Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club
So for you moms who have had a c-section what advice can you offer to prepare. I'm only 21 weeks so I have a while yet but we are scheduling mine at the next appointment. I had a vaginal delivery with dd, but had a HORRIBLE post partum hmmorage that almost killed me so they want to do a cesarian this time, and its kinda making me nervous. On the bright side they will tie my tubes at the same time
by on Aug. 30, 2013 at 8:05 PM
Replies (21-30):
lesalmi
by Member on Aug. 30, 2013 at 10:08 PM
You are fantastic!! I already told my bf I am going to bring my transfer belt (Im a CNA) and he was going to be walking me around with it if I was wobbly. lol

Quoting freemane:

Hydrate well ahead of time, they'll probably restrict your fluids which can be annoying (you'll get iv fluids, but I always find my mouth and throat still dry out.)

Pack loose comfy clothes and underwear. Dresses or really low riding pants, you're not going to want anything to touch your belly.

They will take the catheter out if you insist!

If you're still feeling wobbly, don't hesitate to ask the nurses for help moving around.

Take the pain meds! Don't be afraid to ask for more if you're still hurting.

If you plan on breastfeeding, bring a nursing pillow like a boppy. You'll want to keep your little one of of your belly also.

If you are planning on breastfeeding, make sure you let the staff know ahead of time. You can start nursing right away, even while you're on painkillers, but a lot of medical staff won't realize that.

cali_gurl
by on Aug. 30, 2013 at 10:14 PM
1 mom liked this

I had a c section, and labored for 40 hours before. Labor was way worse than the c section. You will be sore, for a few weeks to a few months after, but I stopped taking pain pills about a week after surgery. The pain was not as intense as I thought it would be. I think it also matters how decent of shape you were in at the beginning of pregnancy and throughout. Good luck and don't worry. Next time I may just schedule a c section. Message me if you want any personal advice.

alexis_06
by AnnaLisa :) on Aug. 30, 2013 at 10:15 PM
1 mom liked this

i've only had one c section..she was born at 431am..and i was walking around by 11am..it hurt, but not THAT bad..the longer you lay down the longer it takes to heal

lovemymichael
by Bronze Member on Aug. 30, 2013 at 10:47 PM
1 mom liked this

You may feel nausious when you lay down and they prep you. You may also shake u controllably thinking you are cold, but not even feel your body shaking after the epidural.  Just try to stay calm and if you feel sick make sure to tell them to give you something for it.  I had one emergency c and one planned and the planned one was a breeze really.  I wasn't exhausted and if you plan to breastfeed just make sure you keep reminding them that and you want to nurse within the first 30 minutes.  

Momma_1985
by New Member on Aug. 31, 2013 at 12:38 AM
1 mom liked this

I just had a c-section about 8months ago and my first was a csection also. Let me tell you the first csection wasnt bad I was up and moving around the next day. This time around I was taking a showe by myself the second night and driving a week later, wearing my pre pregnancy jeans..My weight loss has been better then before I was pregnant. But do take care and dont try to over exceed yourself, take it easy the first couple of days. But honestly its not as bad as many try to say. Hubby was there and so the baby when she was pulled out.

Corsette1008
by on Aug. 31, 2013 at 7:50 AM
1 mom liked this
My youngest son was the "easiest" birth out of all three. Like other ladies have said, definitely get up as soon as you are told to you can. Start will small trips to the bathroom then walk the halls. Also, stay on top of the pain mess. With my first son, I turned them down after a while because I was feeling fine. Then I started walking and laughing and regretted not taking them. Don't get too worked up, if you have an amazing doctor (like I do), you'll do just fine :)

Quoting lesalmi:

Yea this one will be a planned. With dd in 2008 I had to have 8units transfused... so I have been scared of having another baby since

Quoting Corsette1008:

Hello! Just let it happen, be sure to take your iron suoplenent, and let the doctor do the rest :) I had an induced vaginal delivery with my daughter (she's 8 now), 23 hours of hard labor which ended in a c-section with my son who is two now, and a planned c-section with my youngest son (he's almost 10 months old).... I hemorrhaged pretty bad with my daughter, even worse with my first son (I almost needed a transfusion), but everything went great with my youngest son. I went in on Friday morning and left on Sunday afternoon. Good luck!!!

peachesforme
by Bronze Member on Aug. 31, 2013 at 9:13 AM
1 mom liked this

I've had 3 so here's my advice: 1. TAKE THE PAIN MEDS. don't skip them, even if you feel ok. Take them on schedule. 2. Ask for glue, NOT staples. Staples hurt a lot worse. Glue is much more comfortable. 3. Nap when the baby naps. don't stay awake just because it's daytime. 4. Take those laxatives!  It will hurt to poop if you don't. 5. Yes, the first few weeks after surgery will hurt when you sit up, walk, bend over, sneeze, and cough. Refer to #1. 

mamamiajk
by Ruby Member on Aug. 31, 2013 at 3:59 PM
1 mom liked this

I would make sure you have your papers signed for the tubal with plenty of time to spare. My twins came early and I had to go back in to have the tubal.If you haven't taken a class I would. It might seem scary but the more you know the better you'll be when it comes time for delivery. Congratulations and Good Luck!

lesalmi
by Member on Aug. 31, 2013 at 4:01 PM
Yea, scheduling the csection and tubal is the plan for the next appointment. That way we have all the necessary stuff taken care of

Quoting mamamiajk:

I would make sure you have your papers signed for the tubal with plenty of time to spare. My twins came early and I had to go back in to have the tubal.If you haven't taken a class I would. It might seem scary but the more you know the better you'll be when it comes time for delivery. Congratulations and Good Luck!

Cmgmqmmom
by Bronze Member on Aug. 31, 2013 at 4:04 PM
1 mom liked this

Drink water like it's your job.

With my first two I didn't drink as much as I should have. This time around, I drank water constantly and was able to have my first bowel movement less than 24 hours after the surgery. I had no gas pain at all. Pain meds and opiates can make you constipated.

I was able to go home with doctor approval 52 hours after my last surgery because I was up and walking within 2 hours of my surgery. It will hurt, but the sooner you get moving around, the sooner you'll feel more like yourself.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)