Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

what to say when you daughter cries about her size? ETA a picture

Posted by   + Show Post

my daughter it 8 and she is a beautiful little girl... but she is small...petite. it is just her genes I'm 5'1" my mother in law is 5'2".she just turned 8 and she is 4 Ft exactly and 50 lbs, putting her in the 10th percentile for hight and 20th for weight.  so the other night she broke down crying because "It's just so embarassing to be always be the smallest kid in my class... even some of the 1st graders are bigger than me!!!" she was just sobbing and I didn't have any idea how to make her feel better. what would you have done?

by on Sep. 1, 2013 at 3:37 AM
Replies (101-109):
Bajanmama
by Member on Sep. 3, 2013 at 7:53 AM

I would tell her small is cute. She will learn to love her size.

Alwaysmotivated
by Bronze Member on Sep. 3, 2013 at 1:43 PM

Aaaaaaw, just inspire her to accept who she is and that there are all types of ppl in the world unique in everyway some tall, short, thin or fat.. Find some examples of things a smaller person can do and make it fun.. I think as long as positive energy is reinforced she will be ok.. Hugs mamma..

MamaTinie
by Member on Sep. 3, 2013 at 1:54 PM

i stopped growing in 8th grade at 5'3 mom who is 5 nothing and dad at 5'10 always told me:"things only grow until they are perfect, some just get there sooner than others." it means i am perfect for me and beatufil as i am. Tell your daughter the same. mind i have 4 siblings who are 5'6 or taller to!

NikkiPitt0805
by Silver Member on Sep. 3, 2013 at 2:26 PM

Tell her what my mom always told me: Good things come in small packages......and that Gond only lets things grow until they are perfect, some of us took less time than others.

MariaD4
by Member on Sep. 3, 2013 at 2:41 PM
Aww, Best of Luck to her! My 9yr dd (4th grade) is very small. She finds it very funny that her 6 yr sister is the same size as her ( 4ft & 45lbs) And my 6yr dd is just a kindergartener. There are advantages to being small. Chin up pretty girl!
evilstepmomof4
by Member on Sep. 3, 2013 at 5:56 PM

Just because she is tiny now doesn't mean she won't get taller as she gets older. Give her TONS of hugs and kisses and assure her the hieght doesn't mean she is less loved or important or beautiful.

alexis_06
by AnnaLisa :) on Sep. 4, 2013 at 12:23 AM

i have the exact opposite..my daughter is the tallest in her class, she HATES it!!  but i'm 6 feet, and her dad is 6'5"..so..it was bound to happen!  she's in grade 4, and people always think shes a couple grades ahead..i just remind her how special and awesome she is, and that she is just meant to be tall!, maybe she will be a famous athlete one day!! i dont try and let her dwell on her looks tho! eventually the other kids will catch up!!

ditsyjo
by Gold Member on Sep. 4, 2013 at 12:32 AM

Quoting alexis_06:

i have the exact opposite..my daughter is the tallest in her class, she HATES it!!  but i'm 6 feet, and her dad is 6'5"..so..it was bound to happen!  she's in grade 4, and people always think shes a couple grades ahead..i just remind her how special and awesome she is, and that she is just meant to be tall!, maybe she will be a famous athlete one day!! i dont try and let her dwell on her looks tho! eventually the other kids will catch up!!

themissheather
by on Sep. 4, 2013 at 2:16 AM
I was always the tallest. I hated it so much.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)