Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Prozac and pregnancy

Posted by on Aug. 27, 2013 at 2:49 PM
  • 12 Replies
Has anyone been on Prozac throughout a pregnancy and everything was ok? I'm nervous about being on it and the baby having a birth defect. I'm trying to weigh all options so please be nice
by on Aug. 27, 2013 at 2:49 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
LuLuRex
by Silver Member on Aug. 27, 2013 at 4:12 PM

I don't have any experience but here's a bump for other moms to see.

Love Giving Advice? Join Our Advice Squad!

Jshel89
by on Aug. 27, 2013 at 9:04 PM
Bump
LifeofMiles
by on Aug. 28, 2013 at 10:53 AM
I was 41 at the time of my son's birth.

I took Prozac during pregnancy. My son was born with a birth defect of craniosynostosis. I am told that they are in no way related to each other. My psychiatrist told me that the most common side effect of taking Prozac while pregnant was a small chance the baby could be born with pleural effusion. My son did not have that problem. In my case I felt that the need outweighed the risk. It was necessary for me to be a happy functioning person while my baby was growing. I tried to go with out it, but I found that I could not. Getting out of bed was a struggle. Crying for no reason and so on. You have to weigh the options as you said and make the best decision for YOU and your baby. Remember that what your baby needs more than anything is its Mommy happy and healthy as possible! Good luck to you and I hope my experience has helped.
a5mcfarland
by Member on Aug. 28, 2013 at 11:00 AM
When I became pregnant my doctor took me off of my antidepressant to see if I could function. In my case it turned out that I felt better then ever before and even now almost 7 months pp I still have not been put back on it. It really is a case by case thing and all antidepressant have some chance of causing a birth defect
hugss
Take some *Time Out* for You, Join our Friendly/Supportive group :)
Yesterday at 11:25 PM
Time Out For You Group - CafeMom

Need some Time for You? Feeling stressed? Kick back, relax & take a break. If you're a woman who just wants to have fun, here's the place :)

by Ruby Member on Aug. 28, 2013 at 1:34 PM

No experience with this,
Hopefully others can help you out :)

mggmlala99
by on Aug. 28, 2013 at 2:30 PM

I was put on Zolof with my daughter (19 months now), I just gave birth to my son (2 weeks old) and have been on Zolof the whole time, no side effects. I had really bad post partum depression with baby #1 so my Dr. recommended that I stay on it with baby #2 and I'm glad I did. What does your Dr. say?

RoryPond
by on Aug. 28, 2013 at 2:35 PM
I was on generic Prozac the entire time I was pregnant with my second DD and gave birth to a healthy 7 lb. baby if you feel you need it stay on it the doctor won't let you do anything to harm your baby. My dr made me go off my migraine meds for my first trimester and suffer for 3 months because of the "just in case" but the Prozac was fine
letstalk747
by Joy on Aug. 28, 2013 at 2:42 PM
1 mom liked this

i dont think its worth the risk the same as many other meds

Jshel89
by on Aug. 28, 2013 at 2:47 PM
They said we have to weigh the risk with benefits, but the doctor that prescribed it wand to talk to me about it before I get too far along. I've actually missed two doses and I am nervous of what will happen if I stay on it

Quoting mggmlala99:

I was put on Zolof with my daughter (19 months now), I just gave birth to my son (2 weeks old) and have been on Zolof the whole time, no side effects. I had really bad post partum depression with baby #1 so my Dr. recommended that I stay on it with baby #2 and I'm glad I did. What does your Dr. say?

judybant
by on Aug. 28, 2013 at 2:51 PM

I took Prozac until about 3 weeks before my due date, because it's not known to pass through the placenta, but DOES secrete in breast milk, and I planned to nurse my son. He's 10 now, highly intelligent, imaginative, loving, generous, and funny as all get out! 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)