Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

I'm done putting up with

Posted by on Aug. 31, 2013 at 11:48 PM
  • 8 Replies
My landlords son's behavior. Since his mom hasn't given me any advice about what I can do to help make him listen, I have put my foot down. I told him last time I watched him if he can't listen he can sit on the couch till his mom gets home from work.

Just the clarify a few things I rent a room out in the basement and I have no problem watching her 8 yr old son. My problem is and she has the same problem he intentionally will ignore or play games about actually listening to what we are saying. So I figure and I have told him if can't listen to me the first time he can sit on the couch till his mom gets home. I have done it one day and its been a success. I help and watch him for 1 to 2 hours a day.

But my Ds has decided to pick up on his behavior, I won't tolerate it from Ds, I'm not going to put up with it. Today Ds has spent a combined total of 1 hour in time out. This was from behavior of hanging on the fridge, demanding me to do something, or refusing to help out. Ds is four, he also knows mom doesn't put up with it.

Also if ya'll could help out and give me advice on how to get my LL's son to help clean around the house. At this current time I have been trying to get him to sweep, (swifer) mop, and clean and wipe the counters. I was figuring every other day do one or the other, but currently his mom and I do all the above. His mom wants him to do football three days a night plus one game a weekend. He does have an Xbox but mom lets him control it. No cable, no internet at this time. Internet will be in my name if we do get it. But right now I need tips to getting him to help out, and neither of us have a lot of money. I was thinking like a trip to the zoo or aquarium after X amount of helping around the house. I get a discount so its like $6 per person. Or his choice of $1 movie, dessert one night, or family game?

Thank you for any and all help.
by on Aug. 31, 2013 at 11:48 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
notjstasocermom
by Samantha on Aug. 31, 2013 at 11:53 PM
Make the cleaning a game
Bookoholic
by Silver Member on Aug. 31, 2013 at 11:55 PM
I've tired to think how, he acts more like a 10 yr old then an 8 year old.

Quoting notjstasocermom:

Make the cleaning a game

notjstasocermom
by Samantha on Sep. 1, 2013 at 12:09 AM
Oh i thought you meant your son. Why does your landlords son have to clean and why is it your responsibility to make him?
sunpeaches1
by on Sep. 1, 2013 at 12:17 AM
1 mom liked this
My boys are young but they have counting *piggy* banks * i pay them a quarter for each chore they do & so they see their $$ increasing when they add it to their banks.... (I have a coin jar I throw all my change in & pay them out of it right away. No allowance, no iou)
Come up w creative incentives & consequences... try each out for a period of time, don't give up if it doesn't work right away or doesn't work after a few days. Consistency is the key.
Bookoholic
by Silver Member on Sep. 1, 2013 at 12:20 AM
Its a family oriented home, it isn't my job to make him do anything. But his mother and I talked about it and she would like him to help out if she isn't home. I also don't feel I should also have to clean up after him but since we All share the common areas of the house his share in cleaning is appreciated.

Quoting notjstasocermom:

Oh i thought you meant your son. Why does your landlords son have to clean and why is it your responsibility to make him?

Bookoholic
by Silver Member on Sep. 1, 2013 at 12:21 AM
1 mom liked this
I like this idea. I think we'll have to do dimes not quarters here :/ but I think it will work for both us mommies.

Quoting sunpeaches1:

My boys are young but they have counting *piggy* banks * i pay them a quarter for each chore they do & so they see their $$ increasing when they add it to their banks.... (I have a coin jar I throw all my change in & pay them out of it right away. No allowance, no iou)

Come up w creative incentives & consequences... try each out for a period of time, don't give up if it doesn't work right away or doesn't work after a few days. Consistency is the key.

grandmotherof6
by Member on Sep. 1, 2013 at 10:01 AM

well good luck with that

disastermind
by on Sep. 1, 2013 at 12:22 PM

I'd probably just say no games or play until chores are done.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN