed in the video. The blog owner wrote on it as she too is a mother of child with disabilties and felt the need to share her thoughts on it after seeing it posted on facebook and coming through on her newsfeed. It was the only way I could share the letter was by linking to her blog.

Edit: I've reposted the link to the letter...the child pictured in the blog was NOT the child the letter was targeting...now that I found a way to load the image without going to the actual blog hopefully this will clear things up? The child that was actually targeted was an autistic 13 year old.

by on Aug. 19, 2013 at 11:25 AM
Replies (11-20):
terpmama
by Gold Member on Aug. 19, 2013 at 6:42 PM

unless he's screaming during "quiet hours" (generally observed as 9/10pm - 6am) then no they have no say what he does in his own home and yard as far as noise.

Quoting NDADanceMom:

OK then take out everything about appearance.  Do people have the right to ask that the screaming be limited in some fashion in the yard?

Quoting Anoronlight:

Again...the child that was targeted is autistic, the child on the blog is not the child that was targeted.

Quoting NDADanceMom:

Wow.  The letter is terrible but what if the person came over with some cookies and talked to the family?  Do other families have rights when it comes to the noise level in their yard?  I think the author is crazy but lets say the noises are really bad and the kids are really scared from them?  Do people have the right to say, "I know your child cant help it but there are times we would like to enjoy our yard without your child screaming."

I think its reasonable to want that.  I think there should be a nice way to ask for it.  The child is quite disfigured.  I can see where another child would see him and hear screaming and not even realize he is human.  It would be scary for most children, even older ones the first few times you saw that child.  Maybe find a way to meet in the middle.  Teach the typical kids to have empathy and understand the humanity in even a severely disabled child, also learn that just because your child is special does not mean you have the right to make it uncomfortable for anyone to use the yard.  Special needs or not, screaming isnt fun to listen to.

SimplyBIllie
by New Member on Aug. 19, 2013 at 6:48 PM

Simply Horrendous.

U-R-Beautiful
by Member on Aug. 19, 2013 at 7:04 PM
So sad. :(
NDADanceMom
by on Aug. 19, 2013 at 7:04 PM

We parent differently in our home.  We are considerate of neighbors 24/7.  We dont play loud music, we dont scream.  we keep our yard tidy.  We understand that people have rights.  Now in this case the kid has issues that he likely screams and doesnt even realize what he is doing.  There are special circumstances and hopefully both neighbors can be mature enough to talk and hear each others needs.  Both households have the right to enjoy their yards.  

Lets say this autistic child was sound sensitive but also liked the outdoors.  Do the neighbors have the right to make excessive noise in the yard that upsets the autistic child?  Yes legally if it isnt quiet hours. morally?  Both sides should work together so they can both enjoy the outdoors at home.  

Quoting terpmama:

unless he's screaming during "quiet hours" (generally observed as 9/10pm - 6am) then no they have no say what he does in his own home and yard as far as noise.

Quoting NDADanceMom:

OK then take out everything about appearance.  Do people have the right to ask that the screaming be limited in some fashion in the yard?

Quoting Anoronlight:

Again...the child that was targeted is autistic, the child on the blog is not the child that was targeted.

Quoting NDADanceMom:

Wow.  The letter is terrible but what if the person came over with some cookies and talked to the family?  Do other families have rights when it comes to the noise level in their yard?  I think the author is crazy but lets say the noises are really bad and the kids are really scared from them?  Do people have the right to say, "I know your child cant help it but there are times we would like to enjoy our yard without your child screaming."

I think its reasonable to want that.  I think there should be a nice way to ask for it.  The child is quite disfigured.  I can see where another child would see him and hear screaming and not even realize he is human.  It would be scary for most children, even older ones the first few times you saw that child.  Maybe find a way to meet in the middle.  Teach the typical kids to have empathy and understand the humanity in even a severely disabled child, also learn that just because your child is special does not mean you have the right to make it uncomfortable for anyone to use the yard.  Special needs or not, screaming isnt fun to listen to.

bkwrmem
by Emily on Aug. 19, 2013 at 7:18 PM

i can not even think of the kind of person it takes to write such hateful words. a suburban area isn't a place to hear a child laughing and screaming making noise? was where i lived. i hope they find her and she gets some sort of punishment cause words can hurt. i have an 8 year old autistic child and if i got a letter like this it would hurt me so much, i can only imagine the family's pain on this.

ryanmomof4
by on Aug. 19, 2013 at 7:45 PM

The author of that letter is sick in the head. She needs to be locked away where she cannot teach such ville hate to her kids.

fvmomof5
by on Aug. 19, 2013 at 7:55 PM
Ive seen this letter several times... I really hope whoever wrote it gets into some serious trouble. Though I dont believe she has the guts to come forward...
natural_s
by Bronze Member on Aug. 19, 2013 at 8:33 PM

Oh okay, thank you for correcting me. I did not click on the video but basically read the first part and the whole letter.

Quoting Anoronlight:

The blog its posted on is not the family the letter was targeted at. The family in the video is. lacey was sharing her thoughts on the letter because apparently the mother of the boy who recieved is on her Facebook feed and she wanted to share her thoughts on the letter. I actually follow Lacey on her facebook that's how I found out about it.

Either way it doesn't take away from the fact that this person, whomever she is, wrote such a nasty letter.

Quoting natural_s:

I'm speechless at that letter and that someone could possible or would possible take the time out to write something so disgusting, and hurtful towards a parent about their child. I also can't believe that this actually came from another woman.

Just when you thought you seen it all, something comes along and takes your breath away and not in a good way.

I am pray for that family and baby Christian, I can not imagine what that family is going through, knowing someone in that neighborhood actually wrote something like that about their child. I am glad they are getting the support they need.

I definately had my cry for today.

Hazelnutkin
by on Aug. 19, 2013 at 8:56 PM
2 moms liked this

I have a child with Autism. "Normal" children do not have any greater right to happiness and fresh air than  Special Needs children just because they have the GOOD FORTUNE to have been born with good health and typically-functioning brains. I have to balance the needs of my whole family- I have two other kids- and it isn't always easy, but it is the right thing to do. If other children are scared, teach them to understand. That goes a long way.  I am, frankly, shocked that something like this would still be said.

benny1031
by on Aug. 19, 2013 at 9:24 PM
I just am totally speechless!!!!! Who does this lady think she is and bow can anyone say things like this. I am mortified! !! I hope that I never meet her or anyone like this because if I do I will forget that I am alady and an adult and teach her a thing or two. I am so sorry for that mom I have an autistic child I will stand behind this family they have my support.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN