Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Depression and pregnancy

Posted by on Aug. 28, 2013 at 11:25 AM
  • 13 Replies

I have depression and mood swings normally im on celexa but my primary care told me to go off of them when i got pregnant i havent had a problem until today other then anger im attributing to hormones. I woke up so horribly depressed i cant snap out of it and i hate it i just want to sit here and cry this is not me this isnt who i am...yes there is alot going on in my life a custody battle for a step son kids starting school replacing a car and being pregnant but its nothing new other then the car and pregnancy...im about to self destruct and i dont know what to do...before you give me crap about pills i have tried diet and exercise i have tried herbal things nothing works the celexa was the only thing that evened out my moods and hormones enough for me to be me...

Does anyone else have a history of depression and how do you deal with it while pregnant

pregnancy

by on Aug. 28, 2013 at 11:25 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
disastermind
by on Aug. 28, 2013 at 7:59 PM

I have suffered from depression since I was 13.

I was on anti depressants throughout each of my three pregnancies. For me, the risks of taking it weren't as bad as the risks of not taking it.

All three of my boys were born healthy. They were fine in weight and they were on time.

Mandi
by Bronze Member on Aug. 28, 2013 at 11:54 PM

what about long term affects? they put me on zoloft and now im worried...

mysticatgal
by Member on Aug. 29, 2013 at 7:46 AM
I'm really sorry. I had prepartum depression really bad and it made my pregnancy horrible. All my midwife would tell me is to talk to someone. My husband would make me go for a walk and sometimes the act of getting out of bed and showered helped but sometimes I was sad. It'll be rough but just keeping coming up with positives in your head about yourself, that day, anything and talk to friends.
joeannaanthony
by Member on Aug. 29, 2013 at 8:05 AM

Well, I am not going to advice you on pills, exercise or diet as you have tried all that.What i suggest is that you take up meditation and yoga.Meditation will relax your mind and body where as yoga will help you to keep you occupied along with exercising your mind and body.This will really make your pregnancy easier and less stressful.

disastermind
by on Aug. 29, 2013 at 12:31 PM

Well, my oldest is 15 and he has ADHD however, I don't think it's from my being on antidepressents. His dad is hyperactive as well so I'm guessing that's where it came from.

Other than that, he has no medical issues.

I was on Paxil with my oldest and zoloft with my other two. They are 5 and 3 and I'm not seeing any issues with them at all. They are both well behaved, learn things on time and also don't have any medical issues.

Quoting Mandi:

what about long term affects? they put me on zoloft and now im worried...

NDADanceMom
by on Aug. 29, 2013 at 3:54 PM

were you aware you couldnt take this pill while pregnant?  Maybe next time you have a baby you should get a list of safe meds and make sure one of them is working for you before ttc.  

As far as now?  Depending how bad it is maybe you need to be in a hospital while they find the right meds. 

Mandi
by Bronze Member on Aug. 29, 2013 at 4:26 PM

Celexa was actually on the list of safe meds only i listened to my doctor and went off them. IDIOT. I dont need a hospital i have no thoughts of harming myself or others laying in bed all day and not moving and hoping to never have to get up yes... but im actually good today. obviously you have never suffered from depression or been around anyone who has and if you have well you should be smarter unless im up here saying im going to kill myself there is no need to go to the hospital until they figure out a med meds take weeks to build up in your system as i stated ive suffered from it my whole life i have tried alot of different kinds and the one i was on was the one that works for me now im on Zoloft now which hasnt proven that effective with me but some releif is better then none as its safe for the baby.

Go to the hospital until they figure out which meds...hahaha

Quoting NDADanceMom:

were you aware you couldnt take this pill while pregnant?  Maybe next time you have a baby you should get a list of safe meds and make sure one of them is working for you before ttc.  

As far as now?  Depending how bad it is maybe you need to be in a hospital while they find the right meds. 

pregnancy

AddiesMommy13
by on Aug. 29, 2013 at 6:09 PM

Hi Mandi,

I'm new on here and saw your post, I'm sorry you're feeling so badly. I too dealt with depression throughout my pregnancy as I stopped taking my antidepressants because that specific type was not found to be safe for the baby. I finally figured out it helped me to be around other people...even though I was probably not fun to be around myself! It was much better than being alone and feeling isolated. Do you think you can talk to your doctor and get back on the Celexa if it is on the safe list?  I'm sure you know this, (but just in case),  some antidepressants simply don't work for some of us and work for others. Not to mention it seems that doctors have their "favorites" at times that they prescribe. I wish you luck and I hope that being on here will help you out a bit. I'm wishing you the best!

strawberryLVR
by Gold Member on Aug. 29, 2013 at 6:44 PM

Mandi! I am so sorry. I've been in your shoes. I can help you, I have some vitamins that are being used as anti-depressant they are so amazing at balancing the body. it's like a magic pill. I know they will help you too. message me if you want me to send you info! They have changed my life! HUGS

HelpMePlease399
by on Aug. 29, 2013 at 8:37 PM

The only thing I can suggest that doesnt involve pills and excersise is, go to a spa and relax, take as many showers or baths if they relax you. And try to find a hobbie that will keep your mind at ease for a bit.  I did crochet and it helped, but try not to get to frustraited if it doesnt im sure there is something you can be very good at. Like sing, write, read books. Learn new recepies.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)