Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Multiple kids...

Posted by on Aug. 21, 2013 at 1:18 PM
  • 33 Replies
Just curious...

For those of you who have more than one or two kids,are you planning to pay for your kids to go to college,save up for cars weddings etc?Do you just expect your kids to pay for it all themselfs?

My husband and I had to do everything ourselfes,and we want our kids to work for things and have reaponsibility.But we also want to give our kids everything we didn't ,including being able to go to a good college.Etc etc.

I know so many people having kid after kid and not actually thinking about those things.

by on Aug. 21, 2013 at 1:18 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MommyJill87
by Bronze Member on Aug. 21, 2013 at 1:19 PM
We plan on helping a little with things as long as the kids work hard. We will have 4 girls so we will do what we can.
jojo_star
by on Aug. 21, 2013 at 1:22 PM
1 mom liked this
We have four and I'm pregnant. We already have college saving accounts for our kids and will fully help and support them as long as they are in school and working hard.
Hrmommyhswif09
by on Aug. 21, 2013 at 1:25 PM
Thats great!May I ask if you have like any tips on saving for them?
jojo_star
by on Aug. 21, 2013 at 1:28 PM
1 mom liked this
If you are talking to me, sure. We pay our bills and put a set amount in our savings and theirs each month, then live off the rest of our paychecks. At the end of the month, anything left over goes into savings again, so we basically live paycheck to paycheck in checking. We both work and have high paying jobs, so it works for us.

Quoting Hrmommyhswif09:

Thats great!May I ask if you have like any tips on saving for them?
crazedmama06
by on Aug. 21, 2013 at 1:32 PM
1 mom liked this

We have 3 boys. And already have 12k in an account for the oldest, 10 for the middle and 4 for the youngest. They get 2 grand each year. Our retirement is already being added to as well. We had to do everything ourselves and it made it so we didn't go to college or have a good start to life. I don't want that for my kids.

Hrmommyhswif09
by on Aug. 21, 2013 at 1:36 PM
That is so awesome!Thanks JoJo.Love hearing people are thinking of their kids.I know too many people who don't.
Kellileanne
by Platinum Member on Aug. 21, 2013 at 1:36 PM

I will help them out here and there but they will be responsible for the bulk of it. 

I will be pushing for them to understand the importance of school work in addition to volunteering to qualify for scholarships.  I don't want them to have to take longer to get a degree because they have to work so much to pay tuition (what I went through but I didn't have a choice--my mom helped as much as she could, I lived with her, used her car, she covered my food and even car insuance).  I will help them any way I can but they will learn how to work for what they want.

I worked my butt off to get through college and because I did it and paid for it myself and noone can ever throw it in my face that they paid my way (my biofather would if I would have asked him for help). 

cakbr
by on Aug. 21, 2013 at 1:36 PM
I have two kids... DD is 5, and DS is 1.

We will be paying for it all for them.... Obviously we are going to teach them the importance of working hard and knowing an education is a must.

We want our kids to have a good start in life... something neither of us had.
NDADanceMom
by on Aug. 21, 2013 at 1:45 PM

4 kids and we pay for what they need.  One in college now and we pay for everything but her social life.  She needs a job to pay for that.

waytomanykids10
by on Aug. 21, 2013 at 1:53 PM

If my children want to attend college, they will need to work to pay for it, just like I did and their father did. My husband and I both come from well to do parents and we were still expected to pay for our own schooling. My stepson (25) and my stepdaughter (24) both work to pay for school.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)