Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Discipline problems in school, need advice

Posted by on Aug. 28, 2013 at 5:17 PM
  • 7 Replies
DS is in 2nd grade and keeps getting notes home from school saying he's talking in class, being disruptive and not getting his work done. He says it's hard, but when we do it at home with him he knows it. I think some of the problem is he is bored. But he still has to get it done and not disrupt the other students.
We have tried taking things away, getting onto him, sitting and talking with him, rewarding him for no notes home... we don't know what else to try. It's so frustrating. It's not a great way to start the year.
Any suggestions?
by on Aug. 28, 2013 at 5:17 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
disastermind
by on Aug. 28, 2013 at 7:18 PM

So, he pays attention fine at home? It's just at school that he's having a problem?

frndlyfn
by Emerald Member on Aug. 28, 2013 at 8:36 PM

You need to stick to one thing.  Perhaps he needs a more one on one type situation and not all the various distractions that go on for a classroom at this stage.  For dd when she is disruptive, we talk to her and take away computer time that night.  The next day she has the chance to make good choices at school and be able to use her free time on computer after school.

NDADanceMom
by on Aug. 28, 2013 at 9:22 PM
Volunteer in the class, find out first hand what is going on. If you can't ask the school social worker or whomever to watch and take careful notes. You really have no idea if its the teachers style, your kid, or just distractions.
Jeanyfer
by on Aug. 28, 2013 at 9:33 PM

My son has had this issue since he started school ( he gets it from me) he is now in 7th grade and at the first meet the teacher I lay it out for them..... My son can be a social butterfly he will finish his assignment then begin to talk weather or not his classmates are done, so to avoid him distracting other students place him at a table away from his peers when doing solo assignments! This seems to work fairly well for his teachers, and they seem to appreciate the honesty and release for lack of better words, I tell them when he is in your class room you have full reigns as far as discipline goes! 

Roo1234
by Bronze Member on Aug. 28, 2013 at 9:39 PM
when my youngest son was in 2nd grade, he decided to be a distraction to the class... one time.
the first time it happened he went back to school the next day with an apology note in hand to read to the teacher and the entire class. by the time the parent teacher conference came around i was told that he was one if the must responsible, respectful students and was using his leadership qualities for good.
stykir
by Silver Member on Aug. 28, 2013 at 10:00 PM

my son was like this in kindergarten. He was bored, getting the work done before others and just talking too much.

his teacher and i were in constant contact about his behavior. She woudl send me home a memo about his behaveior every day so i could talk with him about it. I started a behavior chart at home so that i could track it and then between the teacher and me we figured out some rewards that were appropriate at school and at home. i let him help choose so that it motivated him to work hard and we would talk about it all the way to school every morning. we hounded him. She actually moved him to a desk all by himself for a little while until he was able to earn his way back to the table with his classmates, and she asked my permission to do it before it happened. Basically it took all of kindergarten to just get him to understand what we expected of him at school and that the expectation was coming from me AND the teacher.

Remind him that when he is finished with his work he can silently read a book or doodle or write or whatever he likes to do that is QUIET. First grade was MUCH better and he just started second. He's only had 2 days of school but says it's going well. 

go to the teacher and become a team. I was so lucky my son's teacher cared enough to help us work through it. I felt like she didn't just give up on him and i'm glad she didnt.

allornone
by on Aug. 28, 2013 at 10:02 PM

I would go into the class when he least expects it.  Just keep popping up don't say anything just stand and watch. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN