Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Autistic children starting school....

Posted by on Aug. 28, 2013 at 8:41 PM
  • 19 Replies
1 mom liked this

My son was diagnosed with autism March 19 of this year, is turing 3 in just a week and a half, shortly after he will be starting bright beginnings and will be riding the bus most days. I am terrified and nervous and anyone I talk to about it just kinda says oh he will be fine, he's gonna love it. I know he will love it that isn't my problem, my problem is I am afraid of my child who can bearly talk going to school, let alone riding a bus. Have any other moms out there enountered this? I would love to know how you got through it!

Patty

by on Aug. 28, 2013 at 8:41 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
NDADanceMom
by on Aug. 28, 2013 at 8:50 PM
There is such a range of behavior. I teach special Ed and for summer school i worked with kindergarteners with developmental delays headed to school the first time. Most kids have good and bad days.
Be prepared for tears but trust the teachers want the best for your child and sometimes leaving their comfort zone is scary but it also brings growth.
Learn how the school does things and try to reinforce it at home. It will help make school easier
frndlyfn
by Emerald Member on Aug. 28, 2013 at 8:50 PM

I would keep open communication with the bus driver and his teachers about everything going on.  I bet he will learn so much and i am presuming everyone is aware of his particular needs so there could be leaps and bounds of excitement.

corasmom
by on Aug. 28, 2013 at 8:53 PM
1 mom liked this

My daughter was diagnosed at 18 months and started riding the bus to her preschool just before she turned three. It was a nerve wracking time for me. What I did to help was I introduced myself to her driver on day one, I was nice as could be even though I was scared they wouldn't care for her. I also was in touch with her team at the preschool daily, I asked for a weekly synopsis of what they were working on(she went to a special Ed preschool, not sure if that is what you are doing or not). I also visited the school often, and made sure some of the visits were unannounced. I was on a first name basis with her team members, and again, I worked hard to be nice and not overly hovering or suspicious of what they were doing, but just to let them know I was there. Any information I asked for I received because she went to a special Ed preschool, so she had a plan with a list of goals. I don't know if that is the case for you, but even if he is in a regular school the teacher should be open to any questions you may have and want to know what your goals for his time at school are. Take deep breaths, and good luck!

goddess99
by Michelle on Aug. 28, 2013 at 9:11 PM

I would think there would be school staff on the bus. Does the school know about the diagnoses? Is there an IEP/aide in place? If so, I wouldn't worry too much.

disastermind
by on Aug. 28, 2013 at 9:11 PM

I'd let the bus driver know about your fears, the teachers as well.

jconney80
by Gold Member on Aug. 28, 2013 at 11:49 PM
I will be homeschooling my 3 year old son who is on the spectrum. I hope everything goes OK! I couldn't imagine sending my son to school without an IEP or special accommodations
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Musicalmomma84
by on Aug. 29, 2013 at 6:47 AM

I went through this with my own son. It will be way harder on you momma than your son! The best thing you dado for him is let him be around neurotypical peers. He will learn what it's like to be social and how to act in social situations. If you have not already done so, pick up a copy of Stanley Greenspan's book engaging autism. Another great resource is 10 Things Every Autistic Child wishes you knew. You will get throug this. Welcome to the ASD club! One thing I have learnd is the more verbal you are about your child's needs, the better off you will be!

godsgirl26
by ♥Char2theMaine♥ on Aug. 29, 2013 at 9:49 AM

Can you drive him ?

DaceMama
by on Sep. 3, 2013 at 10:32 PM

Went to the school today and met my son's teachers, and got to see his classroom and see how the teachers run the class, they were so sweet and nice! My son had a great time! I don't have much fear about him going anymore I know he will love it no matter what! I don't even think he will have problems with the bus, he loves car rides! I'm actually excited for him to go cause I know he will have a blast!

mstricey
by Platinum Member on Sep. 3, 2013 at 10:41 PM
Communication... Random visits to the school, yea I'm one of those moms. my son is almost all non verbal so I go with my instincts. Also just watch him for any behaviors he may start that he wasn't doing before. It could be he picked it up from school but it could be something else. My son started wetting the bed and having accidents during the day. He also started putting his hands around my neck and his therapists neck. Turns out he was being verbally abused at the daycare he was at.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)