Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club
So for you moms who have had a c-section what advice can you offer to prepare. I'm only 21 weeks so I have a while yet but we are scheduling mine at the next appointment. I had a vaginal delivery with dd, but had a HORRIBLE post partum hmmorage that almost killed me so they want to do a cesarian this time, and its kinda making me nervous. On the bright side they will tie my tubes at the same time
by on Aug. 30, 2013 at 8:05 PM
Replies (11-20):
Steph1499
by Silver Member on Aug. 30, 2013 at 9:12 PM
1 mom liked this

You wont be able to walk for about 12 hours or so until the meds wear off and you get the cath out but when that happens do not lay in bed the entire stay.  Ive had two and worked in the mom and baby unit in a hospital.  You want to move.  Not so much that you over do it but get up and move.  I found it is a faster and easier recovery.  They really are not that bad.  You cant really prepare for a csection except talking to your doc about what to expect during the process.  

Mrs.Vallo
by on Aug. 30, 2013 at 9:15 PM
1 mom liked this

i agree, I have had three and there is no way to prepare for it. Just know that you may be in some pain when you first start walking again but it will go away with time and the more moving around you do.

Quoting Steph1499:

You wont be able to walk for about 12 hours or so until the meds wear off and you get the cath out but when that happens do not lay in bed the entire stay.  Ive had two and worked in the mom and baby unit in a hospital.  You want to move.  Not so much that you over do it but get up and move.  I found it is a faster and easier recovery.  They really are not that bad.  You cant really prepare for a csection except talking to your doc about what to expect during the process.  

Married the love of my life 6\12\09

Prince Wyatt 9\11\06, Princess Lorelai 7\29\10

http://thevallos.blogspot.com/

HenrysMom68
by on Aug. 30, 2013 at 9:20 PM
1 mom liked this

Take the drugs! The epidural takes a full day or more to wear off and you think you are handling the pain really well - then, wow, every cough, sneeze or giggle and it just sears through you. But it gets better - it takes a while to heal, but you do. 

As far as preparing, plenty of liquid and fiber, and if there is anyone to help after, take it. You may think you have it handled after the first day or two at home, but between being post-op (it is still major surgery, even if you are awake) and sleep deprived, you will want a break. There really isn't anything to do otherwise, it isn't as horrible as it sounds, it doesn't make you any less of a mother because you didn't "deliver" and take lots of pictures, even in surgery...just not OF the surgery. You don't want to see yourself like that and neither does anybody else. But get the baby - oh I would give a lot to have pictures of my son when he was first born, like, before he was cleaned off and looking like a movie baby. And enjoy the attention, once everybody sees the baby, you become invisible for a long time. 

Good luck and don't be nervous. 

(sorry, I didn't get the part that this wasn't your first, so you know some of this!)

lesalmi
by Member on Aug. 30, 2013 at 9:21 PM
Yea this one will be a planned. With dd in 2008 I had to have 8units transfused... so I have been scared of having another baby since

Quoting Corsette1008:

Hello! Just let it happen, be sure to take your iron suoplenent, and let the doctor do the rest :) I had an induced vaginal delivery with my daughter (she's 8 now), 23 hours of hard labor which ended in a c-section with my son who is two now, and a planned c-section with my youngest son (he's almost 10 months old).... I hemorrhaged pretty bad with my daughter, even worse with my first son (I almost needed a transfusion), but everything went great with my youngest son. I went in on Friday morning and left on Sunday afternoon. Good luck!!!

Jsjesmomma
by on Aug. 30, 2013 at 9:22 PM
1 mom liked this
I had a emergency c-section with my 4th and final child. Thank god I did he weighed 12lbs 10 ozs at birth. It's not too bad I didn't have to take too much pain medicine. I just hated the oxygen hose they put on ur nose. It drove me nuts. I had to stay for a whole week with him. ( he was born in a blizzard. Lol) but other then that I agree with the getting up as soon as you can.
lesalmi
by Member on Aug. 30, 2013 at 9:25 PM
1 mom liked this
Oh sweet jesus, yea. that would have hurt just a little

Quoting Jsjesmomma:

I had a emergency c-section with my 4th and final child. Thank god I did he weighed 12lbs 10 ozs at birth. It's not too bad I didn't have to take too much pain medicine. I just hated the oxygen hose they put on ur nose. It drove me nuts. I had to stay for a whole week with him. ( he was born in a blizzard. Lol) but other then that I agree with the getting up as soon as you can.

freemane
by on Aug. 30, 2013 at 9:47 PM
1 mom liked this
Hydrate well ahead of time, they'll probably restrict your fluids which can be annoying (you'll get iv fluids, but I always find my mouth and throat still dry out.)
Pack loose comfy clothes and underwear. Dresses or really low riding pants, you're not going to want anything to touch your belly.
They will take the catheter out if you insist!
If you're still feeling wobbly, don't hesitate to ask the nurses for help moving around.
Take the pain meds! Don't be afraid to ask for more if you're still hurting.
If you plan on breastfeeding, bring a nursing pillow like a boppy. You'll want to keep your little one of of your belly also.
If you are planning on breastfeeding, make sure you let the staff know ahead of time. You can start nursing right away, even while you're on painkillers, but a lot of medical staff won't realize that.
LizzieAnnesMom
by ☆Mrs.Winchester☆ on Aug. 30, 2013 at 9:50 PM
1 mom liked this

Relax. It is important that you are relaxed and calm ( i know, it seems impossible). Walk as much as you can.  Dont over do it though. The more you walk the faster you heal. I had a c section a couple weeks ago and I am already walking three miles a day. Dont be a martyr, take the pain pills lol. Im not going to lie, it is going to hurt. But honestly, its not as bad as people claim it is. Oh and that little pillow they give you will become your best friend.

avulgamo
by Member on Aug. 30, 2013 at 9:52 PM
1 mom liked this
Ask for an abdominal binding afterwards. I think it helped me get around easier and heal faster.
monicas3w
by on Aug. 30, 2013 at 10:00 PM
1 mom liked this

Their were a few things with mine that I didn't expect. The anesthesia was given in my back but unlike an epiduaral at the base of your spine. They went all the way up the spine, I had to sit on the edge of the table and hold the nurses waist to arch my back. It was hard to do with twins in my belly. When I laid down I felt nausous but it passed quickly when they gave me a tiny container to puke in and I actually laughed and said no thanks. What the hell was that gonna hold. Comical. They didn't lower the drapes so I can see my babies being born and when they cleaned them up they didn't bring them near me. They just held them up and then walked off. Mind you I couldn't see anything anyway because I didn't have my glasses on and they wouldn't let me wear them. Those were my one and only delivery and I'm not having anymore but I would have at least insisted I wear my glasses and they lower my drape and bring my cuties to me to I can at least kiss them and say hello.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)