Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Baby shower gift for a teen mom?

Posted by on Aug. 31, 2013 at 5:36 PM
  • 173 Replies
1 mom liked this

I'm looking for some ideas on a baby shower gift for a teen mom.  Right now she's with her boyfriend, but they're in no way financially stable and her mother tells me she has nothing for the baby yet (she's more concerned about buying designer maternity clothes with what little money she comes by so she can look cute).

The thing is, I want to give her something that she'll need and use, but that also won't come across as "whatever I threw into the cart as I walked by".  I'm big on making sure a gift is well thought out, but I don't want to go overboard and "reward" her for getting knocked up and buy her stuff I never had for my own kid or things that are cute but non-functional.  Her sister is also a teen mom with 2 kids, but I guess there aren't any hand-me-downs or anything because she is also unemployed and single with 2 different baby daddies that don't pay child support so she sells what her kids outgrow/don't use.

I'm looking at about $30, she's having a boy, and though I know diapers and wipes are going to be the most useful thing for her I also know that my family already looks at me like I think I'm better than them and if give her a gift like that (because seriously, she's a teenager without a job and diapers are the most useful thing for a mom in that situation!) they're going to view it not as being helpful and realistic, but as being condescending. 

What would you get a teen mom for her baby shower?

by on Aug. 31, 2013 at 5:36 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Cmgmqmmom
by Bronze Member on Aug. 31, 2013 at 5:37 PM
7 moms liked this
I wouldn't get her anything because I wouldn't be attending her shower.
tinnaa2000
by Member on Aug. 31, 2013 at 5:42 PM
How about a car seat? Bit sure hiw much they cost.
my4littlegirls
by and 1 boy on Aug. 31, 2013 at 5:43 PM
11 moms liked this
I would do the diapers and wipes. I would also make a little "first aid" kit (clippers, medicine droppers, butt paste, etc...). If you still had money left I would get am outfit to go along with it.

Or

Do a "theme" basket of everything for bathtime. The baby wash, towels, washcloths, shampoo, and things of that nature. You could put it all in a baby tub.
my4littlegirls
by and 1 boy on Aug. 31, 2013 at 5:45 PM
Maybe if you can go in with several people you can get a playpen, stroller, or car seat.
disastermind
by on Aug. 31, 2013 at 6:00 PM
25 moms liked this

My gift for her, wouldn't be any different than one for a non teen mom.

KGreen75
by on Aug. 31, 2013 at 6:01 PM
Diapers, wipes, onesies.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
BraydensMama163
by Gold Member on Aug. 31, 2013 at 6:03 PM
8 moms liked this
Why does it matter that she is a teen mom? She's still having a human baby. Its not like a kitten or hamster.
JoshRachelsMAMA
by JRM on Aug. 31, 2013 at 6:05 PM
12 moms liked this
I'd get her a "GED" study guide.
KellBell0820
by Silver Member on Aug. 31, 2013 at 6:06 PM
2 moms liked this
I say get diapers and wipes, or like someone else said, a basket of bath stuff. I guess you could also call the family and see if they need you to pitch in towards anything, like a carseat or something? I also don't understand how people would think you were being condescending for giving her diapers and wipes? Could you buy diapers and wipes and make them into a diaper cake? Something that would be useful but also be cute for the party?
MadHatter89
by on Aug. 31, 2013 at 6:07 PM
3 moms liked this

If I had to put that much concern into whether my gift would be well-received or not, I wouldn't bring one.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)