Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club
What are the pros and cons?How social are your home schoolers?What reasons are you home schooling?I'm considering it so just like some info :)
by on Aug. 23, 2013 at 10:50 PM
Replies (11-20):
cecilyloring
by on Aug. 24, 2013 at 10:41 AM
1 mom liked this

I was homeschooled k-12. I will not be homeschooling our children. The cons for me were I was lonely, especially as I got older. While my parents are very well educated (ph.d.) and did a good job with the basics, I didn't have the opportunity to specialize with extra-curriculars that would have been available in the high school setting. I am a verbal processor so I had a harder time learning studying at home. When I went to college the class interaction really helped my learning. Also it was really hard on my mom to stay at home that many years to homeschool and I don't want to do that to myself.

PS All my siblings feel the same way that they will not homeschool their kids.

socali2idaho06
by on Aug. 24, 2013 at 12:24 PM
I am curious how you determine how far ahead your child is. In school the range is so wide. There are those well below grade level, slightly below, right at grade level, slightly above and well above. My daughter has always been well above. This year was her first year doing state testing and she was just short of a 600 which is the highest in reading. Yet I have never felt like she wasn't challenged.

Quoting waytomanykids10:

My homeschoolers are very social. They are in sports, they get together once a week with other homeschooled kids, they take classes at the library 1-2 times a week that our library puts on for homeschooled children. They also attend church every Sunday where they socialize with other children. Most of my kids have a very easy time making friends at the park when we go. My 8 year old is shy and it takes her a little longer but I think that is because her birthmother never took her out into public (we adopted her when she was 6). My husband decided to homeschool because our schools were not that great and he felt he could give them a better education (he was a teacher for 20 years before we got married).

My 8 year old was at a 3 year old level when we adopted her at the age of 6, she is now 8 and is completely caught up with kids her age.

My 11 year old will be attending public school this year. He wanted to take at least this next year and experience school. I'm a little nervous about sending him, socially he will do fine.  I just don't want him to be bored in school, he is almost 3 years ahead of his peers academically  so it makes me a little nervous that he will not be challenged enough.

We will continue to homeschool my 8, 7 and 5 year old children. I feel the best place for my elementary age children is at home with their family. I myself, could never homeschool my kids that is why I leave it up to my husband.

waytomanykids10
by on Aug. 24, 2013 at 12:36 PM

When I signed my son up for 6th grade they tested  him to see where he was at academically. The school is the one that said that he tested above all the students in his grade. In all, there are 55 students in his grade and none of them tested above a 6th or 7th grade level.

Quoting socali2idaho06:

I am curious how you determine how far ahead your child is. In school the range is so wide. There are those well below grade level, slightly below, right at grade level, slightly above and well above. My daughter has always been well above. This year was her first year doing state testing and she was just short of a 600 which is the highest in reading. Yet I have never felt like she wasn't challenged.

Quoting waytomanykids10:

My homeschoolers are very social. They are in sports, they get together once a week with other homeschooled kids, they take classes at the library 1-2 times a week that our library puts on for homeschooled children. They also attend church every Sunday where they socialize with other children. Most of my kids have a very easy time making friends at the park when we go. My 8 year old is shy and it takes her a little longer but I think that is because her birthmother never took her out into public (we adopted her when she was 6). My husband decided to homeschool because our schools were not that great and he felt he could give them a better education (he was a teacher for 20 years before we got married).

My 8 year old was at a 3 year old level when we adopted her at the age of 6, she is now 8 and is completely caught up with kids her age.

My 11 year old will be attending public school this year. He wanted to take at least this next year and experience school. I'm a little nervous about sending him, socially he will do fine.  I just don't want him to be bored in school, he is almost 3 years ahead of his peers academically  so it makes me a little nervous that he will not be challenged enough.

We will continue to homeschool my 8, 7 and 5 year old children. I feel the best place for my elementary age children is at home with their family. I myself, could never homeschool my kids that is why I leave it up to my husband.

Texasladybug84
by Member on Aug. 24, 2013 at 12:44 PM
Pros- u teach them what u want them to learn for the most part
You don't have to worry about bullying or school shootings

Cons- they won't be socialized for the most part, they ended up feeling awkward in social settings like I found out
They won't have many friends
They don't get the fun of being in school sports or activities
They lots if times end up being behind when they enter college

IMO that's some of the pros and cons and studying this in school showed that it was religious middle class families who leaned towards homeschooling. Homeschooling seemed to shelter them most times.
eesmommy
by Gold Member on Aug. 24, 2013 at 12:45 PM
we homeschool.
we sent ds to a private pre-k and a public school kindergarten. He was that child who needed to be drawn out of his shell and we saw great things with him. Both classes were small and the teachers and principals were fabulous. Dd is a totally different child. We decided not to put her in any school and she does just fine. dd takes tap jazz and ballet, ds plays basketball and they both play the piano. Both are very social children and adapt to various situations with ease. Ds is happg out if his shell and while he is still and most likely always will be a less social and butterfly child.... he benefitted from going to school those two years.

His pre-k year his teacher suggested homeschooling since he was far above his classmates. she advised us that in first grade he woukd be held back with the rest kf the class and that that wouldnt benefit him. he was part of a grouo of select few children who were able to go to go to other grade rooms for subjects they excelled in.
socali2idaho06
by on Aug. 24, 2013 at 12:53 PM
That is interesting. Our school district does not do that type of testing nor do they tell us how other students perform.

Quoting waytomanykids10:

When I signed my son up for 6th grade they tested  him to see where he was at academically. The school is the one that said that he tested above all the students in his grade. In all, there are 55 students in his grade and none of them tested above a 6th or 7th grade level.

Quoting socali2idaho06:

Quoting waytomanykids10:

theresaphilly
by Theresa on Aug. 24, 2013 at 7:29 PM
It's a personal choice, don't homeschool because you think nothing awful will never happen to your child. Homeschool because you know you can offer your child more than public or private schools can. Children can socialize anywhere with anyone. My kids are big into competitive sports and really loves being around their friends, that is one of the main reasons why I do not homeschool.
Pnukey
by Jennifer on Aug. 24, 2013 at 8:40 PM

I'm  a public school teacher, so of course I go that route with my own kids. However, I always supplement their learning because I don't expect the schools to be able to spend the time it takes to get to know my kids like I do and follow up on all their interests. 

trainlady
by on Aug. 25, 2013 at 7:11 AM

Some home school is alright. But at some age children need to be in classrooms with others so they learn to socialize with other people of all types and ages. If you totally home school your child and it grows up that way and maybe by high school wants to go to school they will have no idea how to handle others their age and teachers, and coaches, etc.. Children need to be socialized or they will be flying into a wild wide world and that is not safe.

momofsixangels
by Ruby Member on Aug. 25, 2013 at 8:58 AM

I have 5 in school. My 14 year old dd starts home schooling next week. The reaosns are she is so stressed about everything thats going on and in a new school and just cries all the time.We talked to her counsekor and she agreed online schooling was best for her. My other 4 are in public schools as was my oldest dd

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)