Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club
Just curious...

For those of you who have more than one or two kids,are you planning to pay for your kids to go to college,save up for cars weddings etc?Do you just expect your kids to pay for it all themselfs?

My husband and I had to do everything ourselfes,and we want our kids to work for things and have reaponsibility.But we also want to give our kids everything we didn't ,including being able to go to a good college.Etc etc.

I know so many people having kid after kid and not actually thinking about those things.

by on Aug. 21, 2013 at 1:18 PM
Replies (11-20):
Cmgmqmmom
by Bronze Member on Aug. 21, 2013 at 1:56 PM

We have three children. We intend to help them pay for college. We both paid for school ourselves without help from our parents. We won't pay for all of it, but we will probably pay for the majority. They all have college accounts and they all model so they get paid for that, which goes directly into their accounts. So they are saving for their schooling as well!

They can use some of that money to buy their first cars, or it's possible they will get hand me down cars if the timing is right.

As far as weddings go, we'll have to see when the time comes. I think my husband and I would probably contribute to that.

allmy3girls
by on Aug. 21, 2013 at 1:59 PM

right now I have 3 children I plan on 2 more...I am a SAHM and my husband is the provider financially, we kids already have 'trust funds' growing for their education and future, in time they will be expected to get parttime jobs while in school and save..their education will be paid for my us as parents..in marraige it will be optional for them to decide if they need our help financially, cars...their 1st after graduation from college will be provided prior they must do it on their own right now any cash gifts they get are directly in their bank accounts 

MammaPK
by on Aug. 21, 2013 at 2:01 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting jojo_star:

If you are talking to me, sure. We pay our bills and put a set amount in our savings and theirs each month, then live off the rest of our paychecks. At the end of the month, anything left over goes into savings again, so we basically live paycheck to paycheck in checking. We both work and have high paying jobs, so it works for us.

Quoting Hrmommyhswif09:

Thats great!May I ask if you have like any tips on saving for them?

Way to go, JoJo!  That is def. the best scenario.  I have 5 kiddos, am 44 and have gone through a very expensive divorce - ridiculously expensive - bio-dad wasted a lot of money (mine and his) and a lot of years taking me to court...for nothing!  Well, the lawyrers did pretty well.

I am re-married and 2 of the kids I am raising are my fulltime steps from this marriage.  Love 'em all!!! 

However, I recommend the above scenario - mine all have savings accounts, but nothing that will pay for college!  I am a teacher and work very hard with them on their academics, so, hopefully, that will pay off, too.

My opinion (hypocritical as it may be): If I could, I would pay for all of it!  Plan, plan, plan. Don't wait, because you never know what life may throw at ya!

Good question and good Luck Hmommyhs... !

Hrmommyhswif09
by on Aug. 21, 2013 at 2:17 PM
1 mom liked this
I am currently a SAHM.But I plan on opening a day care in my home and getting teaching degree.We both are putting money away in savings for kids and,although I am not working at the moment putting money away for " retirement" for when we are older.All great answers ladies!!!Thank you for sharing with me :)
crwspringer
by Platinum Member on Aug. 21, 2013 at 2:21 PM
1 mom liked this
I have a college account for my daughter, but to be honest I'm way more concerned with saving for my future/retirement.
Kids can get loans and scholarships for schooling. I don't want to be a financial burden on my child in my senior years.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
xoxRachelxox
by on Aug. 21, 2013 at 7:39 PM

We have three kids. My in laws set up bonds for our kids to use toward college, if they choose to go.

As for cars and weddings... We'll do what we can when that time comes but we're not going to pay for everything.

bzzybeemomof3
by on Aug. 21, 2013 at 8:07 PM

I am raising my kids the same way I was raised. You only get things in life when you work hard for them yourself. Its called responsability.

They will pay for their own college and they will buy their own cars and drivers licenses and they will be paying for their own weddings and anything else.

They save their allowence money right now towards college and that. So its a start, but once they are 13/14 they can start a job like I did and save up themselves I have 3 girls. .

lulumomof2
by Bronze Member on Aug. 21, 2013 at 9:07 PM

My oldest is 15 years old and we are matching his savings for a car (and will do the same for our almost 13 yr old). As for college we will help with some but as its their education then they need to be responsible for it. A family we know have a girl who is in her 3rd year of college, but she has had to re-take many classes and IMO has not taken it seriously, hell my 15 year old (who is taking AP classes) takes his classes more seriously than she is taking hers. I think part of that is because all her life her mom and dad have always handed her everything she wants. They bought her a car when she was 16 and she wrecked it (the accident was her fault) then they bought her another one and she (mechanically) messed that one up as she never took it in for maintenance (that her parents would have paid for) because she was "too busy". I'm not saying all kids who get everything handed to them turn out like this. I just want my kids to know the value of a dollar and the value of hard work!

Dobermans are like Potato chips, nobody can have just one!

SimplyEnchanted
by Bronze Member on Aug. 21, 2013 at 9:17 PM

I have 5 kids and one on the way. They all have a college fund going. Although in our area college isn't "all that" so if they choose not to go then the money can be used responsiblyy for other means.

Mama to five beautiful girls- Piper(12), Paris(10), Prue(8), Priya(5)&Kahlan(2) and two angel babies that were too precious for earth, Angel('09) and Evenstar('12)

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Maternity tickers

A Simply Enchanted Life

jojo_star
by on Aug. 21, 2013 at 9:19 PM
I agree. I was raised that if you can't help your children get a good start in life, you don't have them. My parents paid for my college education, for all of my brother's and sister's educations. It's why we are all now happy, successful adults with little to no debt.

Quoting Hrmommyhswif09:

That is so awesome!Thanks JoJo.Love hearing people are thinking of their kids.I know too many people who don't.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)