Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Advice please regarding Elementary School choice

Posted by   + Show Post
Hello i am new. Felt like this is a great way to relieve stress and also give and receive advice. My issue is this.My daughter was going to Her school since kinder In the immersion program she did great with pretty high test scores. School is rated 5 of 10. We decided to switch her. Well mostly my hubby to her home school which is rated 9of 10 no immersion. I regret it. She had ok past few days. But i feel like learning a second language and finishing the program is very important. Can i please get your opinion on what you would do. Thank you. We have the option to switch her back but wanted to get some feedback from other mothers out there. Please help
by on Sep. 1, 2013 at 3:32 PM
Replies (11-16):
Mommyof2ninos
by Member on Sep. 1, 2013 at 4:05 PM
Well her test scores are advanced she does really well so i cannot complain. I get along with all the parents and teachers so im happy

Quoting NDADanceMom:

Does she get much out of the immersion school?  My kids are in it and really dont know a ton of spanish though they are middle school and have been in 1/2 day immersion since first grade.  Id stick with the better school.

NDADanceMom
by on Sep. 1, 2013 at 4:31 PM

what tests?  Advnced compared to whom?  Tests arent the measure of everything.

Quoting Mommyof2ninos:

Well her test scores are advanced she does really well so i cannot complain. I get along with all the parents and teachers so im happy

Quoting NDADanceMom:

Does she get much out of the immersion school?  My kids are in it and really dont know a ton of spanish though they are middle school and have been in 1/2 day immersion since first grade.  Id stick with the better school.

Mommyof2ninos
by Member on Sep. 1, 2013 at 4:40 PM
Star test for California. Both schools are rated on that. I agree as far as that not being measure of everything. The way im looking at it is if she was doing well in school in all her grades. Has an established relationship with her peers,teachers staff etc. its a move for no reason except maybe that a school gets higher test results and no immersion. I was against it. Dad was for it

Quoting NDADanceMom:

Quoting Mommyof2ninos:

Quoting NDADanceMom:

NDADanceMom
by on Sep. 1, 2013 at 5:00 PM

The star test is taught to the kids.  I taught in california for 4 years and that test is for classroom use only.   It is not a national standard test like the sat 9

Quoting Mommyof2ninos:

Star test for California. Both schools are rated on that. I agree as far as that not being measure of everything. The way im looking at it is if she was doing well in school in all her grades. Has an established relationship with her peers,teachers staff etc. its a move for no reason except maybe that a school gets higher test results and no immersion. I was against it. Dad was for it

Quoting NDADanceMom:

Quoting Mommyof2ninos:

Quoting NDADanceMom:

Mommyof2ninos
by Member on Sep. 1, 2013 at 5:16 PM
Thats what i heard as well. Thats what my hubby was basing it out of test scores. Because the new school as a whole scored higher.

Quoting NDADanceMom:

The star test is taught to the kids.  I taught in california for 4 years and that test is for classroom use only.   It is not a national standard test like the sat 9

Quoting Mommyof2ninos:

Quoting NDADanceMom:

Quoting Mommyof2ninos:

Quoting NDADanceMom:

Mommyof2ninos
by Member on Sep. 1, 2013 at 5:27 PM
Well i applied for the school and did a intra district transfer since she started kinder. She is in 4th grade but there are no afterschool programs. Out reviews are pretty current but they are test score based.

Quoting frndlyfn:

I do not know how this process work.  DD has just gone to the school that we are in the boundaries for.  Could she enroll in an afterschool program for 2nd language?  What grade is she in now?   I really do not pay attention to school ratings anymore since the reviews are from 2010 in my area.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN