Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Who has more rights here: The teacher or the student? Teacher's Allergy, Ohio Girl's Service Dog At Odds

Posted by on Aug. 23, 2013 at 11:17 AM
  • 16 Replies

The mother of an autistic first-grader who uses a service dog is challenging a decision that the girl must change schools in her southeast Ohio district because her special-education teacher is allergic to dog dander.

Athens schools' superintendent Carl Martin calls it a reasonable solution to balance the rights of the teacher and the student.

Charla Gretz, of The Plains, tells The Columbus Dispatch it would disturb her 6-year-old daughter. She also says the bus ride would be significantly longer, a claim Martin disputes.

An attorney with the Ohio School Boards Association says schools are legally obligated to accommodate the student and teacher. She says that might be harder for a smaller district like Athens with fewer special-education teachers.

Gretz plans to take the issue to the school board.

by on Aug. 23, 2013 at 11:17 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
terpmama
by Gold Member on Aug. 23, 2013 at 11:20 AM
3 moms liked this

Ok sorry but if kiddo needs the dog and tech is allergic then one of them needs to switch... Kiddo is easiest and least disruptive to move (as teach has multiple students who would be disrupted too)... Moms being unreasonable.

ladyraven16
by Platinum Member on Aug. 23, 2013 at 11:22 AM
2 moms liked this
Seems to me the mom is being unreasonable. I guess if she wants her daughter to stay, the dig will have to go. Its not fair to all the other kids in the class to have their lives disrupted by making the teacher leave.
SuperMommy22
by Bronze Member on Aug. 23, 2013 at 11:30 AM
I agree, the child changing schools seems to be the best option. Yes, it may be difficult but the mom needs to look at the bigger picture.
mfk3
by Member on Aug. 23, 2013 at 11:34 AM
1 mom liked this
Is there another spacial ed class in the same school she can attend?
bzzybeemomof3
by on Aug. 23, 2013 at 12:28 PM

I hate to have top agree its easier for the child to move schools or classes etc...but overall I think its totally unfair to either of them to have to move. I would like to say the teacher, but in reality that would be a whole different issue within itself.

RhondaJ
by on Aug. 23, 2013 at 12:41 PM

If It were my daughter I can see why she is upset.  It looks like her daughter is being discriminated against.  Looking at the big picture then the simplest solution is for her to change schools.  Obviously if her daughter could have just went to another teacher in that school then the problem would have been resolved. 

KenneMaw
by Member on Aug. 23, 2013 at 12:55 PM
1 mom liked this

This is a perfect example where parents want their child needs to outweight everyone else's.  This is 1 child with special needs. The school district is offering a solution.  The child is not being discriminated against.   It is wrong to make the teacher change schools because of the needs of 1 student.   I am familar with that area of Ohio - I grew up about an hour away and it is very rural area so I would imagine that special ed classes teachers are very limited. 

armywifey1983
by Bronze Member on Aug. 23, 2013 at 3:34 PM

A change in schools might be necessary this year, unless this wasn't the only special education teacher at her school. The child has a right to her dog, as dictated in the ADA, so removing the dog isn't the answer either.

redhead-bedhead
by Platinum Member on Aug. 23, 2013 at 3:38 PM

Many children with special needs have service dogs. I think it's odd that the teacher would pick an occupation that would require her to be exposed to an allergen.

happymommy1105
by Platinum Member on Aug. 23, 2013 at 3:39 PM

i don't see the problem.  mom is being completely unreasonable.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)