Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Baby Shower 'Protocol' Question Another Question

Posted by on Aug. 29, 2013 at 1:12 AM
  • 12 Replies

I am expecting my third baby in Oct and 2 friends decided to throw me my first real baby shower, its scheduled for Sept 22. I was just wondering since I havent been to many baby showers and I have never actually had one of my own... What is proper protocol for saying thank you to the two hostesses? One is doing most of the planning, food, decorating and the other is hosting it at her house and I am sure helping with food and stuff like that. At the last baby shower I was at the mom to be publicly thanked the 3 hostesses and gave them some really nice personalized gifts. Which I thought was nice... But I have never seen that done before... Is that typical? Would it be weird if I did that? Or should I do it more privately??

Also; what kinds of things can I give as a "thank-you-for-throwing-me-a-shower" gift???

Thanks =)

Another question: Do I provide the paper/envelopes for people to write their addresses down so I can send out thank you cards? I want to make sure I have all their addresses so I can send out proper thank yous to the attendees

by on Aug. 29, 2013 at 1:12 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Indianamomto4
by on Aug. 29, 2013 at 1:36 AM
1 mom liked this

Nice candles or scentsy if you know they like those.....gift cards to starbucks, panera bread or other favorite treat spots, if money is an issue what about a coupon for free sitting of their child/children as a return favor? I think thanking the hostesses during the shower is sweet and the norm, but havent always seen a gift given to the hostess.

omgeeitsaubs
by Member on Aug. 29, 2013 at 2:34 AM

When I had my son, My mom had planned my baby shower. If I can remember correctly,  I did publicly thank her in front of everyone at the baby shower but I didn't get her a gift.  I don't know why a gift would be necessary to give unless you really want to.  It's your baby shower so its up to you really.  Congratulations!! :) 

Ladybugmama86
by Silver Member on Aug. 29, 2013 at 9:04 AM

Thank you! I really wasnt expecting a shower, esp. since this is my 5th pregnancy, 3rd living child and no one ever did anything of my first or second babies... So I just really want to show how much it means to me kwim?

Quoting omgeeitsaubs:

When I had my son, My mom had planned my baby shower. If I can remember correctly,  I did publicly thank her in front of everyone at the baby shower but I didn't get her a gift.  I don't know why a gift would be necessary to give unless you really want to.  It's your baby shower so its up to you really.  Congratulations!! :) 

Ladybugmama86
by Silver Member on Aug. 29, 2013 at 9:06 AM

Those are good ideas!! Thank you =)

Quoting Indianamomto4:

Nice candles or scentsy if you know they like those.....gift cards to starbucks, panera bread or other favorite treat spots, if money is an issue what about a coupon for free sitting of their child/children as a return favor? I think thanking the hostesses during the shower is sweet and the norm, but havent always seen a gift given to the hostess.

Bmat
by Ruby Member on Aug. 29, 2013 at 9:07 AM

Thanking them during the shower in front of the guests. I like the idea of a small gift but not during the shower. Something the next day or after the guests have all left. 

Ladybugmama86
by Silver Member on Aug. 29, 2013 at 9:11 AM
1 mom liked this

Thanks for your thoughts =D

Quoting Bmat:

Thanking them during the shower in front of the guests. I like the idea of a small gift but not during the shower. Something the next day or after the guests have all left. 

evilstepmomof4
by Member on Aug. 29, 2013 at 9:16 AM

I have NEVER seen a public thank you so I think that is your choice. Would they be embarrased if you did that in front of your guests?  Look at you hostess as seperate people and decide on a gift that fits them. Perhaps meeting for coffee and giving it to them seperatly to show how you feel, or a few days before the shower. Your a lucky mom for having another shower too. Most moms only get 1 shower and any others are called a "Sprinkle" and it's usually a quaint gathering of very close friends and family. Perhaps a manicure, or a pedi, or gift card to a favorite store or food / beverage store. 

Momofmenagerie
by on Aug. 29, 2013 at 9:21 AM
Check out an actual brick and mortar Hallmark store. They have many small gifts that make you say " oh! That's her!! "

If there isn't one around you, check their website. I'm not big on giving candles unless you are positive they use them and you already know favorite scents.
Ladybugmama86
by Silver Member on Aug. 29, 2013 at 9:30 AM

Like I said, I have never had a shower before so I definitely was not expecting one for my third. As far as putting them on the spot, that would be something I would have to think about... I am not sure how they would feel about that. I do like the gift card idea. I know one of them is a Starbucks drinker and she would love it.

Quoting evilstepmomof4:

I have NEVER seen a public thank you so I think that is your choice. Would they be embarrased if you did that in front of your guests?  Look at you hostess as seperate people and decide on a gift that fits them. Perhaps meeting for coffee and giving it to them seperatly to show how you feel, or a few days before the shower. Your a lucky mom for having another shower too. Most moms only get 1 shower and any others are called a "Sprinkle" and it's usually a quaint gathering of very close friends and family. Perhaps a manicure, or a pedi, or gift card to a favorite store or food / beverage store. 

Ladybugmama86
by Silver Member on Aug. 29, 2013 at 9:30 AM

I am not sure if we have one around here.... But thanks for the tip =)

Quoting Momofmenagerie:

Check out an actual brick and mortar Hallmark store. They have many small gifts that make you say " oh! That's her!! "

If there isn't one around you, check their website. I'm not big on giving candles unless you are positive they use them and you already know favorite scents.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)