Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Dog owners! I have a question for ya! UPDATE! The vet called!

Posted by on Aug. 23, 2013 at 9:30 AM
  • 15 Replies

My dog, Laney, is a chocolate lab. She has hip dysplasia. She has had aches and pains on and off for a while now but yesterday she started some serious pain. She has done nothing but limp, favor her right back leg, whine constantly, leaving little sweat drops all over the house. She is miserable, as well as me. I hate seeing her in pain like this. I called the vet about 20 mins ago. They werent in just yet but the receptionist said she would have them call me back soon. I asked her if there was any way I could give her motrin or something that i have for us, to give her for her pain until I can get her in to them in two weeks.

I have always heard that you can not give dogs human pain reliever, it will kill them if not done right. But a friend of mine claims she gives her dogs that all the time for pain. I just want to know if you have given your animal human pain reliever, how much, how long and what was the outcome? Waiting on vet to call me back is killing me!

UPDATE:

The vet says I can give her 325 mg tabs of buffered asprin, 1 to 1 1/2 tabs twice a day after a meal, until I get her in in two weeks. Thanks for the replies ladies!

by on Aug. 23, 2013 at 9:30 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
elephantmamaof2
by on Aug. 23, 2013 at 9:35 AM
1 mom liked this

Dogs cannot process NSAID pain relievers, like Tylenol or Motrin. The only human pain reliever they can have is a baby asprin. Hope your girl gets some relief soon, I have a lab with hip problems too, it stinks!

momdoes
by Platinum Member on Aug. 23, 2013 at 9:38 AM

Thats what I thought but I keep having people tell me that they can have it but in a way different amt than we can take. I know I can give her benadryl, which didnt help at all. was hoping she would at least calm down and sleep some. She will not sit, lay down, just constantly walking around whining. She did get some rest during the night it seems and can put more weight on that leg now but she is still in pain. Ican see it all ove rher! Thanks for the kind words momma.

Quoting elephantmamaof2:

Dogs cannot process NSAID pain relievers, like Tylenol or Motrin. The only human pain reliever they can have is a baby asprin. Hope your girl gets some relief soon, I have a lab with hip problems too, it stinks!

jmp1279
by Member on Aug. 23, 2013 at 9:41 AM

How much benadryl did you give her? How much does she weigh?

momdoes
by Platinum Member on Aug. 23, 2013 at 9:42 AM

Vet said its ok to give 1 mg for each lb of body weight. She weighs 96 so I give her four pills that are 25 mg each

Quoting jmp1279:

goddiddlyumshis
by on Aug. 23, 2013 at 9:43 AM
Digs can have baby aspirin
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Rachael-Dawn
by Bronze Member on Aug. 23, 2013 at 9:43 AM
Take her to an animal hospital.
elephantmamaof2
by on Aug. 23, 2013 at 9:44 AM

Yea even in the smallest doses it can cause kidney and liver issues. You're welcome!

Quoting momdoes:

Thats what I thought but I keep having people tell me that they can have it but in a way different amt than we can take. I know I can give her benadryl, which didnt help at all. was hoping she would at least calm down and sleep some. She will not sit, lay down, just constantly walking around whining. She did get some rest during the night it seems and can put more weight on that leg now but she is still in pain. Ican see it all ove rher! Thanks for the kind words momma.

Quoting elephantmamaof2:

goddiddlyumshis
by on Aug. 23, 2013 at 9:44 AM
Did you even read the post??

Quoting Rachael-Dawn:

Take her to an animal hospital.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jmp1279
by Member on Aug. 23, 2013 at 9:45 AM

That's what I was going to say.  Can the vet give you some Rimadyl to tide you over until they can see her.  

Quoting momdoes:

Vet said its ok to give 1 mg for each lb of body weight. She weighs 96 so I give her four pills that are 25 mg each

Quoting jmp1279:

momdoes
by Platinum Member on Aug. 23, 2013 at 9:45 AM

Hoping my vet gives her something before he can see her. He is really good about stuff like that for us. he knows I will bring her in, and if he wants to see her NOW, Ill just have to tell him only if you take payment in two weeks! LOL I know he will do xrays and blood work on her and we dont have $$ in acct until two weeks to cover that kind of cost.

Quoting goddiddlyumshis:

Digs can have baby aspirin

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN