Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

ok ladies ...this is where the 'ask a stupid question, get a stupid answer' term comes into play..i need your help!

Posted by   + Show Post

i love my aunt ...she is 7 yrs older than me (im 33).

However , she has this really rude habit ...if i am texting someone she will ask WHO i am texting, EVERY TIME..my uncle does the same thing , i find it extremely rude and would never think to ask her this question.

But she is one of those aunts that has the mindset of ' i can ask you anything about your life and you need to tell me, and i can tell you what to do with your life..but don't you dare say anything about mine, because you have no right'

i have tried being polite and said ' oh its nothing important' ...or ' its just a friend' , but she INSISTS on knowing exactly WHO i am talking about .

No ladies i do NOT live with her, but i do live in the same town as her and i just moved here..and her and her family are the only family i have.

AND just to make it clear, no i do NOT answer texts during a conversation that i we are having, i ALWAYS wait until the convo is done ..and half the time i am just sitting on her couch watching a movie while she is reading her book.

Here is the thing , i know that if i come back with a stupid and crazy answer for her ..she WILL get the hint on her own and stop asking me...so here is where i need your help lol.

I was thinking of something along the lines of 'oh its just my pimp, he wants to know if i can be on the corner of such and such tonight ..his girl for that corner totally got knocked up and is having a baby' ...

Anyone have any ideas ?

by on Aug. 22, 2013 at 12:13 PM
Replies (21-30):
Dragon.Momma86
by on Aug. 24, 2013 at 12:59 PM
No but maybe she doesn't realize that. And she is just that type of person

Quoting Two_Hearts:

see thats the problem , she has always been the aunt i went to for things..she knows a lot about what has been going on in my life, who i text is the ONE thing i have that is MINE to know ..and she keeps wanting to know that too! lol.

Personally , i shouldn't HAVE to tell her who i am texting ..she is not 'out of the loop' on anything , but who i am talking to is my business..but telling her that, isn't getting through her head..

Quoting MammaPK:

Lol!!!  I am thinking what you are thinking! Good times...lol.

Food for thought:

Sometimes, it might not hurt to mention who is texting/who your texting before she asks.  Let her in on some of what's going on in your life - give ya'll more to talk about & such.  Then, maybe, she won't feel so left out of the loop or make a habit out of asking you all the time... you know what I mean.

I'm diggin' your sense of humor. Reminds me of my own.

Dragon.Momma86
by on Aug. 24, 2013 at 1:03 PM
No but maybe she doesn't realize that. And she is just that type of person that is curious

Quoting Two_Hearts:

see thats the problem , she has always been the aunt i went to for things..she knows a lot about what has been going on in my life, who i text is the ONE thing i have that is MINE to know ..and she keeps wanting to know that too! lol.

Personally , i shouldn't HAVE to tell her who i am texting ..she is not 'out of the loop' on anything , but who i am talking to is my business..but telling her that, isn't getting through her head..

Quoting MammaPK:

Lol!!!  I am thinking what you are thinking! Good times...lol.

Food for thought:

Sometimes, it might not hurt to mention who is texting/who your texting before she asks.  Let her in on some of what's going on in your life - give ya'll more to talk about & such.  Then, maybe, she won't feel so left out of the loop or make a habit out of asking you all the time... you know what I mean.

I'm diggin' your sense of humor. Reminds me of my own.

KuraiBijin
by on Aug. 24, 2013 at 7:47 PM

My mom is like that. She has been every since I got my own cell phone; it was understandable when I was a teenager, I guess, but now I am 24, living on my own, and raising my own child. I HATE it! I eventually just told her how I felt. Things were awkward for a little while between us, but then they got better, and she isn't as nosey anymore...

Kriskash25
by on Aug. 24, 2013 at 11:06 PM

I'd laugh and say, "what are we dating or something?" If she continues ask her "Why do you need to know?" or "Why do you think it's okay to always ask me that?" This way you are asking her a question and putting her on the spot

taKENheart
by Flovely on Aug. 24, 2013 at 11:28 PM

You could offer up a funny answer like many have suggested or you could just tell her the truth.  Sometimes people just ask to make conversation.  Some people are really that nosy.  If you have a real problem with it based on the way she asks (with attitude) then I would give it right back and say My my my aren't you a nosy bitch, lol...don't forget to chuckle though, lol!

If it were me then I would offer up the funny answer.  If it continued again with attitude then I would do the latter.

trainlady
by on Aug. 25, 2013 at 7:00 AM

Just tell her it is a private conversation and you don't care to share it with her or with your uncle. You are a grown person and they have no business sticking their nose into your business. Your best bet is simply turn off your phone when in their house and then you don't have a problem. I am a great-aunt age 71 and I wouldn't dream of asking my nieces or nephews what they are talking about on their phones. Its none of my business and I don't care to get involved. The one thing I do ask is that they turn off their phones while we are having dinner or involved in something else where all present are also in it. But tell her its none of her business and you don't intend to share and drop it at that. What the heck is she going to do about it?

MomOf3AngelBabe
by on Aug. 25, 2013 at 7:33 AM

LOL! This!!

My mother used to do that ALL the time. Ill be 33 in two weeks and she did it up until the last day I saw her two years ago. lol Good luck hun! You might have to just be direct but polite with her if the approach below doesnt cut it. ;) 

Quoting kolbiesmommy:

Idk when my mom asks I say my drug dealer. She says "haha ok smart ass". And leaves it alone but I know she's really dying on the inside to know who it is lol.

dlnimo
by on Aug. 25, 2013 at 8:24 AM
I would just ask her why she wants to know!
Natasha0704
by Member on Aug. 26, 2013 at 6:43 PM

I suppose different responses would work depending on your aunt. If she is completely conservative, you could shock her with "my drug dealer", "my pimp", or even "I'm talking to a friend about doing a burlesque show together later this week".

If she has a favorite show, you could make it a joke and be a smartass about it. For instance, if someone is really into star wars, I would say maybe that I'm texting Yoda to ask a question about using the Force or something along those lines. One of my friends is a huge Doctore Who fan so I sometimes say "The Doctor" and there really is no need for explanation after that. 

PestPatti
by on Aug. 26, 2013 at 7:49 PM
1 mom liked this

The obvious,  It's Jake from State Farm.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN