Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

what to say when you daughter cries about her size? ETA a picture

Posted by   + Show Post

my daughter it 8 and she is a beautiful little girl... but she is small...petite. it is just her genes I'm 5'1" my mother in law is 5'2".she just turned 8 and she is 4 Ft exactly and 50 lbs, putting her in the 10th percentile for hight and 20th for weight.  so the other night she broke down crying because "It's just so embarassing to be always be the smallest kid in my class... even some of the 1st graders are bigger than me!!!" she was just sobbing and I didn't have any idea how to make her feel better. what would you have done?

by on Sep. 1, 2013 at 3:37 AM
Replies (31-40):
AnnieGoolaheey
by Member on Sep. 1, 2013 at 3:45 PM

I was always little.  I still am.   I would find ways to make her feel better about being small.

Mommyof2ninos
by Member on Sep. 1, 2013 at 4:54 PM
Aww my daughter is also petite for her age. She is 9 and wears size 7 :) she has made many comments of why has she not grown and i just let her know that she is perfect the way she is. The key thing is to be healthy and active and that we all come in different shapes and sizes. I am 5'1 hubby is 5'8.
ditsyjo
by Gold Member on Sep. 1, 2013 at 6:29 PM

hehehe I know that feeling...I adapted to being small but it was still embarrassing when I was a 24 year old substitute teacher and got mistaken for a middle school student...I don't tell my daughter that story just yet.

Quoting Pink.Frosting:

Oh honey, she will absolutely *love* it in another 6 or 7 years!!  My now 16 year old daughter got mistaken for a 6th grader last year, lol.  She's really tiny and petite and yes, being mistaken for a 6th grader did make her have a total "ugh" moment.  But overall, she knows she's lucky to naturally have the body, size and metabolism that she has.  Your daughter will come to the point some day where she appreciates it too.  Believe me, I'm just the opposite of my daughter and those who are tiny naturally and without trying are truly blessed individuals!

ditsyjo
by Gold Member on Sep. 1, 2013 at 6:35 PM

Quoting Mommyof2ninos:

Aww my daughter is also petite for her age. She is 9 and wears size 7 :) she has made many comments of why has she not grown and i just let her know that she is perfect the way she is. The key thing is to be healthy and active and that we all come in different shapes and sizes. I am 5'1 hubby is 5'8.

yeah ... my little girl is just naturally one of the healthiest eaters I know...loves fruits and veggies, is semi vegetarian (at 8) by her own choice. She is active and adventurous and so smart which is why it kills me to see her get so upset over being small which of course is something she has no control over

momdoes
by Platinum Member on Sep. 1, 2013 at 6:38 PM

I would have told her that GREAT things come in small packages!

Tooth_Inspector
by Bronze Member on Sep. 1, 2013 at 6:39 PM
I've got nothing. I've always had to cope with being the giant in my life. Every single woman seems to be shorter than me.
ditsyjo
by Gold Member on Sep. 1, 2013 at 6:40 PM

Quoting frndlyfn:

awww i would give her hugs and reassure her that she is perfect how she is.  It is in the genes to be a pixie girl (what i call smaller than average girls).  My dd is 7 and almost taller than her 15 yr old cousin as well.   She has a friend in her grade who is petite and i have not seen any teasing yet happen for that little girl.   Has her doctor showed any concern?

not recently...having enlarged adnoids didn't help her growth curve any... until she had them removed 2 years ago she didn't eat much at all. she literally slid off the growth charts when she was about 4. she has gained some ground and I think she is back on her genetic curve now.

TCain0001
by Member on Sep. 1, 2013 at 6:41 PM

I would give her a hug, and let her know that the best things come in small packages! :)

Tatiana7
by Princess on Sep. 1, 2013 at 6:41 PM
I was the smallest. Tell her it's ok and lots of ladies out here are little but we are tough!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Susan0805
by ~♥~Susan~♥~ on Sep. 1, 2013 at 6:45 PM
Honestly, building her self esteem should be a continuous thing. If my child were to say something like that I would remind them that we are all different and come in a different shapes and sizes, that God made her short just like mommy but that's ok!. She may never be tall but she is good at math? Reading? She has a beautiful smile, she is good a soccer? Etc. I would be careful to continually build her up.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN