Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

I am trying to keep my 17 month old on a healthy diet and schedule.....my inlaws are making this hard!!!!!  They constantly give my baby unhealthy food........I have told them my thoughts and reasons, they still continue to do it.  getting close to not leaving my baby there anymmore.  What sucks is, they are my only baby sitters.  

my mil said koolaid is healthy and my sil said..fruit rollups are healthy right????  

AHHHH!!!!!

by on Aug. 26, 2013 at 7:12 PM
Replies (11-20):
GaleJ
by Silver Member on Aug. 27, 2013 at 7:08 AM
Are your parents watching your child while you work or just as an occasional thing? If it is not for ongoing daycare than it might be best if they don't watch the baby if they refuse to cooperate with your beliefs.
nancyschmancey
by on Aug. 27, 2013 at 11:25 AM

That's genius!  MIL is doing this not because she doesn't think the baby is getting nutritious (or enough) food, but because she wants to be the spoiler.  So give her something she's allowed to spoil the kid with - something still healthy but that you wouldn't want her eating every day (oatmeal cookie from trader joe's with lower sugar?).  Kid still looks forward to being with MIL, but she's not getting oreos.

I am TOTALLY going to steal this idea.

Quoting Belovedmoonpixi:

Hmmm... I just remembered. I did buy DD some things that she ONLY had at my parent´s. Those were her super ultra special snacks only available at grandma´s...Mom loved that... might work!

CafeMom Tickers
suzieq83
by on Aug. 27, 2013 at 3:42 PM

I had my in laws handing my 14 month old daughter fries and all other sorts of junk... There was nothing i could do. they arent the kind of family who discuss matters of conflict. so saying anything was pretty much off the table... I had to pretty much give up my dream of a having children who snacked on healthy foods... its annoying... if they are the kind of family yu can easily talk to maybe some liturature on snacking healthy vs junk food. if they read some of it maybe they will understand why you want only healthy foods. right now they are probaby thinking we ate  that stuff as kids and we're fine... but what they may not know is that junk food these days are created in a lab and with no actual ingredients. educating them may help your battle.... mine is forever lost :(

jconney80
by Platinum Member on Aug. 27, 2013 at 4:39 PM
Oh I'm sorry I'd be furious!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
strawberryLVR
by Gold Member on Aug. 27, 2013 at 6:32 PM
1 mom liked this

sugar is not healthy and kooliad is all chemicals, im so sorry. I would  pull my kid out, for real. The only treats my kids get is raisens dried fruit etc, sometimes we buy candy but hardly ever, even natural sugar can be overdone and unhealthy. we eat chocolate sometimes too. I can't even begin about hoe bad sugar is and what it does to your body, both hormonally and physcially...

MusherMaggie
by Member on Aug. 27, 2013 at 8:03 PM
Make your pediatrician the heavy. Yell MIL that the pediatrician wants her on a particular diet to avoid allergies, obesity, compromised immune system, etc.
alexis_06
by AnnaLisa :) on Aug. 28, 2013 at 4:10 AM

have you tried having a SERIOUS sit down talk with her?

TrinnDee
by on Aug. 28, 2013 at 11:11 AM

OMGN! I would be frustrated too!! The whole childcare thing is the issue... Can you afford a daycare? Does your area have Care for Kids vouchers that assist with payment to childcare providers?It truly is disrespectful for them not to honor your wishes for YOUR child's diet!!!

Texascandee
by Bronze Member on Aug. 28, 2013 at 11:15 AM

I will say the same thing here I said to the other mom that posted about her great gramma................if you don't like what they are doing, find another babysitter.  Surprising how when people get free babysitting when they need/want it then turn around and complain about what the babysitter is doing..........

Caera
by on Aug. 28, 2013 at 11:28 AM
1 mom liked this

Deal with it, or find another babysitter. While the grandparents have them, grandparents' rules win.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)