Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club
So for you moms who have had a c-section what advice can you offer to prepare. I'm only 21 weeks so I have a while yet but we are scheduling mine at the next appointment. I had a vaginal delivery with dd, but had a HORRIBLE post partum hmmorage that almost killed me so they want to do a cesarian this time, and its kinda making me nervous. On the bright side they will tie my tubes at the same time
by on Aug. 30, 2013 at 8:05 PM
Replies (31-39):
SamanthaSage
by on Aug. 31, 2013 at 4:06 PM
1 mom liked this
Everyone is different, remember that. If someone says its hard it might be a piece of cake for you and vice versa. For me it wasn't that bad at all. The doctor seemed surprised I didn't ask for any pain meds throughout the night after. I took Tylenol and ibuprofen home but never had to take any. I was slow going a few weeks after but I wasn't ever in any pain. The worst thing for me was urinating for the first bunch of times after. That part sucked.
Aslen
by Platinum Member on Aug. 31, 2013 at 4:07 PM

Chance of hemorrhage is higher with a c-section.

Your doc is an idiot

ditsyjo
by Gold Member on Sep. 1, 2013 at 1:30 AM
1 mom liked this

I've never had a planned on so I don't know how to plan for one...but after ward be prepared to get plenty of rest. Make sure you have somone who can take care of your little one so you can.

plumbobtoggle
by Member on Sep. 1, 2013 at 1:40 AM
1 mom liked this

Take the pain medicine on time, before the pain gets too bad. It's easier to prevent pain than to get rid of it. Someone else mentioned a pillow for coughing and getting up - it really helps. Get up and move around, the soreness will go away quicker! If you're going to breastfeed, I found the football hold to be easiest, since there was less pressure on my tummy and I didn't have to use my abs as much.

refogel
by on Sep. 1, 2013 at 1:54 AM
1 mom liked this

When I had mine, I got my tubes tied also. I was a big baby. lol. I used an ice pack on my incision. and and wore knee high socks cuz I was so retaining water toes to knees.

Q-tsmom
by Member on Sep. 1, 2013 at 2:37 AM
1 mom liked this

Hi, I was an L&D nurse in one of the top 3 delivery hospitals in the us for five years.  There is some great advice from moms you have already, but here are some things you/they may not have know to think about. 

If they are concerned about bleeding this time, have you and/or your doctor considered  autologous  transfusions? (storing 2 to 3 of your own units of blood prior to deliver in case it is needed for transfusion during/after delivery).   - with every transfusion of blood you run the risk of more reactions, but with your own blood- you are totally good.

Talk to you Dr. before hand and find out what they prefer for closing, staples- glue- stitches. . .and how many layers they stitch back together.  Ask how long they typically take to close after the baby is out.  (Faster is not necessarily better- or prettier in the long run)- I don't recommend the staples, though they can help with lowering infection rates, but the scar is worse, and they hurt to remove, The best outcomes I saw were on Dr's that used many fine layers of stitches- so the healing scar was supported so evenly from inside to out- no puckering.     Find out about postpartum wound infection rates for your Dr. and the hospital you are looking to deliver at.  Not all dr's or hospitals are created equally.  If you are stuck delivering at one place- go on the night shift and ask  the L& D nurses who they would deliver with if they were in your shoes/had your history.  

Ditto on the fiber, hydration, consistent pain med use, and get up and moving comments.

Having said that- Please follow the restrictions the Dr gives you- don't lift too much- take it easy on stairs- keep incision area clean and dry, eat healthy amd take immune boosting vitamins etc before and after- and for heaven sakes- get enough back up help so you can rest.  I know mommy-hood and "too tired" go hand in hand- but speedy recovery and  "plenty of rest" are equally matched, especially if your first is a little one running around and wanting to jump up on you.

Finally- don't worry excessively- positive thinking and outlook does much for positive outcomes- (or put another way- stress endorphins/fight or flight just heightens sensations to pain and there is such thing as self fulfilling prophecy)

good luck!  

MochaBerry24
by on Sep. 1, 2013 at 3:04 AM
1 mom liked this

I had a c section on the 8th. I'm still sore but it's totally manageable. Honestly, the pain from my incision was never had enough to need any pain meds. It was the pain from my uterus contracting after the surgery for a few days that made me need meds. Take the meds they offer you and take them on time-before you start hurting. Have someone around who can do chores that involve any bending and lifting. Take it slow-because if you over do it one day, it sets your recovery back three days. 

lesalmi
by Member on Sep. 1, 2013 at 10:41 AM
The placenta broke off in a way where it looked like it was whole but it wasnt so i kept bleeding. I was passing blood clots the size of steaks, my blood pressure dropped so low they thought my kidneys were going to fail, I had 8 units of blood transfused, and my hemoglobin dropped to a 4 (12 is normal, anything less than a 8 is dangerous). I was whiter than the sheets. 2 dnc's made it worse. They were talking about a hysterectomy at 19 before they got it under control. Sadly once that happens the risk of it happening again are way higher. This way they can be sure they get everything out. I'll risk it. Dd almost killed me, I would rather not go thru that again.

Quoting Aslen:

Chance of hemorrhage is higher with a c-section.

Your doc is an idiot

littlebugs2113
by on Sep. 1, 2013 at 11:06 AM
1 mom liked this
I had two c-sections, and the first was definitely better than the second.

take your pain meds!!
rest as much as you can. Rest as much as you can. Rest as much as you can!
use the abdominal binder (they shld give u one at the hoshospital

With both c-sections it took me about three to four weeks to really feel up to par again. My husband stayed home for three weeks with the second, and I got to rest a lot, so that helped.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)