Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club
What are the pros and cons?How social are your home schoolers?What reasons are you home schooling?I'm considering it so just like some info :)
by on Aug. 23, 2013 at 10:50 PM
Replies (21-26):
mom2theA-team
by on Aug. 25, 2013 at 9:32 AM

We homeschool. Our five year old actually rejects structure and demands which turns her into a demon child, lol. 

When we treat her like an adult she is responsible, respectful and the sweetest child.... So we homeschool because the structure, IMO is bad for her. 

As for social aspects.

M- We have a playdate which lasts three hours and then we do a field trip. T- Gymnastics lessons. W- field trips or play dates with our homeschool group. Th- Gymnastics. F- we do an enrichment program for homeschoolers which is six hours and a drop off. S- gymnastics and time with her neighborhood friends. Su- neighborhood kids. 

She is social, I am not. 

ETA: We are also doing 4-H twice a month and a scouting organization which is inclusive, unlike the boy/ girl scouts.  

ablackdolphin
by Silver Member on Nov. 15, 2013 at 3:20 PM

Homeschool!! Social "issues" for Homeschoolers are such a thing of the past. There are so many homeschool groups, co-ops, homeschool days at various museums, zoos etc.  Sports, clubs and other activities and classes are so easy to find.  Honestly, we almost have too much to choose from.

Our homeschool group in the past few weeks: Has requested items for the newsletter, is doing a spelling bee, went trick or treating at a retirement home, has weekly park days, is putting on a recital, went on a camping outing, is touring a water treatment facility, and on and on.....

ablackdolphin
by Silver Member on Nov. 15, 2013 at 3:22 PM

As far as programs, there are so many programs out there.  There are even homeschool expos and conferences. 

Everyone has their own reasons for homeschooling but usually there are many reasons.

katiebug840204
by Gold Member on Nov. 15, 2013 at 3:29 PM
My kids are in public school. I know homeschooling would be good for them becAuse they are having some troubles and could work at their own pace but honestly, I do not have the patience to do it.
ditsyjo
by Gold Member on Nov. 15, 2013 at 4:35 PM
There is definitely a right way and a wrong way to do it.... I would not consider homeschooling my kids until they have a good grasp on basics but if ever do for whatever reason I can thing of a couple of families I will not be imitating but I admire anyone who can do it right

Quoting fostermommy1:

Bear with me...as a public school teacher, with a MS in education and working toward my doctorate in educational leadership, I often cringe when people talk about homeschooling.  This conversation has been very enlightening.  You have all been very open for your reasons to homeschool or not.  I am very impressed. I've met my fair share of homeschool parents who won't/can't tell me why they homeschool, and those who should have never made that decision.  Thank you for your candor and for opening my eyes a little more about homeschooling.  Good luck with your decision, and good luck to everybody with the start of the new school year.

NDADanceMom
by on Nov. 15, 2013 at 4:37 PM
We go to public school. We live in an area with good schools, teachers and kids. There are programs for most levels of kids and we don't need to spoon feed our kids in the exact manner they learn best. How will that work for college or a career? I don't try to make a perfect bubble for my kids. I put them in a good situation and they figure out the rest.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)