Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I need some ideas ladies

Posted by on Aug. 21, 2013 at 1:15 AM
  • 11 Replies
Hi, I'm planning a celebration of life/balloon release for my brother who was killed in April (motorcycle crash). I know that I want to give everyone a chance to tell stories or share memories before doing the balloon release, but that is as far as I've gotten in my planning. I have time to plan, it isn't until October 27th, but I just want to get some ideas. Thanks in advance.
by on Aug. 21, 2013 at 1:15 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
xtwistedxlovex
by on Aug. 21, 2013 at 1:20 AM
1 mom liked this
Maybe use seed paper to write farewells to him on and attach to the string so when the balloons come down they (might) grow flowers?
MixedCooke
by on Aug. 21, 2013 at 1:22 AM

could you possibly plant a tree instead so you have a living example of his life rather than the balloon release?  The balloons do eventually land, end up in the oceans, etc., a turtle mistakens it for a jellyfish that they eat and end up choking and dying. 

ChelleyPooh583
by on Aug. 21, 2013 at 1:29 AM
That's a nice thought too, the tree planting.
xtwistedxlovex
by on Aug. 21, 2013 at 1:41 AM

Quoting MixedCooke:

could you possibly plant a tree instead so you have a living example of his life rather than the balloon release?  The balloons do eventually land, end up in the oceans, etc., a turtle mistakens it for a jellyfish that they eat and end up choking and dying. 

I just looked up "biodegradable" balloons and saw that they still take 6 months to break down. Plenty of time to hurt an animal. There don't seem to be any quick-breakdown alternatives. I don't understand why they can claim these as totally safe. It seems dishonest.

MixedCooke
by on Aug. 21, 2013 at 1:44 AM

thats why I suggested planting a tree, so life reflects life and gives life in that it can release oxygen, absorb greenhouse gases, provide food (if fruit bearing, etc), provide shelter, shade, etc.  A nice strong oak or cypress that can live for a long time, etc. 

Quoting xtwistedxlovex:

Quoting MixedCooke:

I just looked up "biodegradable" balloons and saw that they still take 6 months to break down. Plenty of time to hurt an animal. There don't seem to be any quick-breakdown alternatives. I don't understand why they can claim these as totally safe. It seems dishonest.

xtwistedxlovex
by on Aug. 21, 2013 at 2:50 AM
I thnk it's a great idea, especially after finding out biodegradable balloons are a lie. We planted a small ash tree over our family dog when I was a kid and I found it comforting that even if I couldn't see him any more, I could at least visit his tree and watch it grow.

Quoting MixedCooke:

thats why I suggested planting a tree, so life reflects life and gives life in that it can release oxygen, absorb greenhouse gases, provide food (if fruit bearing, etc), provide shelter, shade, etc.  A nice strong oak or cypress that can live for a long time, etc. 

Quoting xtwistedxlovex:

Quoting MixedCooke:

GirlWithANikon
by Silver Member on Aug. 21, 2013 at 3:09 AM

music? photos?

Bleacher-mom
by on Aug. 21, 2013 at 3:25 AM

I'm sorry about your brother. When my brother died at 19 in April 2006, at the funeral there were pictures taken off all of his friends where they had parked their trucks around my brothers. My mom had some of those pictures put in a big mat and framed. She left the glass off so that when we had a bond fire for him the following year all of his friends were able to sign the mat. We also had a video camera and went around giving everyone a chance to tell a story.

A facebook page may be an idea. Maybe even have people upload a video and then put them on a disk and play it at the baloon release or even make several copies to hand out.  Again, I'm sorry. I think a baloon release is a great idea.

Dzyre1115
by Desiree` on Aug. 21, 2013 at 3:40 AM

I would go with something more permanent, a tree, a rain garden, a brick walkway with messages, etc...

beadingmom17
by Rachel on Aug. 21, 2013 at 3:44 AM
Maybe they break down in an animal's system as opposed to a laytex one? At least someone took a step in the right direction and made an effort :)

Quoting xtwistedxlovex:

Quoting MixedCooke:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)