Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Am I too hard on them? Or not?

Posted by on Aug. 20, 2013 at 2:09 PM
  • 11 Replies
My 9yr old DD called me at work to see if she needed to anymore chores before she left for the weekend with gma. A co-worker overheard this conversation and was absolutely floored that she has chores she has to do. o_O Do you think I'm being hard on them? My 6yr old DD puts dishes away (after I put the knifes away), picks up her room, makes her bed, puts her laundry away after its folded & sweeps the kitchen. My 9yr old does the same except she helps load the dishwasher and bathroom detail ( cleans the counter & sweeps the bathroom) and my 4yr old helps with little random stuff ( picking up toy room, dirty clothes, ect ) but also puts her own clothes away. They each get an "allowance" on my payday & each chore they do above & beyond the get a little extra cash or privileges (extra tv time or Wii time)
What do you think? Do your children do chores?
by on Aug. 20, 2013 at 2:09 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
catrig
by Silver Member on Aug. 20, 2013 at 2:10 PM
1 mom liked this
My kids have chores.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
petie1104
by on Aug. 20, 2013 at 2:16 PM
1 mom liked this
Yes. The only thing the 7 yr old doesn't do that the others do is washing dishes and dinner on his own night. He's too darned short, poor thing.

So the kids each have a dinner night that they are primarily responsible for. (I help with ideas and actual methods) They alternate dishes, floors, bathroom, and rec room. They all have to clean their own room and do their own laundry.

Chores are good for them. They have to learn how to do these things on their own, so they have chores.
meka26
by Silver Member on Aug. 20, 2013 at 2:17 PM
1 mom liked this

DD is 10 and she has chores. She mops, wash dishes, vacuum, and cleans her room. My (almost) 2 yr old picks up her toys, puts things in the garbage (which is sometimes a bad thing lol), and brings me things if I ask her to. I don't see anything wrong with kids having chores.

terpmama
by Gold Member on Aug. 20, 2013 at 2:19 PM
1 mom liked this

Similar in my home (younger kids)... 

Paigesmommy78
by Gold Member on Aug. 20, 2013 at 2:20 PM
1 mom liked this
Sounds just right to me
NanaTaaz
by on Aug. 20, 2013 at 2:21 PM
1 mom liked this

Could you come and get us on track.??? 

You are doing a GREAT job of teaching them resposibility .And just the fact she called you to be sure she was done says ALOT about how they are learning.

More parents should be like you...

Nana Taaz puppy

MariaD4
by Member on Aug. 20, 2013 at 2:22 PM
1 mom liked this
Thank you for the feed back :) my girls are spoiled they have a Wii & Nitendo DS's an the oldest has an IPod. I bought the toys but they buy their own games and have savings accounts, so I feel they respect what they have earned! :) And I should add we live in the country and they do spend A Lot of time outside.
dingysfamily
by on Aug. 20, 2013 at 2:52 PM
2 moms liked this

My kids always had chores, even though I've been a SAHM almost all of my married life.  It teaches them responsibility and how to take care of their own things.  Also, how else will they know how to do things when they are adults and on their own???  This is also how our kids earned the majority of their allowance; we did give them some 'free' money, but most was earned by doing their chores.

MomTo3NMW
by on Aug. 20, 2013 at 2:53 PM
1 mom liked this

I don't think so. My 3 and 4 year old have chores they do too. 

They keep their room and bathroom cleaned up, keep their bookshelf in the hallway neat, and feed the cats when their bowl is running low.

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

fliptopz4
by Bronze Member on Aug. 20, 2013 at 2:59 PM

I dont think theres anything wrong with it. But I have never paid my kids an allowance, I don't see why they need paid for stuff that benefits the family household no one pays me for sweeping the floor  so they dont' get paid for it. I do give them money as needed and for their birthdays etc.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN