Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

3rd day at school and already having to call the school.. (Sorta long, sorry but the info was needed)

Posted by on Aug. 21, 2013 at 7:12 PM
  • 34 Replies
2 moms liked this

Today is only the 3rd day of school for my 6th grader and I had to call the school to try and get a situation resolved. 

First off Im not one of those parents that thinks their baby is and angel and never does anything wrong, and believe me if DD does something wrong she hears about it and is approriately punished.. However if someone does her wrong Im not afraid to say something either.

Well yesterday my DD (12) comes home and tells me she forgot her homework in her locker.. Its her first time to have a locker and she had difficulty the first couple of days getting into it.. She was having trouble and wound up having to give up and run for the bus so she didnt miss it.  First thing I ask when they come in is do they have homework.  She was honest with me and told me she forgot her Math homework.. I told her she had better it get done tomorrow before class, do it during recess and turn it in.  She lost her tv, nintendo ds priveleges and was only allowed to read a book , and had extra chores.  She was wrong to not bring her homework home and I let her know it.

When she came home today she was upset and crying because she thought she was going to be in trouble.  She told me that during recess she was sitting on the playground and her Math teacher came up and saw she was doing her homework and made her quit.. told her it wasnt done at home and so she couldnt do it no.. Now this was recess, her free time.. She was trying to correct her mistake of forgetting her work and still get it done.. It wasnt doing it during another class.. It was recess..  This teacher also sent a note home saying that she only would be held in for work if she missed school.. And that she doesnt grade for correctness just having done it.  She let DD do the work in class period but wouldnt let her have a grade on it , she got a F (0) because it wasnt done..    

So I was upset and called the school.. Now true DD should have done it as homework, but what kid hasnt forgotten homework before, and her reason was difficulty in getting in her locker (which teachers have admited quite a few 6th graders are having troubles) lol.  She was still trying to be responsible and get it done with her free time.. Not during any class.. Recess on her own. And I think it was wrong for the teacher to tell her she wasnt allowed to complete it during recess and that she had to take a F(0) on it..

Do you guys think I have a valid reason to be upset and to stand up for my DD?  She is more than aware what she did was wrong, and has been punished for it, and knows it better not happen again lol.  But I think the teacher was wrong as well.

** have to wait for the Principale to talk to that teacher tommorrow morning to get a resolution**

**edit** Everyone is entitled to her opinon but I disagree that taking away electronic priveleges is hypocrisy.  She did need to be taught a lesson. to be responsible for her work.. That is my job as a parent.  I am certainly not going to let her go play or w/e during time she is supposed to be doing homework and reward her with a free evening when she didnt get her responsibilites handled.  No different to me than if she stayed home from school saying she felt sick, and then wanted to go outside and play..  If you are too sick to go to school, it is not go rip and romp outside time. 

by on Aug. 21, 2013 at 7:12 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
frndlyfn
by Emerald Member on Aug. 21, 2013 at 7:17 PM

No I think dd needs to learn this hard lesson before high school.  When she is having trouble with her locker she needs to keep all homework with her so it makes it home with her.  As long as she keeps up with rest of the year, that one zero should not affect her grade overall.  I am presuming 6th grade is middle school now.

coolmommy2x
by Ruby Member on Aug. 21, 2013 at 7:20 PM
When DS was in 6th grade (last year of elementary school here) we were told at Back To School night that the coddling stopped in 5th grade. If they forget homework, too bad. If they left their lunch at home, they would have to buy that day. They were teaching them to be responsible and getting them ready for 7th grade.

JMO, and based on my experience, I wouldn't call the school. This is DD's lesson to learn and the teacher is entitled to run his/her class as he/she wishes (within reason of course). If she was caught doing homework at school, she broke class rules and suffered the consequence. I would let it go and hope it doesn't become a habit.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Clubpenguin
by Bronze Member on Aug. 21, 2013 at 7:21 PM
At my kids school they are not allowed back in the classroom if they forget a book. On d they leave thats it. Also they're are not allowed to so homework in school at all. It has to be done at home.
xoxRachelxox
by on Aug. 21, 2013 at 7:28 PM
1 mom liked this

It's not like she just forgot her homework on purpose. She couldn't get into her locker. It's new for her and like you said, other kids were having issues as well. If she had stayed any longer, she would have missed the bus.

I don't understand what the big deal was in her doing it during recess. It was her time to play and she chose to work on her homework. They honestly could have cut her a little slack being the first week.

momtoBrenna
by Silver Member on Aug. 21, 2013 at 7:42 PM

I think that you should talk to them. Her free time should be just that free time. Clearly, she needs to not make a habit out of it but she shouldn't have been forced to take a 0 either. I always did my homework at school. The Middle and High schools around here have study halls built into the school day specifically for doing homework. 

emmy526
by Emmy on Aug. 21, 2013 at 7:46 PM

you should call and explain what happened, and ask the principal if were HIS kid, what would he think or do?   I think it's absurd a teacher can tell a kid how to spend her free time at recess-esp when that kid is taking responsibility with homework, and trying to right a wrong.   Does this teacher also tell the kids to whom to talk to as well during recess?  

periwinkle163
by on Aug. 21, 2013 at 7:50 PM

I would talk to the teacher first and find out the actual rules, and what actually happened. If no work during recess is a rule, than it is a rule.

invisibleme
by Member on Aug. 21, 2013 at 7:52 PM

Sorry No tolerance is not whats best for children.

sarebear31976
by on Aug. 21, 2013 at 7:58 PM

I would call or email the teacher.  Taking this straight to the principal is a bad idea.  

TheMommaJessie
by Member on Aug. 21, 2013 at 7:59 PM

we never had recess in 6th grade if you forgot it it was your fault. do i think that the teacher was being a bitch by making her stop yes. do i think she should have gotten the locker issue fixed on the first day so as not to have problems like this yes. it was her free time so she should have been able to tell the teacher it was because she could not get in to her locker that she didn't have it done and that was why she was doing it at recess.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN