Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Widow sues Walmart because of how his wifes groceries were bagged!

Posted by on Aug. 29, 2013 at 4:44 PM
  • 69 Replies
1 mom liked this

Does it drive you crazy when store baggers put just one or two items in each plastic bag? Well, there may be a reason they do that.

A Nebraska widower is suing Wal-Mart (WMT +0.07%) and the company that makes its plastic bags, claiming one bag that couldn't do the job set off a tragic series of events that ultimately led to his wife's death.

The Lincoln Journal Star brings us the story of Lynette Freis, who was shopping at the Wal-Mart Supercenter in Bellevue, Neb., in 2010. Freis bought two 42-ounce cans of La Choy soy sauce and a 2-pound bag of rice, Lori Pilger reports.

The Wal-Mart cashier put all the items into one plastic bag, which broke as Freis was walking to her car. According to the lawsuit, one can of La Choy fell on Freis' foot, broke her toe and made a deep gash.

That break in the skin led to a serious infection that could not be banished even after two surgeries and many treatments of antibiotics, the lawsuit said, according to The Journal Star. Freis died in March 2011.

Her widower, William Freis, is now suing for about $650,000, saying Wal-Mart didn't properly train its workers to fill bags. He is also suing the maker and distributor of the bags.

A Wal-Mart spokesman told The Journal Star that the company is looking at the allegations and will respond in court. "Customer safety is a top priority, and we take it seriously anytime an injury is reported in one of our stores," the spokesman added

Do you think the widower has a chance of winning?.

by on Aug. 29, 2013 at 4:44 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Lovemyshadows
by on Aug. 29, 2013 at 4:49 PM
1 mom liked this

He will probably win.  It's a stupid, frivolous lawsuit.

thatgirl70
by Carin on Aug. 29, 2013 at 4:58 PM
3 moms liked this

I'm all for them training them to properly bag groceries, they (and not just Walmart) can't bag for shit half the time.

NDADanceMom
by on Aug. 29, 2013 at 5:07 PM
2 moms liked this

$65,000 doesnt sound like a ton of money for your dead wife.  I bet they will settle and give it to him. 

momdoes
by Platinum Member on Aug. 29, 2013 at 5:09 PM
1 mom liked this

Add an extra zero to that.

Quoting NDADanceMom:

$65,000 doesnt sound like a ton of money for your dead wife.  I bet they will settle and give it to him. 

MissTacoBell
by Taco Bell Princess on Aug. 29, 2013 at 5:51 PM
Yay strict products liability. Except that he has to prove that they had constructive knowledge of that result. Not tat we'll hear about the end result, since Walmart is good at getting gag orders on their products liability cases.
waytomanykids10
by on Aug. 29, 2013 at 6:05 PM
2 moms liked this

Holy cow, what kind of shoes did she have on to have it cut right through them. Maybe he should sue the shoe company also. *inserts sarcasm*

storkradio193
by Bronze Member on Aug. 29, 2013 at 6:14 PM
3 moms liked this

I don't know about the legal issues, but it seems to me that the responsibility was on her, as you can easily ask for a second bag or for help carrying.

strawberryLVR
by Gold Member on Aug. 29, 2013 at 6:35 PM

they could have used their brains too and realized "oh this might be too heavy" and fixed the issue themselves. sad though.

susannah2000
by Member on Aug. 29, 2013 at 6:47 PM
1 mom liked this

Headline should be "widower," but anyway, stupid stupid stupid. Why is anyone blaming Walmart for how heavy the bag was? The woman, or any other customer, should be able to see that it's too much for one bag, and request separate bagging. What a concept! Or, she could have taken a cart to the car. Instead, she carried a bag that she would be able to physically know was too heavy, and now her husband is trying to extort money because a can fell on her foot. As said in another article, he could blame the can compnay for making the cans too hard, or the rice company because the bags were too heavy. Walmart's parking lot was too big, forcing her to walk too far to her car. It is just wrong to be able to sue anyone for anything that are  not clear acts of maliciousness or neglect.

goodmama85
by Platinum Member on Aug. 29, 2013 at 6:50 PM
I agree.

Quoting storkradio193:

I don't know about the legal issues, but it seems to me that the responsibility was on her, as you can easily ask for a second bag or for help carrying.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)