Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

almost 8 year old and purberty update added udated again

Posted by on Aug. 26, 2013 at 10:00 AM
  • 143 Replies
1 mom liked this

My 6 year old daughter and my soon to be 8 year old daughter we discovered when we took them to the park Saturday has developed stinky armpits....so i will be having to buy them deodorant until i do they are using mine..  What scares me is, my almost 8 year old has been complaining of her tummy hurting for the past week..My husband thinks she is experiencing cramps..  no hair thou i checked when i was giving them their showers last night.. i am not ready to have the talk with her yet...i feel she is to young and not mature enough to understand or comprehend it.  Anyone have any suggestions., her well child visit isn't until next month

Update:  Thank you ladies.  I appreciate all the advice and i do plan on talking to my girls.  (more in detailed for my oldest) very soon..  And for those who asked i was an early bloomer as well.

update: Mobile Photoi did buy this book so when it gets here i will be haveing the talk with her and saving the book for my youngest daughter.  again thanks ladies

by on Aug. 26, 2013 at 10:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
143myboys9496
by Gold Member on Aug. 26, 2013 at 10:04 AM

None..I had boys, not that I didn't give them a "talk", it was a different talk.

Bump.

Bmat
by Ruby Member on Aug. 26, 2013 at 10:22 AM
3 moms liked this

It may be time to start giving her the basics in terms she can understand if you haven't already. And there are several books on the subject written for children. The idea is that you leave the book sitting around and the child finds it and reads it.

inezmm2000
by on Aug. 26, 2013 at 10:23 AM
1 mom liked this

You should bring her to her doctor to talk about it, it may not be puberty. My daughter is 8 and is developing a chest all ready! Byt i did too at her age. She also experienced stomach pains for quite sometime but it turns out she's lactose and tolerant. Also you should ask her if she knows anything about what happens to a girls body, sometimes kids hear things from other kids. I had to talk to my daughter about periods cause one of the older girls on the bus told her about it! Their young ladies and they'll firever be changing,as mothers its our job to make sure their not misinformed. Hope this helps, good luck :)

The_Doodle
by Silver Member on Aug. 26, 2013 at 10:26 AM

If she is showing signs of puberty, then she is old enough to have the talk about it. Don't wait until after she starts because starting your first period with no knowledge of it is horrifying. I know, it happened to me.

TADpole25
by on Aug. 26, 2013 at 10:59 AM
I started my first period at 8... I was a chunky little girl doc says body reacts to the overweight thinking its ready for advancement.. I started growing a chest shortly after and I eventually lost weight but even after my bodies hormones where still out of whack I had super bad cramps heavy flow non regular periods til I was abt 13 then was put on birth control to even my periods and it helped til I was twenty I had a lil miracle baby n after I been on depo and now I don't have to deal with any periods.... but ur babys tummy hurting could very well be other stuff to could be allergies to food body reacts differently to different foods could be an intolerance could be constipation and it could even be stress children can't always express or explain what's on their minds and feeling sick is a way they can explain so the brain defers the stress to pain it happens to some adult to that have problems speaking their mind it gets bottled inside and begins taking a toll on the body
AliKatAK47
by Bronze Member on Aug. 26, 2013 at 12:20 PM
1 mom liked this
My oldest started at 9.
Mena929
by Gold Member on Aug. 26, 2013 at 12:20 PM

I would start talking about it. I have a friend that has a 9 year old dd that has already started her period.

KenneMaw
by Member on Aug. 26, 2013 at 12:23 PM
1 mom liked this

Stinky armpits may be the very beginning, but you may have years to go before her period starts.   Doctors say that once a girl weighs 105 lbs, her period can start.   Many of my DD's friends started when they were 10-11, but there are tall, muscular girls.  

Mom2MikeynLando
by Silver Member on Aug. 26, 2013 at 12:26 PM

I don't have girls but I do notice that both my boys 7&8 both have stinky armpits.  They both use deodorant.  That being said, I remember learning about growing up in school, and wish my mom would have talked with me about it.  I really suggest you talk with her before school or friends do.  Good luck!

Jujubee12
by on Aug. 26, 2013 at 12:26 PM
3 moms liked this

my sister had her period at 8, had a b cup by 10 and a c by 12. You might want to at least talk to her about puperty ( you dont have to talk about sex) just so shes not freaked out when it happens

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN