Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Seriously......What the heck is wrong with kids today?

Posted by on Aug. 24, 2013 at 6:01 PM
  • 15 Replies

I have just read two stories of kids between the ages of 15 to 17, killing people for no damn good reason. One man was killed for money. He was an 88 yr old man. The other was the college student, taht two boys killed and admitted they did it for the fun of it because they were bored. How much shame do their mothers feel? How much guilt? How much anger?

Something needs to be done about today's youth. I dont know what, but damn, something should be done.

Here the links to the stories I speak of:

http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/08/23/20159691-da-teens-accused-in-ballplayers-slaying-wont-be-charged-with-hate-crimes

http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/08/23/20145461-teen-charged-second-sought-in-beating-death-of-wwii-vet-88-in-spokane-wash?lite&ocid=msnhp&pos=5

by on Aug. 24, 2013 at 6:01 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
NDADanceMom
by on Aug. 24, 2013 at 6:29 PM
An 8 year old boy shot his caregiver last week for fun according to him.
I think the vast majority of kids are just fine. I don't think anything needs to be done to the whole group because of a crazy few.
momdoes
by Platinum Member on Aug. 24, 2013 at 6:31 PM

I just read that one too and was about to put the link in. He had been playing Grand Theft Auto and that is why he did it!

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2013/08/24/la-police-boy-8-fatally-shoots-0-year-old-relative-after-playing-video-game/

Quoting NDADanceMom:

An 8 year old boy shot his caregiver last week for fun according to him.
I think the vast majority of kids are just fine. I don't think anything needs to be done to the whole group because of a crazy few.

MammaPK
by on Aug. 24, 2013 at 6:33 PM
1 mom liked this

Of course, mental illness is part of it, but, have you noticed that parents aren't disciplined.  Parents seem to expect more of their children than they do of themselves, including expecting children to raise themselves.

theresaphilly
by Theresa on Aug. 24, 2013 at 7:25 PM

I am not familiar with your first story, but your second story, both those two guys admitted they had no family and basically raised themselves, so I am assuming their parents don't care about what is happening to them. Kids are never  held responsible for anything, I saw on the news this morning a kid, about age 9, killed his father because he saw it on some video game, once again the blame is put elsewhere never on the child committing the murders. 

notjstasocermom
by Samantha on Aug. 24, 2013 at 9:54 PM
1 mom liked this

this is not new.

Rachael-Dawn
by Bronze Member on Aug. 24, 2013 at 10:10 PM
3 moms liked this
What do people expect. Kids are allowed to play sick violent games and are exposed to other things equally as bad, combine that with parents that are too lazy to discipline etc and you get crazy. It's heartbreaking.
DSamuels
by Silver Member on Aug. 24, 2013 at 10:10 PM

I never heard that they robbed the 88 year old WWII vet. I thought it was just another "just because" killing. Those two boys are sick! WTF beats an 88 year old man with heavy flashlights? They also had prior assaults and they are both under 18. SMH

singlemotherof8
by on Aug. 24, 2013 at 10:13 PM
1 mom liked this

Kids think they can do whatever they want now because of all the child abuse stuff going on. I remember being punished with a belt and spanked and other things. Now it's all a big no no or you loose your kids. Kids just get away with to much anymore because of all the laws.

GaleJ
by Silver Member on Aug. 24, 2013 at 10:58 PM

Our society has a serious mental health epidemic, across all ages and demographics. From the huge number of people that are diagnosed with serious mental health issues to the number that suffer without diagnosis to those who deal with less severe illness that can still interfere with normal function. At the same time our society is changing so very quickly, the economy is leaving people unable to support themselves, and people are stressed beyond coping in so many cases. With those conditions you can expect more of this kind of thing and unless and until we start to take mental wellness seriously and start to treat people's illness and the societal conditions that contribute to them I am fearful that we can expect more abhorrent behavior.

JustahGyrl
by on Aug. 24, 2013 at 11:03 PM

There's a reason. These people are disturbed. It's not something new but it is sad. There are a lot of sick people in the world. I remember when I was a freshman in high school there was a 5 year old girl who set her family on fire in their sleep. That was in 1994. When I was a senior a group of boys beat a girl who was at the park. I think she was 8 years old. This wasn't even in this decade. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)