Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Worrying for no reason??

Posted by on Aug. 28, 2013 at 10:58 PM
  • 9 Replies
Hi,
My name is Michelle and I am the mother of a beautiful boy who just turned 9 months. I am also a special education teacher who works with children on the autism spectrum. Because of my career and the experiences that I've had I am terrified that my child may autism. I have not noticed anything specific to warrant any concerns and for the most part I say to myself that I'm being irrational and that he's fine however I can't help worrying. My son is babbling, very curious and gives great eye contact. Should I worry or is he ok? Help!!
by on Aug. 28, 2013 at 10:58 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
DACIA79
by Silver Member on Aug. 28, 2013 at 11:03 PM
Its normal to worry its part of being a first time mom. To ease your mind why don't you do the autism spectrum checklist and put your mind at ease.
jconney80
by Gold Member on Aug. 28, 2013 at 11:04 PM
Hi! I have 3 kids with Aspergers/ HFA. What makes you worry about him having autism? I'm sure it's hard to not worry when you've seen it so much!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Imjustinsmommy
by on Aug. 28, 2013 at 11:08 PM

if you work with this  then you dont need me to tell you at 9 mos babbling, eye contact & curious & aware is all  great stuff & normal. no i woudlnt worry until you need to worry..  & if you get to that point.. dont worry lol he;d have the best mom for it!

MomofLiam1
by Member on Aug. 28, 2013 at 11:13 PM
I have been for some time now it's just hard since he's still so young, thanks! If you know of a good checklist can you send me a link? Thanks!

Quoting DACIA79:

Its normal to worry its part of being a first time mom. To ease your mind why don't you do the autism spectrum checklist and put your mind at ease.

MomofLiam1
by Member on Aug. 28, 2013 at 11:16 PM
I mostly worry bc of the chance that he will reach his milestones and then regress, something that I know is totally out of my control. I basically just want to know if there are any early signs I should watch out for. The individuals that I work with are a little older so I have no experience with identifying characteristics with a child so young

Quoting jconney80:

Hi! I have 3 kids with Aspergers/ HFA. What makes you worry about him having autism? I'm sure it's hard to not worry when you've seen it so much!

MomofLiam1
by Member on Aug. 28, 2013 at 11:17 PM
Thanks so much!! I think I am worrying for no specific reason it's just all I see!!

Quoting Imjustinsmommy:

if you work with this  then you dont need me to tell you at 9 mos babbling, eye contact & curious & aware is all  great stuff & normal. no i woudlnt worry until you need to worry..  & if you get to that point.. dont worry lol he;d have the best mom for it!

sunpeaches1
by on Aug. 28, 2013 at 11:21 PM
You are going to miss out on enjoying this time w him over worrying about stuff #1 he shows no signs of #2 too young yet to show much signs yet  you can't do anything about except & unless he does start showing some delays. ..
Quit worrying & enjoy your son! You cannot get these days back...
mysticatgal
by Member on Aug. 29, 2013 at 8:13 AM
It sounds like he is fine. I would just enjoy time with him. I get worried because my brother has it but remember that if it happens we will figure it out.
trainlady
by Bronze Member on Aug. 30, 2013 at 4:00 AM

Stop making mountains out of mole hills. Just take life as it comes and if he is autistic it will show later on more prevently. In the mean time just enjoy that happy little boy.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)