Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

I am trying to keep my 17 month old on a healthy diet and schedule.....my inlaws are making this hard!!!!!  They constantly give my baby unhealthy food........I have told them my thoughts and reasons, they still continue to do it.  getting close to not leaving my baby there anymmore.  What sucks is, they are my only baby sitters.  

my mil said koolaid is healthy and my sil said..fruit rollups are healthy right????  

AHHHH!!!!!

by on Aug. 26, 2013 at 7:12 PM
Replies (21-25):
sunpeaches1
by on Aug. 28, 2013 at 11:28 AM
Honestly. .. allow him to have both! Kids get so picky eventually i think its best to keep him accustomed to all kinds of food. Not saying the unhealthy food is good but 1 or 2 days here & there you're gonna have to eat on the run...& if your kid decides he ain't eating that junk because its not the norm for him you're screwed! Lol! Its the same as trying to introduce healthy if he's only used to junk. I'm not advising to feed him junk weekly, I'm just saying not to make a big deal of it when grandparents let it slide. & if its constant because they are helping you by providing free child care, then you provide the healthy foods easy for them to prepare daily.
sunpeaches1
by on Aug. 28, 2013 at 11:33 AM
I agree in a sense. Inlaws need to respect your parenting still however if they are providing free daycare... hmmm

Quoting Caera:

Deal with it, or find another babysitter. While the grandparents have them, grandparents' rules win.

CorpCityGrl
by on Aug. 28, 2013 at 1:26 PM

Then send them there with their own snacks.  Talk to your mother and let her know your wishes. Otherwise, go find another babysitter if it's really a huge issue.

Personally, I'd let some of it go.  You can't control everything and this is an indulgence.  As long as it's in moderation and you tell your mom that, then it's okay.  If she wants to feed her fruit roll-ups, then compromise and have her feed fruit leather or something similar.  As for the Kool-Aid, talk to your mom and have her replace it with something else or tell her to water it down A LOT.  It's an age old fight really.

KlaresMommy
by on Aug. 28, 2013 at 4:12 PM

They are NOT her daily care takers, she goes when i need to run errands or somethng,, so she can spend time with them , ususlly once a week.  So I dont need them.   Its just that i think they should respect my wishes as her mom. I have just addressed the issue with her  already two times, and its gets ugly, trying to aviod family conflict, but since they wont listen to me, there seems to be no way around the conflict thats going to happen.  

disastermind
by on Aug. 28, 2013 at 7:41 PM

I wouldn't be okay leaving my child with people that ignore my wishes.

If they don't understand what healthy is, tell them not to give her anything and you'll supply her food.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN