Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Is having another baby shower appropriate? ***UPDATE***

Posted by on Aug. 25, 2013 at 6:55 AM
  • 76 Replies
2 moms liked this
My mother and I were discussing this the other day because I keep getting asked "When's your baby shower?" I was under the impression that after your first child you generally dont have another one. But my friends are talking about throwing me one anyway. By the time I have this baby there will be almost 6 years age difference and I handed all my stuff from dd to my cousins dd. It would be REALLY helpful to have another one. But I'm unsure if it is appropriate? Should I let them or no?

**update*** I discussed it with my friends and because of when I am due (Jan 8th), I am not comfortable having a shower before he is born. It seems wrong to me to, just before xmas, ask people to spend their time and possibly money on me. So we are going to wait to do anything until after he is born and I have some recoup time to recover from my csection. That way everyone can meet my little guy. :)
by on Aug. 25, 2013 at 6:55 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
momof2little1s
by Gold Member on Aug. 25, 2013 at 7:21 AM
Perfect ediquite would say only one. But, everyone does it now. So I say go for it. If people do not like it, they do not have to come!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
BeautifulFey
by on Aug. 25, 2013 at 7:53 AM

Where I'm from, more than one is totally normal. We do it more for the party then the presents.

Adexecmom
by on Aug. 25, 2013 at 8:08 AM

I believe proper etiquette says that if there is more than a 5 year age difference between the siblings, or the children are different sexes, it's ok.  If your friends are hell bent on giving you a shower, go with it.  It's ok. 

TrouserMouse
by on Aug. 25, 2013 at 8:11 AM
Imo, there is no issue with multiple baby showers. I believe all babies are worthy of celebration. If people want to participate, they can. If they don't, no one is forcing them.

NESmith63
by Silver Member on Aug. 25, 2013 at 8:14 AM
3 moms liked this
Personally I don't care how many people have. However I hate hearing people say "I gave all my stuff away so I need a shower" that means your just having a shower to get gifts. Anything past the 1st baby shower should not be a full blown shower IMO. A party, sure, but I wouldn't register or anything like that. I also think diaper showers are a great idea. I had only one because that's how we do it in our family. But again, I don't look down at someone who is being thrown a second. It just shouldn't matter how far apart the kids are or the gender.
sam12796
by Sandy on Aug. 25, 2013 at 8:16 AM

Yes I say let them. With my first I had 2 one with my family and friends and then one from all my coworkers.

With my second I was at a new job and they all threw me one there too. It was a total surprise and I appreciated it. Wasn't huge but I did get some cute clothes and diapers and wipes all very much grateful for.

lesalmi
by Member on Aug. 25, 2013 at 2:21 PM
Its really not "I gave all my stuff away so I need a shower." No I didnt save anything but it was because my cousin needed it and I wasnt sure I was going to have any more kids at all let alone this soon. I almost died with my daughter and had it been 20 years earlier I would have. I didnt anticipate having one at all, I only ask because my best friends asked me if they could throw me one.

Quoting NESmith63:

Personally I don't care how many people have. However I hate hearing people say "I gave all my stuff away so I need a shower" that means your just having a shower to get gifts. Anything past the 1st baby shower should not be a full blown shower IMO. A party, sure, but I wouldn't register or anything like that. I also think diaper showers are a great idea. I had only one because that's how we do it in our family. But again, I don't look down at someone who is being thrown a second. It just shouldn't matter how far apart the kids are or the gender.

calsmom62
by Silver Member on Aug. 25, 2013 at 2:52 PM
go ahead. i only had one shower and my kids were really spread out (16 yr difference btw oldest and youngest).
Arwyn724
by on Aug. 25, 2013 at 3:36 PM

My family has baby showers for all babies, always has.  I've never heard of only one shower allowed until I came here to CafeMom.  I'm in my 50's, so it's been that way in my family for generations.  As a matter of fact, we're just now discussing the shower for Grandbaby #2, coming in November.

Mom2five87
by Member on Aug. 25, 2013 at 3:43 PM
This exactly. We do it for the celebration aspect, not to score gifts. lol. It can be very helpful though. My mom threw me a diaper shower for my last baby (#5). He will be 3 months old in a couple days and I haven't had to buy a single diaper yet. I am currently using the last pack I got at the shower.

Quoting BeautifulFey:

Where I'm from, more than one is totally normal. We do it more for the party then the presents.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)