Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

mommy advice on sick 5 yo please. update!!!

Posted by on Sep. 1, 2013 at 2:01 PM
  • 27 Replies

so my ds1 is 5. he woke up today & had a headache & was sorta calm which for  him is " blah" bc normally he is hyper.

we took his temp   rectally.. yes he still lets us & its accurate to why not?

anyway it was only 100.4 not high but at 930am.. we gave him  ibuprohhren   & he seemed tired   & cold even thoughits hot & humid. so we put him for a nap but he refused

he felt hot to the touch  so we temped him again now at 1pm still on meds it was still 100.4!!

heer's  the weird thing.. its not high but he is shivering alot. & seems really cold & yawning. he says he  feels fine. he just seems to be more talkative like  rambling..  making sense but almost like anxious.

so since he refused to nap we put on a movie & im watching him just yawn & shiver.. i feel concerned bc  his temp isnt high & idk why he;d be shivering at such a low grade when its  warm  in here & humid.

i dont see any other symtoms just that he had a headache no coughing no sneexing unless he  is hiding a sore throat or pain bc  he   hates when he is sick & then he cant play.. idk.

i  just got over a cold myself i started  a week or longer ago.. but  idk 

mostly im concerned about the shivering he;s just yawning, strecthing, shivering over & over.. is this normal? of course  he shivered more after he drank cool juice  but he is still doing it  very odd.

ugh & his 1st day of kindergarten is  tuesday! agg

edit.. took his temp with a newer thermonter and got 101.0  isnt this still too low to shiver? plus he is still on fever meds  =/

update!

i wanted to add an update in the op so i dont confuse anyoen  reading for the 1st time.. the fever spiked to 104  so we took him to the clinic & all  test came back negative for now &  she found nothing. she said she;s seen lots of these fever viruses and so  we treated it  with  meds for pain ( headache) and fever & it went down to 99.9 before bed & he seemed better just tired..  im just gonna keep an eye on him tonight bc im worried it will spike as the meds wear off.

2cd update with question please-- so he is still sleeping & im glad bc he needs rest but   his fever meds wore off already &  bc he had spiked to 104 today now im nervous he is possibly in there with a high fever & not ok..  would you go in & check on your  kid    to make sure quitley trying not to wake them  or leave them alone & trust it.. ugh idk what to do & dh is snoring away! 

ok never mind!!!!!!!!!!... the baby woke up  so when i went up i caved in & checked in on ds1 the damn door stuck & woke him but he was so out of it  he fell back to bed he WAS very hot i didnt temp him but  i gave him his meds so he is good for the night now & gave him soem water to sip he took them & hit the pillow was out. im glad i went in now i feel better knowing he has the meds in him to keep his fever controlled  til   the morning at least.

by on Sep. 1, 2013 at 2:01 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
PinkButterfly66
by Bronze Member on Sep. 1, 2013 at 2:38 PM

Sounds like he has the flu, momma.  If he's still on fever meds, then his fever is actually higher.  Keep him warm and hydrated.  Break out the winter pjs and blankets if necessary.

Anoronlight
by Member on Sep. 1, 2013 at 2:45 PM
2 moms liked this

its not low, if you are that concerned you can go buy a new thermonter and try again, maybe try under the arm. I've always gotten good results...just remember you add a degree for under the arm. The shiver is his bodie's way of fighting off infections, viruses and this fever that his body is fighting. I tend to do the same thing. Just give him his medicine and love on him.

Imjustinsmommy
by on Sep. 1, 2013 at 2:47 PM

the flu?? its not flu season. usually fevers are higher with that though. he does get higher fevers  even with colds but i never notice shivers until its higher not 101. hes not  coughing or anything yet. i hope he gets better by tuesday for his 1st day & i also have a  1 1/2 yr old im praying doesnt catch anything.. i just got overa   head cold so id figure thats what it is..  idk but thanks

Quoting PinkButterfly66:

Sounds like he has the flu, momma.  If he's still on fever meds, then his fever is actually higher.  Keep him warm and hydrated.  Break out the winter pjs and blankets if necessary.

PinkButterfly66
by Bronze Member on Sep. 1, 2013 at 2:48 PM

Flu season starts in September (though CDC states October).  And the H1N1 (aka bird flu) starts in April.  My daughter came down with the flu in September a few years ago.  It was confirmed by the doctor.

Quoting Imjustinsmommy:

the flu?? its not flu season. usually fevers are higher with that though. he does get higher fevers  even with colds but i never notice shivers until its higher not 101. hes not  coughing or anything yet. i hope he gets better by tuesday for his 1st day & i also have a  1 1/2 yr old im praying doesnt catch anything.. i just got overa   head cold so id figure thats what it is..  idk but thanks

Quoting PinkButterfly66:

Imjustinsmommy
by on Sep. 1, 2013 at 3:03 PM

we used a newer one the last time  and got the 101.0 i  know its not LOW but for him its not high  its a fever for sure but  he runs higher fevers even with  the common cold. like 103. something usually. we might see that tonight as the day goes on. but usually for him at 101  he doesnt shiver  or  act as sick for him thats why i was surprised. he likes to drink lots so  he def stays hydrated & were  loving on him for sure. just wish  hed nap lol.. we  rather continue to do it rectally bc he still lets us & doesntmind & i know its a  very accurate way no adding on or taing away ya know?  but ill keep  that  in mind when he no longer lets us do it this way thanks =)

Quoting Anoronlight:

its not low, if you are that concerned you can go buy a new thermonter and try again, maybe try under the arm. I've always gotten good results...just remember you add a degree for under the arm. The shiver is his bodie's way of fighting off infections, viruses and this fever that his body is fighting. I tend to do the same thing. Just give him his medicine and love on him.

Imjustinsmommy
by on Sep. 1, 2013 at 3:05 PM

really? i guess u can get the flu anytime really but i never heard or seen in this early. he isnt in school yet & hasnt been in camp for a while im the only one who he  was in contact with  & i had a cold.. im assuming thats what he got  but if it gets worse we'll have to take him in. thanks

Quoting PinkButterfly66:

Flu season starts in September (though CDC states October).  And the H1N1 (aka bird flu) starts in April.  My daughter came down with the flu in September a few years ago.  It was confirmed by the doctor.

Quoting Imjustinsmommy:

Quoting PinkButterfly66:

PinkButterfly66
by Bronze Member on Sep. 1, 2013 at 3:19 PM

Colds don't cause fevers.  He hasn't been shopping with you?

Quoting Imjustinsmommy:

really? i guess u can get the flu anytime really but i never heard or seen in this early. he isnt in school yet & hasnt been in camp for a while im the only one who he  was in contact with  & i had a cold.. im assuming thats what he got  but if it gets worse we'll have to take him in. thanks

Quoting PinkButterfly66:

Quoting Imjustinsmommy:

Quoting PinkButterfly66:

Imjustinsmommy
by on Sep. 1, 2013 at 3:28 PM

no he hasnt  ive been sick . colds do cause fevers. many colds do.. some kids  get higher ones then others but def cold  can come with a fever. he has had several colds with fevers &  most of the time no infections were present &  it wasnt the flu.. pedi said just a cold . not sure  yet about THIS one bc  it just happened today &  he isnt showing anything yet.. but im keeping an eye on him & his fever.

Quoting PinkButterfly66:

Colds don't cause fevers.  He hasn't been shopping with you?

Quoting Imjustinsmommy:

Quoting PinkButterfly66:

Quoting Imjustinsmommy:

Quoting PinkButterfly66:

sunpeaches1
by on Sep. 1, 2013 at 4:58 PM
Shivers normal for even a low fever. A fever is body's natural defense to fight illness. Change in temp, ph, & environmental/food source is best way to kill bacteria & virus. So body turns up its own temp to fight the infection. Shivers is sign the fever is doing its work.
No I'm not a doc, not even a nurse yet, but I'm studying nursing & jusy finished 2 microbiology courses learning about bacterial & viral infections. Keep ds comfortable. Since the fever is still low you can allow him to keep a sheet or blanket to help fight the shivers. At 103 no coverings!
Imjustinsmommy
by on Sep. 1, 2013 at 5:55 PM

thanks.. I know there normal just never saw them on him at that  temp before.. anyway things changed.. he went up to nap again  we tried  but came down later all flushed looking & yes its warm here we have air on bc its very humid & warm out. but now  he was about 1/2 an hr or so off the meds for fever & was saying his head hurt again & was  shivering again.. i knew looking at him  his fever went up so we checked it and it was 104! i was   shocked how fast it went up we used to other thermonter just to make sure it wasnt broke bc its  the older one & the newer one also said 104 so off   he went to the  clinic. we gave him fever meds right before he left & it was maybe 20  mins later they  chekced his fever with  the ones you put on the forhead which personally i think suck but it said 99.8!! 

??  she said it was  accurate & the meds must have kicked in but  dh & i disagree & he felt like he was hottter by touch so idk but anyway    rapid strep was negative, ears chest fine.. didnt check is nose even though we aksed for a sinus infection bc she said he isnt congested at all no runny or stuffy nose nothing.. she didnt  do a flu test bc she said its not flu seasn &  he doesnt have flu symtoms  either i asked anyway bc i have a baby but  she shoed me the  dcd report & that it is NOT flu season & no kid has it yet here.. idk..  she basically said its a fever virus & sh;es seen in alot this summer & just treat it like you would any.. he perked up there & were giving him soup now he seems fine just tired no more shivering.. its all so weird.. kids def  keep ya on your toes!

sorry so long should have made this my update LOL

Quoting sunpeaches1:

Shivers normal for even a low fever. A fever is body's natural defense to fight illness. Change in temp, ph, & environmental/food source is best way to kill bacteria & virus. So body turns up its own temp to fight the infection. Shivers is sign the fever is doing its work.
No I'm not a doc, not even a nurse yet, but I'm studying nursing & jusy finished 2 microbiology courses learning about bacterial & viral infections. Keep ds comfortable. Since the fever is still low you can allow him to keep a sheet or blanket to help fight the shivers. At 103 no coverings!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)