Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Woman faces firing squad after being convicted of drug smuggling....Do you think it's too strict?

Posted by on Aug. 30, 2013 at 9:11 PM
  • 14 Replies

Sandiford, 57, was arrested last year when 8.4 pounds of cocaine was discovered stuffed inside the lining of her luggage at Bali's airport.

JAKARTA, Indonesia — Indonesia's highest court has upheld the death sentence for a British woman convicted of smuggling $2.5 million worth of cocaine into the resort island of Bali, a court official said Friday.

The three-judge panel unanimously rejected Lindsay Sandiford's appeal on Thursday, said Supreme Court spokesman Ridwan Mansur.

Sandiford, 57, was arrested last year when 8.4 pounds of cocaine was discovered stuffed inside the lining of her luggage at Bali's airport. During the trial, she said she was forced to carry the drugs by a gang that threatened to hurt her children.

She was found guilty in January by a district court and sentenced to face a firing squad. She lost an appeal three months later when the Bali High Court upheld the lower court's ruling.

Prosecutors had initially sought 15 years in prison for Sandiford, but the court surprised many by issuing a death sentence. She still has the opportunity under Indonesian law to seek a judicial review of her case and also appeal for presidential clemency.

"We are aware that Lindsay Sandiford's appeal to the Indonesian Supreme Court has been denied," Adam Rutland, spokesman for the British embassy in Jakarta, said in an email. "In line with our strong opposition to the death penalty in all circumstances, we will consider how to support any application for judicial review or clemency that Lindsay Sandiford chooses to make."

Four other defendants — three Britons and an Indian — connected to the case were sentenced to jail terms ranging from one to six years.

Indonesia has strict anti-drug laws and most of the more than 40 foreigners on its death row were convicted on drug charges.

by on Aug. 30, 2013 at 9:11 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Cmgmqmmom
by Bronze Member on Aug. 30, 2013 at 9:13 PM
3 moms liked this
When you are in another country you need to know the laws. We may not think it's reasonable in the U.S. but if that's the law where she was caught, then she needs to face the unfortunate consequences.
liveforever
by Gold Member on Aug. 30, 2013 at 9:16 PM

I used to watch that show Locked Up Abroad...most of the people were caught trying to smuggle drugs. Its insane how harshly other countries punish for things you get a slap on the wrist for here.

Dzyre1115
by Desiree` on Aug. 30, 2013 at 10:59 PM
1 mom liked this

I don't support the death penalty in any case.....

Its.me.Sam.
by Gold Member on Aug. 30, 2013 at 11:05 PM
1 mom liked this

atrocious.  that government is going to murder her over drugs.  nope nope nope.  
 what if she is telling the truth?  even if she isnt... is human life so disposable??? i hope they keep fighting for her.  her poor family.

Arwyn724
by on Aug. 31, 2013 at 12:12 AM

Drugs can kill you, in more ways than one.  Break the law, face the penalty.  I think the US should be as strict as some of these foreign nations are.  I havev no sympathy for her.

Arwyn 724 

trainlady
by on Aug. 31, 2013 at 1:02 PM

While I think a firing squad is a bit over the top I have to congratulate them on being so strict on drug running. If we were a little more strict on it we might help ourselves out of the quagmire that we are in with illegal drug running here in the US. I also have a very hard time qualifying someone being sent to jail for life with no parole for murder. Why are we going to support this person for 60 to 80 years or more and they have no hope of ever getting out of jail. I think we should be a lot stricter on first time drug offenders. It might keep them from doing it again and again and again. Just my opinion.

susannah2000
by Bronze Member on Sep. 1, 2013 at 12:16 AM

It's a really scary thought, and I am very glad I am not her, but it is their country, and they have the right to make what laws they want to. She did the crime, she will pay the penalty. I wish Indonesia was as stringent with abolishing the child sex trade, but that's not likely to happen, since major money is made from that.

taKENheart
by Flovely on Sep. 1, 2013 at 12:32 AM

I totally agree that you need to know the laws in other countries before you visit.  I think most of us law abiding citizens don't think about it but I wonder if there are things we could be in trouble for that we wouldn't even think about, lol.
I think that if it's the first offense then the person should be returned to their country for punishment but I also think that may open another can of worms that will bring up more problems.  I'm not sure what would work really, I'm just typing out loud LOL.

Quoting Cmgmqmmom:

When you are in another country you need to know the laws. We may not think it's reasonable in the U.S. but if that's the law where she was caught, then she needs to face the unfortunate consequences.

crwspringer
by Platinum Member on Sep. 1, 2013 at 12:47 AM
Yes. That amount of drugs was no accident or intended for single use. She very intentionally broke the law and you know those drugs would have ended up in the hands of children.
Sorry their laws are so harsh. She should have thought if that before deciding to do it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
susannah2000
by Bronze Member on Sep. 1, 2013 at 7:05 AM

Quoting crwspringer:

Yes. That amount of drugs was no accident or intended for single use. She very intentionally broke the law and you know those drugs would have ended up in the hands of children.
Sorry their laws are so harsh. She should have thought if that before deciding to do it.

Indeed, one doesn't  "accidentally" carry over eight pounds of cocaine in their bag. It doesn't really matter where it would have ended up. I am one who thinks that if nobody bought, nobody would sell, so I don't see drug buyers as "victims."

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)