Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

right time for a bed??

Posted by on Aug. 24, 2013 at 5:54 PM
  • 10 Replies
When is the right time for a bed. My dd is 16 almost 17 months and she either sleeps with us or in her crib. Is she ready or old enough?
by on Aug. 24, 2013 at 5:54 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
momdoes
by Platinum Member on Aug. 24, 2013 at 6:02 PM

My son was two when we put him in his own twin bed. We didnt waste money on a toddler bed.

Shari55
by on Aug. 24, 2013 at 6:04 PM

All my girls were one when we put them in their own beds, they each climbed out of their cribs. We just got side rails so they wouldn't fall out. 

katherine50
by on Aug. 24, 2013 at 6:13 PM
So shes old enough.

Quoting Shari55:

All my girls were one when we put them in their own beds, they each climbed out of their cribs. We just got side rails so they wouldn't fall out. 

Shari55
by on Aug. 24, 2013 at 6:16 PM

If you feel she is, you will need to train her to stay in bed, which can be done by starting or continuing your nightly routine.  Also make it exciting for her, that she is a big girl and all. 

Quoting katherine50:

So shes old enough.

Quoting Shari55:

Shari(8/55), wife to John(6/52) since (4/88), Mom to Heather (1/77) she is mom to five b(9/99),b(1/01),b(5/03),g(6/04) g( 8/06), Nyssa(4/89) Michaela(8/94) and three cats

katherine50
by on Aug. 24, 2013 at 6:24 PM
She likes being a big girl and I think shes ready. Know I just have to find a bed.

Quoting Shari55:

If you feel she is, you will need to train her to stay in bed, which can be done by starting or continuing your nightly routine.  Also make it exciting for her, that she is a big girl and all. 

Quoting katherine50:

So shes old enough.

Quoting Shari55:

Shari55
by on Aug. 24, 2013 at 6:37 PM

I remember that feeling. I only had one child who had a toddler bed, she used it for about a year...so for me that is a waste of money. 

Quoting katherine50:

She likes being a big girl and I think shes ready. Know I just have to find a bed.

Quoting Shari55:

Quoting katherine50:

So shes old enough.

Quoting Shari55:

Shari(8/55), wife to John(6/52) since (4/88), Mom to Heather (1/77) she is mom to five b(9/99),b(1/01),b(5/03),g(6/04) g( 8/06), Nyssa(4/89) Michaela(8/94) and three cats

MammaPK
by Member on Aug. 24, 2013 at 6:51 PM

My experience:

I have five kids, boys and girls.  My experience comes from my third child, my daughter, Chloe.  We moved when she was just under 2 years old.  She loved her crib and was doing great sleeping in it.  Then, we moved to a new house and I wanted to change the nursery to a kid room. Her sister is just about 20 monhs older than her, so they've always shared a room.So... I bought the girls new bunkbeds and decorated such a cute bedroom.

This was such a mess!  I wish that I had waited.  She was fine in her baby crib.  She loved it.  She is 15, now, and it is still fresh in my memory. I wish I hadn't rushed her.

BTW: By mess, I mean she would NOT sleep in her bed.  She kept crawling out and going to my bed.  Then, her sister would follow... oh my goodness, I was a single, working mom at the time and had one kiddo, a few years older, too.

I'm not gonna lie...not one of my finer moments!

All this to say, wait...don't rush.  It is exciting to get to the next step, but you will be to 15 before you know it. Lol!

Hope that helps,

PK (much wiser b/c of those stinkin' mistakes)hugs

DSamuels
by Silver Member on Aug. 24, 2013 at 10:18 PM

My oldest went into a bed at about 15 months. We moved and she got my old bedroom furniture and bed and her brother moved from the bassinet to the crib. We put the bed against the wall and bought a side rail so she didn't fall out. We bought her brother his twin bed for his 2nd birthday. They both did fine.

trainlady
by Bronze Member on Aug. 25, 2013 at 7:08 AM

The average age is somewhere between age 2 and 4 depending on the child. But if you put her in a bed be sure she can't fall out on the floor when she is sleeping. If she is old enough to understand that she is becoming a big girl and can have her own bed and maybe pick out the blankets for it, it might stop her from sleeping in your bed. That is not a really good thing for her or for you and your hubby. But it all depends on how grown up she is at her age.

calsmom62
by Silver Member on Aug. 25, 2013 at 8:32 AM
we put the mattress on the floor so if they fell out of bed it would not be dangerous. it was around 18 mos.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)