Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

School volunteer background check!!!

Posted by on Aug. 28, 2013 at 12:42 PM
  • 14 Replies
I want so much to be a volunteer at my kids elementary but when we received the enrollment package the volunteer form also has a consent to background check! I have been very involved with my preschoolers lives in school and at home up to this point and I really thought I could still be involved- I am a dorky fun loving mom who would do no wrong.
Problem is when I was 18 (I'm 30 now) I was arrested for shoplifting and I think I plead no contest.. Will this show up on the check? I've heard Texas law can go back as far as it wants especially when children are involved... I've heard any arrest shows and they won't see what the arrest was for... And I e heard schools can check back before 7 yrs too! I'm so upset that a stupid thing I did in high school could prevent me from being an involved parent at my children's school :-/ please help me figure this out
by on Aug. 28, 2013 at 12:42 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anoronlight
by Bronze Member on Aug. 28, 2013 at 12:53 PM

I would ask a lawyer, however that was shoplifiting it has nothing to do with the harming of a child. I would... assume that would be over looked if it does show up. But to be honest we don't have that here in Colorado and I would honestly ask a lawyer, many will talk to you on a free consultation. Though I would also imagine it would be case by case, school by school and district by district.

I think its more in line with looking out for those who are child abusers, molestors, etc. But I can't speak for the school district you are in though. Sorry, I hope I at least gave you an idea of where to start though. Good luck!

Amy_M
by Bronze Member on Aug. 28, 2013 at 12:54 PM
1 mom liked this

Just fill out the form.  If they deny you, ask them to reconsider the offense since it was so long ago and a petty crime.  

dingysfamily
by on Aug. 28, 2013 at 1:01 PM

Ditto; I really wouldn't worry too awfully much about that. 

Quoting Amy_M:

Just fill out the form.  If they deny you, ask them to reconsider the offense since it was so long ago and a petty crime.  

Txlisa7969
by on Aug. 28, 2013 at 1:12 PM

If in your place honestly I would just make a call to the volunteer coordinator.  Be up front and explain how you did here.  I am sure they will be more than understanding.  Good luck :)

hugss
Take some *Time Out* for You, Join our Friendly/Supportive group :)
Yesterday at 11:36 PM
Time Out For You Group - CafeMom

Need some Time for You? Feeling stressed? Kick back, relax & take a break. If you're a woman who just wants to have fun, here's the place :)

by Emerald Member on Aug. 28, 2013 at 1:28 PM

Definitley fill it out anyways .. good luck :)

Quoting Amy_M:

frndlyfn
by Emerald Member on Aug. 28, 2013 at 2:52 PM

Yes fill it out anyhow.  You never know if it will turn up or not.  Let the coordinator know as well.

mommy2boys03
by Member on Aug. 28, 2013 at 3:06 PM
1 mom liked this

At my kid's school they check who is on the sex offender list.  If I had that one charge I would fill out the form and when I turned it in be honest and upfront to the principal.  I'm sure they will let you volunteer.

goldilocksbecky
by on Aug. 28, 2013 at 3:40 PM
1 mom liked this

I teach and our county does background checks for volunteers as well.  Yes, it will probably show up.  No, it likely won't keep you from being approved.  You'd be shocked at how many people have some crazy thing on their record, particularly some crazy thing from their teen years. 

Old, isolated, relatively minor charges ususally aren't a problem (shoplifting, domestic disturbance, vandalism, simple assault, etc.)  Here the things that WILL keep you from being approved are sex offenses, drug charges, armed robbery, violent assaults, etc.

And just an FYI, here parents have to submit the volunteer form in order to go on field trips and I know that's common practice in other places as well.  So if you want to be able to join them on field trips, you need to get that form in.

kellybean44
by Silver Member on Aug. 28, 2013 at 5:47 PM

My husband and I have wanted to volunteer for school trips for our kids as well. Our school requires a police check as well. The dumbest thing I have EVER heard is that the school requires my husband to pay and submit a police check when he is a POLICE OFFICER. 

CBMMOM
by Silver Member on Aug. 28, 2013 at 5:50 PM

What's to figure out? Fill out the form. Find out what they say about it,and then if there is something to figure out,figure it out. You don't even know if there will be a problem yet.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)