Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Military Questions

Posted by on Aug. 30, 2013 at 2:18 PM
  • 11 Replies
I just want to get clarification on this subject. My step-son wants to join the military, but his gf won't let him because of their daughter. So the questions I have are as follows: 1) Would they (the gf and baby) be able to live on base with him? Considering the son and her are not married. 2) How often would you be able to come home?
by on Aug. 30, 2013 at 2:18 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SilverOcean84
by Cindy on Aug. 30, 2013 at 2:31 PM

Since your son is not married he will be made to live in the barracks. He wont be getting BAH to have a house on post or live off post. The GF can get a place off post but again he will not be receiving housing pay. He will be able to add the child into the DEERS system to receive medical. After all training is done he will be allowed 30 days of leave each year. He wont be able to take all 30 at once and he will only get leave if it is approved by his chain of command.

NDADanceMom
by on Aug. 30, 2013 at 2:33 PM

OK im in no way an expert but from what I do know they do not take young men with kids anymore as they are doing cutbacks.  Its cheaper to let a single guy with no kids in.  If they do let him in I dont think the GF gets housing.

cadeesmommy0120
by on Aug. 30, 2013 at 2:39 PM

They take them...the Navy does anyway.

And you're right.  GF doesn't get housing unless they are married.  To the above poster that said they have to live in the barracks if they're single, I don't think that's accurate.  I know plenty of single sailors that live out in town and receive single BAH.  I can't vouch for any other branches though.

Quoting NDADanceMom:

OK im in no way an expert but from what I do know they do not take young men with kids anymore as they are doing cutbacks.  Its cheaper to let a single guy with no kids in.  If they do let him in I dont think the GF gets housing.

SilverOcean84
by Cindy on Aug. 30, 2013 at 2:45 PM

In the Army its E5 and below that must stay in the barracks. Since her step-son is just joining he will be falling into that category.

Quoting cadeesmommy0120:

And you're right.  GF doesn't get housing unless they are married.  To the above poster that said they have to live in the barracks if they're single, I don't think that's accurate.  I know plenty of single sailors that live out in town and receive single BAH.  I can't vouch for any other branches though.

Quoting NDADanceMom:

amberleh
by New Member on Aug. 30, 2013 at 2:45 PM

1) Nope. Since they aren't married, before he goes to basic he has to sign custody over to the mother completely before they will let him in, and he will have to live in the barracks. And then when he wants to get married, he has to ask his superior's permission to do so. 

2) Depends on his job, how close he is, how much of his vacation time he has used, and if his commander will approve his leave. 

cadeesmommy0120
by on Aug. 30, 2013 at 2:51 PM

Ha.  That's why I added the caveat that I can't vouch for other branches.  :)  I know nothing about the Army.  And I deal with mostly recruits so I can't say for certain the rules once they are out in the fleet.  

Quoting SilverOcean84:

In the Army its E5 and below that must stay in the barracks. Since her step-son is just joining he will be falling into that category.

Quoting cadeesmommy0120:

Quoting NDADanceMom:

STVUstudent
by on Aug. 30, 2013 at 2:53 PM

1st question... the baby would be his dependent, and would be elligible for all benefits that dependents get, such as medical coverage.  Because he has a dependent, he would be elligible for base housing or a dependent housing allowance.  Because they are not married, gf would be elligible for and entitled to nothing.

As for how often he would be able to "come home", all service members get 30 days of paid vacation every year.  How often, when and for how long he can take vacation is usually policy set by the individual command.  A lot of it depends on how far away "home" is.  If it is within a couple of hundred miles, he may well be able to go home nearly every weekend.  If it is farther away, well, obviously, not so often.

So gf will not "let him" join the military?  SMH...

cadeesmommy0120
by on Aug. 30, 2013 at 2:54 PM

I just asked and was told that it depends on the command...

Quoting cadeesmommy0120:

Ha.  That's why I added the caveat that I can't vouch for other branches.  :)  I know nothing about the Army.  And I deal with mostly recruits so I can't say for certain the rules once they are out in the fleet.  

Quoting SilverOcean84:

Quoting cadeesmommy0120:

Quoting NDADanceMom:

army_5_wife
by on Aug. 30, 2013 at 2:56 PM

He wont get bah (basic housing allowence) because they are not married as she (the gf) will not get medical benefits either. His child will be covered. As for coming home it depends on how much money he has to travel, and when he uses his leave (in the army they get 2 1/2 days of leave per month) most let it had up and take it at block leave. Our post does block leave twice a year for 2 weeks at a time. If he gets stationed within the 250 mile radious then he can visit every weekend. It all just depends. And ive never know of anybody to ask permission to get married. and he will not have to sign rights over.

ebbierowe
by Ruby Member on Aug. 30, 2013 at 3:01 PM

well I know in the air force you get bah or housing if you have a kid however you have to have full custody of the kid. I have a friend with a daughter and she was never married to the father but she has base housing (she isn't with the dad)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)