Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Does your child get blue lips when they swim?

Posted by on Aug. 24, 2013 at 11:45 PM
  • 20 Replies

My six year old has had it happen before while swimming in the ocean. The ocean is cold though and I never thought much of it. I would have him get out and dry off so that he warmed up. Today we went to a birthday party at an indoor pool. His lips were blue shortly after getting in and the pool area was warm, the water was pretty warm too. None of the other kids, including my nine year old, had it happen.

I am going to call and ask his doctor on monday if this should concern me.  I just thought I would ask for other's experiences with this.

by on Aug. 24, 2013 at 11:45 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
calsmom62
by Silver Member on Aug. 24, 2013 at 11:49 PM
my friend growing up always got blue lips swimming. but we swam in a deep coldwater mountain lake. i remember that her mom always told me to make her get out and wrap up in a towel when I would see it. i wonder now if it was really an asthma related thing rather than cold
Gingered
by on Aug. 24, 2013 at 11:50 PM

Quoting calsmom62:

my friend growing up always got blue lips swimming. but we swam in a deep coldwater mountain lake. i remember that her mom always told me to make her get out and wrap up in a towel when I would see it. i wonder now if it was really an asthma related thing rather than cold

What scared me is when I looked it up, people talked about heart problems.

divinedimension
by Bronze Member on Aug. 24, 2013 at 11:51 PM

The next time it happens, examine the inside of his mouth to see if it is also blue. If that is the case, I'd consult his doctor because it could indicate oxygenation problems. Does it happen if he exercises outside of water also? There are some rare types of diseases that cause people to become sensitive to temperatures that are even slightly colder, and then oxygenation issues arise.

calsmom62
by Silver Member on Aug. 24, 2013 at 11:51 PM
wow. i do know she grew up healthy and had no problems.

Quoting Gingered:

Quoting calsmom62:

What scared me is when I looked it up, people talked about heart problems.

MDWife12
by on Aug. 24, 2013 at 11:54 PM

All three of my kids got it the first time we went swimming in the pool - it was still on the colder side lol

msjaxon
by Platinum Member on Aug. 24, 2013 at 11:54 PM
Yes
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
RADmomma
by on Aug. 24, 2013 at 11:55 PM
My 6 old dd does when we swim in the lake but I can't remember if it happened in the pool on vacation or not....
kidlover2
by on Aug. 24, 2013 at 11:58 PM
1 mom liked this
My 4 year old's lips turn blue all the time and she has almost 0 body fat.
godsgirl26
by ♥Char2theMaine♥ on Aug. 24, 2013 at 11:58 PM

No, ive never seen my kids lips get blue.

lenashark
by Bronze Member on Aug. 25, 2013 at 12:01 AM

My cousin used to get blue lips whenever we swam, he has a blood circulation problem. Nothing that would kill him, just something he has to watch. It might be nothing, but its something you might want to talk to his doctor about.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN