Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

How do you explain to your 13 year old daughter that money doesn't grow on trees?

Posted by on Aug. 24, 2013 at 6:08 PM
  • 127 Replies
1 mom liked this

Hi, Does anyone else deal with this issue.  My daughter is 13 going on 20, LOL.  She thinks my wallet is a bottomless pit of wealth.  Do I need to put her on a budget?  Any ideas or tips?  Thanks.  Hope everyone is having a good night.  Shay

by on Aug. 24, 2013 at 6:08 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
IamMex11
by Bronze Member on Aug. 24, 2013 at 6:09 PM

bump to be first....i will be right back

momdoes
by Platinum Member on Aug. 24, 2013 at 6:10 PM
5 moms liked this

LOL........When my son was that age, he would do the same thing. I would just look at him and say.........You want what? A job?

He learned real quick that momma aint buying whatever. He has worked for his own money since he was 15.

Kaya529
by Bronze Member on Aug. 24, 2013 at 6:12 PM
2 moms liked this
To teach DS the value of money I will be letting him plan a vacation he wants to go on. That way he has fun and he can see how much things cost. Of course he will have a budget. The idea can work with anything fron back to school shopping or a family night out.
beadingmom17
by Rachel on Aug. 24, 2013 at 6:14 PM
9 moms liked this
Shoot, my 6 and 5 year olds have already learned that lesson! Mom has a limited amount of money...you want something beyond neccessities? You pay for it yourself!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
frndlyfn
by Emerald Member on Aug. 24, 2013 at 6:18 PM
3 moms liked this

Give her a strict allowance. And then show her how to budget that money to get things she wants.  5-10 dollars would be enough for a 13 yr old to learn finances.   

My dd already knows this lesson very well since we have not always been in the position to splurge.  She will save her allowance for a 20 dollar toy or she will spend it weekly at dollar tree or McD's for fries.  DD is 7 and we are about to take 20 dollars worth of coins to the bank to turn into paper money.  She loves to donate her change as well to diferent charities.

terpmama
by Gold Member on Aug. 24, 2013 at 6:20 PM
2 moms liked this

We do allowances... My 4 year old is saving to open a real bank acct. he's 15 bucks into his 25 dollar goal.

ColieO
by I Rock on Aug. 24, 2013 at 6:22 PM
4 moms liked this
Make her grocery shop for you. Give her alimited amount of money and a shopping list. Teach her the value of a dollar.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Shari55
by on Aug. 24, 2013 at 6:23 PM
2 moms liked this

My girls had to earn it from a young age (4yrs.old) by doing chores around the home. By the time they were 13, they knew how to budget and to this day understand. Oh I occasionally had to remind them but that is to be expected when one see the latest gadet on sale, gee I even have to remind myself and husband occasionally.

One of the sure fire ways is to say "No". I use to tell them that if they want it bad enough save your money. 

Shari(8/55), wife to John(6/52) since (4/88), Mom to Heather (1/77) she is mom to five b(9/99),b(1/01),b(5/03),g(6/04) g( 8/06), Nyssa(4/89) Michaela(8/94) and three cats

NDADanceMom
by on Aug. 24, 2013 at 6:25 PM
1 mom liked this
What is the issue? Kids will always ask and you just say no. I get my kids what i feel like getting them. They know if something is a good deal they can ask and i may get it. They learn if they shop clearance sales online I'm more likely to hand over my credit card than if its full price.
Mindfulmommaof2
by on Aug. 24, 2013 at 6:25 PM
5 moms liked this

You really need to have started before the age of 13. My kids are learning now at 5 &3. Its a valuable life lesson

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN