Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Home school or public school

Posted by on Aug. 23, 2013 at 10:50 PM
  • 26 Replies
1 mom liked this
What are the pros and cons?How social are your home schoolers?What reasons are you home schooling?I'm considering it so just like some info :)
by on Aug. 23, 2013 at 10:50 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
terpmama
by Gold Member on Aug. 23, 2013 at 11:03 PM

I looked at my kiddos and their learning styles and my own. I also considered how well they do in social situations. Lastly, I considered how well they "learn" things from me. My eldest is a kid who watches for a while then joins in once he understands all aspects. He is very much a visual learner. My youngest is a kinesthetic learner, "do it self" was his mantra as a toddler. I am not in line with either really. I am an auditory learner with a side of kinesthetic in there for good measure. Both boys are social. My eldest with have a few close buddies but can generally get along with anyone. My youngest is a politician... he loves to interact with everyone and work the room. Lastly, how well do they learn from me specifically. My oldest doesn't do well at all when I try to "teach". We both get frustrated and he will do the opposite just to watch what happens. My youngest is similar. They are the same way with Daddy. And I was the same way with my parents. I was much more open to criticism and correction (no matter how lovingly and constructively it was given). I was very hard headed when it came to my folks and learning.

For these reasons, we have decided to public school our kids. We are fully capable of suplementing as needed if we feel they are missing something. We probably won't ever consider full on homeschooling (vs charter, private, online....) as it is not a good fit for our kids and family.

frndlyfn
by Emerald Member on Aug. 23, 2013 at 11:11 PM
1 mom liked this

I agree with first poster.   My dd resist learning from me as well so she does better with her brick and mortar school. She has formed bonds with many of the teachers and staff so that is an extension of her support system when she is upset or has a problem.  We do supplemental at home to support whatever they are learning in school.  I stay in close contact with the teacher.

I have known people with postive experiences of homeschooling and negative homeschooling.  There are several different kinds of homeschooling.

waytomanykids10
by on Aug. 23, 2013 at 11:44 PM

My homeschoolers are very social. They are in sports, they get together once a week with other homeschooled kids, they take classes at the library 1-2 times a week that our library puts on for homeschooled children. They also attend church every Sunday where they socialize with other children. Most of my kids have a very easy time making friends at the park when we go. My 8 year old is shy and it takes her a little longer but I think that is because her birthmother never took her out into public (we adopted her when she was 6). My husband decided to homeschool because our schools were not that great and he felt he could give them a better education (he was a teacher for 20 years before we got married).

My 8 year old was at a 3 year old level when we adopted her at the age of 6, she is now 8 and is completely caught up with kids her age.

My 11 year old will be attending public school this year. He wanted to take at least this next year and experience school. I'm a little nervous about sending him, socially he will do fine.  I just don't want him to be bored in school, he is almost 3 years ahead of his peers academically  so it makes me a little nervous that he will not be challenged enough.

We will continue to homeschool my 8, 7 and 5 year old children. I feel the best place for my elementary age children is at home with their family. I myself, could never homeschool my kids that is why I leave it up to my husband.

JP-StrongForTwo
by on Aug. 23, 2013 at 11:55 PM

I do both :) i call it public homeschooling :P 

its online public school. we are at home doing it, but it is through the state public school system. 

we chose to do this because my daughter is autistic, and has very bad anxiety in the class, and it was getting difficult to handle for both her, and the teachers. she was spending almost all her time in the resource room and not getting any learning done. 

being at home, the days are much shorter, we are done by lunch time, because its just me, her and her teacher, vs a class full of children all day. her anxiety is much better, which makes her social anxiety better, and she does so much better socially when its on her terms, instead of the schools terms. she is in ballet, baseball, and we have a few co-ops, field trip groups, and parkdays after the temps drop below 100 lol. 

if its something you are considering, and arent sure where to start, maybe check into this? 

there is connectionsacademy.com

k12.com

and calvertschool.org (though im not positive about this ones credentials, and its not available in all states. 

JP-StrongForTwo
by on Aug. 23, 2013 at 11:56 PM

also, im glad you posted here instead of MC. you wont get so many bashers, cause they cant use the anon button :P 

alexis_06
by AnnaLisa :) on Aug. 24, 2013 at 3:59 AM

i dont have the patience to do it myself..lol so theres not option for me! lol

tnt-manda
by on Aug. 24, 2013 at 4:15 AM
It does take alot of work, but teaching your own children is completely rewarding. My only regret was not doing it sooner. We are in our fourth year. I have 3 boys, 5th grade, 2nd grade, and pre-school.

My oldest went to ps for kinder and first, he was a struggling reader and started picking up some behaviors, (kinda felt like I was loosing my tenderhearted sweet little guy) We also wanted them to have a more Bible based education and my dh had wierd working hours.

Homeschooling gave us more family time, my boys are independent, self motivators, very well disciplined in their school work, and have grown to have a real love for learning. My oldest has also tremendously improved in reading.
My only draw back is my kids are with me all day long so Ive had to get creative to keep my me time as well.

Yes, my boys are probably tooo social. lol. They talk to everyone. They have friends at church and they also play baseball.

Homeschooling works for some people, but its not for everyone. It does take alot of dedication, perserverance, as well as alot of trial and error on your part. Once you find your groove...you will be just fine.
RADmomma
by on Aug. 24, 2013 at 5:40 AM
We homeschool because for our family it's the best option. My daughter thrives on learning things in great detail. She learns in a very hands on way. Her learning style doesn't suit a public school. If we find something she is interested in, we might add that specific thing (animal usually) into lessons for weeks. I like the flexibility that we can learn at her own pace. She would not excel & thrive in a public school setting.

She has no problem making friends. She is definitely her dads girl there. They can talk to anyone & bam!!! Best friends. Lol.

Before dd reached school age we noticed that she learned very well at home & decided to research homeschooling. We have many friends who were homeschooled as children & started there. It didn't take long to see that this was the best option for my crunchy unique little family,

Good luck on you decision.
fostermommy1
by Member on Aug. 24, 2013 at 9:58 AM
2 moms liked this

Bear with me...as a public school teacher, with a MS in education and working toward my doctorate in educational leadership, I often cringe when people talk about homeschooling.  This conversation has been very enlightening.  You have all been very open for your reasons to homeschool or not.  I am very impressed. I've met my fair share of homeschool parents who won't/can't tell me why they homeschool, and those who should have never made that decision.  Thank you for your candor and for opening my eyes a little more about homeschooling.  Good luck with your decision, and good luck to everybody with the start of the new school year.

momtoBrenna
by Silver Member on Aug. 24, 2013 at 10:32 AM

I homeschooled and eschooled my dd because she is gifted and our local schools offer nothing for the gifted kids. She now attends a full time gifted charter school and has been whole grade accelerated to 3rd grade for this coming school year. I wouldn't trade our time homeschooling for anything but she is thriving at her school and it is K-8 so she will be there for 5 more years.

My ds will be eschooled this year in part because of our poor schools. The biggest factor though is that he is medically fragile and his medical team requested that he be schooled at home for, at least, another year. He is also gifted with different strengths than dd and will, hopefully, attend her school starting in 1st grade. He is a very movement oriented learner and introverted though so we may continue with Eschooling for him for those reasons. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)