Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Hoping for advice and support for my son with Tourettes and ADD

Posted by on Aug. 31, 2013 at 8:23 PM
  • 12 Replies
I'm 39 and a mother to 3 awesome kids. 2 daughters and a son. I'm so grateful that all my children are healthy, but of the 3, my son has had a few struggles since birth. He's an awesome boy, so sweet, loving and so carrying of others. He has had both vocal and motor tics for the past 3 years, but only recently was diagnosed with TS. He's a good student in his 2nd grade class, but has tested below average since last year due to his ADD. My goal is to help him succeed in school and to support him in his struggles he faces with Tourettes. He told me that he thought he was the only one with these "noises and moves" and wishes he didn't have them. I love him to pieces and try to always start positive and encouraging and not a day goes by that I don't tell him how awesome he is.
by on Aug. 31, 2013 at 8:23 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
crwspringer
by Platinum Member on Aug. 31, 2013 at 8:27 PM
He sounds a lot like my niece. Is he on any meds or seeing a therapist?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
NDADanceMom
by on Aug. 31, 2013 at 8:29 PM
3 moms liked this
The good news is most of the time the other kids will be used to it. Ask the teacher if you can arrange for the school psychologist or nurse can do a presentation on Tourette's. be open with the other kids about it and take away the mystery.
happymommy1105
by Platinum Member on Aug. 31, 2013 at 8:35 PM
1 mom liked this

My son is 7 and in the 2nd grade.  He has ADHD! 

We do karate (special Karate class for kids with ADD/ADHD) and we have decided to homeschool to give him some more freedom with the needing extra time and needing breaks from certain activities! Once he gains some more maturity, he may or may not go back to regular public school.  

My goal is to help him be successful.  And I feel like these things are helping him do that.

Mama2DylanD
by on Aug. 31, 2013 at 8:39 PM
Yes, he is taking meds to help him focus in school. The Dr also put him on a medication for the tics. Last year, the tics were not as much of a big deal for him and the kids didn't seem to pay much attention. I believe it just may be the stress of starting a new grade with a new teacher and friends
amonkeymom
by Platinum Member on Sep. 1, 2013 at 8:53 AM
1 mom liked this

Welcome to CafeMom!  Your son sounds very sweet and sensitive.  :) 

You should check out the Raising Special Needs Kids group.

elasmimi
by Platinum Member on Sep. 1, 2013 at 3:43 PM
1 mom liked this

Do you have a Kids on the Block program in your area? They can be a huge help.

Mama2DylanD
by on Sep. 3, 2013 at 7:14 PM

No, I've never heard of that program. Ive just recently tried finding some sort of local support group or other children with TS that he can meet. He has struggled more lately with being emotional about his tics than he ever used to. I will definately check into it. Thank you

zachandannie
by on Sep. 4, 2013 at 6:57 AM
1 mom liked this

I'm guessing you are right and he is nervous about a new school year- aren't we all!  I agree with what the other moms said about educating the other kids in the class, so they understand.  I think most small children can be very accepting. You sound like a great mom! Keep on building him up, reassuring him and providing him the love and support that he needs so that he can continue to come to you and share his feelings as he gets older. 

Montylee1972
by on Sep. 4, 2013 at 7:56 AM
1 mom liked this

Get some videos of TS. Daughter has ADHD, coffee(couple sips) actually helps her.

Scentsyfl
by on Sep. 4, 2013 at 8:43 AM
1 mom liked this

Hello:

You and your entire family are in my prayers, Please be encouraged through your faith!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN