Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

what to say when you daughter cries about her size? ETA a picture

Posted by   + Show Post

my daughter it 8 and she is a beautiful little girl... but she is small...petite. it is just her genes I'm 5'1" my mother in law is 5'2".she just turned 8 and she is 4 Ft exactly and 50 lbs, putting her in the 10th percentile for hight and 20th for weight.  so the other night she broke down crying because "It's just so embarassing to be always be the smallest kid in my class... even some of the 1st graders are bigger than me!!!" she was just sobbing and I didn't have any idea how to make her feel better. what would you have done?

by on Sep. 1, 2013 at 3:37 AM
Replies (41-50):
imandia4
by on Sep. 1, 2013 at 6:45 PM
There are tons of good things about being short. We can be faster and unexpectadly strong. There are many careers for shorter ppl also. Like flying some of the jets. Sometimes us shorties come in handy. We can fit in small spaces. It can be helpful when a tall person can't reach a certain spot and they ask the shorties for help. It happened a lot in the army.
ididntdoit111
by on Sep. 1, 2013 at 6:55 PM

Tell her we all come in different sizes. And her size is just perfect. My daughter, who is almost 20 now is very small. She always has been. She 12 pounds at 7 months and  21 pounds at 2 years. At 5 she looked like a 3 year old (size wise). As I mentioned she is 20 now and stands 4'11 " and weighs 102. And nothing stands in her way. Her dh loves how tiny she is.  Size is unimportant as to how she can live her life. Tell her to tell people who always comment on how tiny she  " I am small on the outside and BIG on the inside!"  My daughter still says this!

Schauseil
by Bronze Member on Sep. 1, 2013 at 7:10 PM
Be honest with her, when she grows up it will work to her advantage, atm, small and petite is what every adult woman wants to be.
Lvonlucky
by on Sep. 1, 2013 at 7:11 PM
I tell my daughter how beautiful she is to me EVERY day. I ask her in the morning if anyone has told her how beautiful she is today and the even tho I've told her she says no, because she knows that im going to tell her she's the most beautiful girl in the whole entire world. Then I point out how pretty her eyes are and such.

No matter what size we are we are all beautiful! I don't want my daughter to think she has to be a size 0000 at 14 to be beautiful. I was a size 12-14 and I am beautiful at a size 15-16.
ditsyjo
by Gold Member on Sep. 1, 2013 at 8:06 PM

Quoting Lvonlucky:

I tell my daughter how beautiful she is to me EVERY day. I ask her in the morning if anyone has told her how beautiful she is today and the even tho I've told her she says no, because she knows that im going to tell her she's the most beautiful girl in the whole entire world. Then I point out how pretty her eyes are and such.

No matter what size we are we are all beautiful! I don't want my daughter to think she has to be a size 0000 at 14 to be beautiful. I was a size 12-14 and I am beautiful at a size 15-16.

I tell her all the time how beautiful she is... how smart and strong she is... but she has always been conscious of "fitting in". even when she was just barely 3 she insisted on taking a teddy bear to preschool for nap time even though she normally slept with a Tigger because everyone else had a teddy.

onethentwins
by Silver Member on Sep. 1, 2013 at 8:40 PM

I would have sympathized. You can't fix everything, and she has a right to feel bad about life's disappointments. It's ok. I would have said something like "I know honey, it sucks doesn't it."  and given her a big hug.

onethentwins
by Silver Member on Sep. 1, 2013 at 8:41 PM

Quoting Schauseil:

Be honest with her, when she grows up it will work to her advantage, atm, small and petite is what every adult woman wants to be.

But that's just not true.  Lots of  women would love to be taller.

ditsyjo
by Gold Member on Sep. 1, 2013 at 9:19 PM

I told her "I'm sorry it makes you sad..." I can't change it for her but... 

Quoting onethentwins:

I would have sympathized. You can't fix everything, and she has a right to feel bad about life's disappointments. It's ok. I would have said something like "I know honey, it sucks doesn't it."  and given her a big hug.

Kimmygates
by on Sep. 1, 2013 at 9:52 PM

I would just buy her some insure and monitor her weight

ditsyjo
by Gold Member on Sep. 1, 2013 at 10:35 PM

Quoting Kimmygates:

I would just buy her some insure and monitor her weight

she eats great... and the fact is she small because we have small genes. her height and weight are balanced well. she is growing on a nice curve since she was almost 6

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN