Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

School volunteer background check!!!

Posted by   + Show Post
I want so much to be a volunteer at my kids elementary but when we received the enrollment package the volunteer form also has a consent to background check! I have been very involved with my preschoolers lives in school and at home up to this point and I really thought I could still be involved- I am a dorky fun loving mom who would do no wrong.
Problem is when I was 18 (I'm 30 now) I was arrested for shoplifting and I think I plead no contest.. Will this show up on the check? I've heard Texas law can go back as far as it wants especially when children are involved... I've heard any arrest shows and they won't see what the arrest was for... And I e heard schools can check back before 7 yrs too! I'm so upset that a stupid thing I did in high school could prevent me from being an involved parent at my children's school :-/ please help me figure this out
by on Aug. 28, 2013 at 12:42 PM
Replies (11-14):
disastermind
by on Aug. 28, 2013 at 7:11 PM

You can always fill out the form and see if it's brought up. If they ask you why, you can tell them why it was you got arrested. They're probably checking to make sure you don't have any charges for assault or any charges against children.

ChicatSixty
by on Aug. 28, 2013 at 9:05 PM

When i was teaching in public school, we had to go in for a live scan and back groupnd check if we CHANGED grade levels or moved to a different school in the same district. It was a pian but I really did understand it. just because you passed in 2000 doesn;t mean you would pass in 2005 or 2013.

Judesmom333
by Bronze Member on Aug. 28, 2013 at 9:09 PM
I'm curious about this also. I have to fill my form out also
NDADanceMom
by on Aug. 28, 2013 at 9:10 PM
Ask what they look for. As a teacher they only look for arrests involving children, violence, drugs/ alcohol and maybe a few other things. Shoplifting or driving offenses (other than dwi type stuff) don't matter.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN